Vegan Rice Bowl with Maple Tofu and Smoked Tomato Sauce
Bowls of grains topped with vegetables, protein and some sort of dressing are not only healthy but can be flavoursome and deeply comforting. This vegan rice bowl with its smoked tomato sauce is particularly good. It’s especially so when topped with tofu marinaded in a pure maple syrup dressing then fried in coconut oil. If you’re running out of ideas for #Veganuary, this is an excellent one to try.
The Delights of Bowl Food
I was lucky enough to win a copy of At Home in the Wholefood Kitchen by Amy Chaplin a couple of months ago. At about the same time I also borrowed a copy of Anna Jones’s A Modern Way to Cook from the library. These two books have completely won me over to the delights of bowl food. Luckily my request to Santa for the latter book was rewarded at Christmas, so I can now be inspired by all the other nutritious but tasty recipes it contains.
I’ve already posted this quinoa bowl with broccoli and pumpkin three ways that I made last month; I’ve made several similar ones since. Nutritious and tasty is my kind of food, as long as it’s not too complicated or fussy. This vegan rice bowl is quite simple, but it does make rather more washing up than a one or two pot dish. It’s worth it though.
Vegan Rice Bowl
With a vegan rice bowl in mind I made sure I had some suitable ingredients for this month’s Suma recipe. I always look forward to my Suma order and this month I had a lovely Christmas surprise, with a sweetly scented bar of orange and cinnamon soap, some coconut shampoo and a Suma bag. For my rice bowl, I’d ordered some short grain brown rice, smoked paprika, tamari, black sesame seeds, nori seaweed flakes and flax seed oil. In the end, I didn’t use the black sesame seeds in this recipe, but I made good use of them in another one.
The idea with my vegan rice bowl is to cook the rice, a green vegetable and a colourful one and then dress them with a tasty raw sauce and serve along with some kind of protein. I had some broccoli waiting to be used up and also some of the braised red cabbage I made before Christmas. This kept really well and tasted just as good on day seven as it did on day one. The smoked paprika was a revelation and transformed a good tomato sauce into an extraordinary one. It also helped make the marinaded and fried tofu pieces into an utter delight. I made the tomato sauce in my new ThermoCook.
Other vegan rice bowl recipes you might like
- Black bean tomato carrot curry bowl with brown basmati rice via Tin and Thyme
- Green Goddess lunch bowl via the Veg Space
- Halloumi rice bowl with ginger carrots and caraway cabbage via Tin and Thyme
- Teriyaki rice bowl with tofu and brussels sprouts via Tin and Thyme
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this vegan rice bowl with smoked tomato sauce, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
Vegan Rice Bowl. PIN IT.
Smoked Maple Tofu Rice Bowl – The Recipe
- 1 large beefsteak tomato - chopped
- 1 clove garlic - peeled
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp flaxseed oil (or use a good quality cold pressed olive oil)
- 1 scant tsp smoked paprika
- 180 g (6oz) short grain brown rice
- 280 g firm organic tofu
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp tamari
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 3 servings of a cooked green vegetable of choice - I used steamed broccoli florets
- 3 servings of a cooked colourful vegetable of choice - I used braised red cabbage
- 1 heaped tsp nori seaweed flakes
- Whizz all ingredients briefly in a food processor, but not for too long if you want to keep some texture. I used my ThermoCook and used the chop function for the tomato and garlic, then added the remaining ingredients and pulsed for 5 seconds.
- Rinse the rice well, cover in twice its volume of water and bring to the boil in a covered pan. Turn the heat down and simmer gently for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and allow to steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the tamari, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup and smoked paprika into a large flatish bowl and mix.
- Cut the tofu into 24 largish rectangular chunks and place in the bowl, turning to cover them all.
- Leave to marinade for at least 5 minutes, but the longer the better.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan until hot, then add the tofu pieces and fry over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Divide the rice between 3 bowls and top with the tomato sauce, which can be stirred in at this stage if liked. Top with the warm vegetables and tofu pieces. Scatter the nori flakes over the top and tuck in.
This vegan rice bowl is my second recipe for the Suma Bloggers Network.
It also goes to Jac over at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays
The post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link to the Optimum Thermocook will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.