Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits with White Chocolate

White Chocolate Cornflake Crunch Biscuits.

Biscuits | 29th September 2011 | By

Sweet chewy biscuits with a delightful crunch. White chocolate, condensed milk, oats and cornflakes combine to make these crunchy cornflake biscuits quite substantial and particularly tasty. They’re easy to make too.

When I first saw the Caked Crusaders post for syrup crunch biscuits, I was keen to make these most tempting sounding treats. I was planning on baking some to take away with us on holiday, but I stupidly didn’t bookmark the post and then couldn’t remember where I’d seen it. I’d even bought cornflakes specially and then had to fend off CT, who is rather partial to a bowl of them. Cornflakes aren’t something we normally have in the house.

As it happened the apple cake we took with us was plenty, so it’s just as well I didn’t find the recipe. Thankfully when I got back Baking Addict had also decided she liked the look of these biscuits and thus reminded me where I’d first seen them.

Random Bakes of Kindess

Vanessa Kimball got such an overwhelming response to her call for Random Bakes of Kindness last month that she’s decided to continue with it as a regular event. Waking up early one stormy and rain drenched morning whilst still on leave from work, I thought of those poor staff down at the railway station.

As I’d messed up my first attempt at a random bake of kindness, this seemed like the perfect time to get a second chance at cheering them up. I needed to be quick so that CT could take them a batch on his way to work.

White Chocolate Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits

The main issue I had was how to get chocolate into the bake? My first thought was to add chocolate chips. But then I remembered how well white chocolate had worked with these halva flapjacks which also contained condensed milk. That was obviously the way to go and so my white chocolate crunchy cornflake biscuits were born.

On the scale of one to ten, I’d put these biscuits at a level three. They’re actually very easy to make, but you do need to scrunch the cornflakes by hand. You also need to roll the biscuit mixture into balls prior to baking. My baking sheets are quite small, so how many you can bake at once will depend on the size of yours. I got eight on each 23 x 30 cm tray and managed 36 balls all together. So with only two baking trays, these crunchy cornflake cookies took me quite a while to bake.

White Chocolate Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits.

Delicate biscuits these are not. They’re more of a cross between a biscuit and a rock cake being quite substantial, both in size and weight. But tasty they most definitely are. They’re crisp on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle with a cornflake crunch throughout. Surprisingly, they’re not too sweet, perhaps because I was rather cautious with the syrup.

CT informed me that the station staff were delighted. I shall be very disappointed if my spies report back that he was spotted red handed scoffing the lot.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these white chocolate crunchy cornflake biscuits, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits. PIN IT.

White Chocolate Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits.

Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits – The Recipe

White Chocolate Cornflake Crunch Biscuits.
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Crunchy Cornflake Biscuits with White Chocolate

Soft and chewy biscuits which are also delightfully crunchy. They're easy to make, substantial and particularly tasty.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: biscuits, cookies, cornflakes, easy, golden syrup, oats, white chocolate
Servings: 36 biscuits
Calories: 173kcal

• 250 g unsalted butter
  • 200 g condensed milk
  • 175 g golden syrup
  • 100 g white chocolate
  • 175 g cornflakes - pluse a few extra for the tops
  • 175 g rolled oats
  • 100 g custard powder
  • 250 g flour (half wholemeal, half plain)
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

• Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat.
  • Add the condensed milk, golden syrup and white chocolate and stir until everything is just melted and combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
  • Place the cornflakes in a bowl and roughly scrunch with your hands to make slightly smaller flakes, but not dust.
  • Add them to the pan together with the oats.
  • Sift in the custard powder, flour and bicarb of soda.
  • Mix well then roll tablespoonfuls into a ball with your hands and place on lined baking trays. I put 8 on each 23 x 30 cm tray and had 36 balls all together.
  • Flatten each ball slightly and press a few crushed cornflakes onto the tops.
  • Bake at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) for 10 minutes or until golden and crunchy looking on the top.
  • Slide onto a rack to cool.

Notes

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 281IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg

1. At Anna's kitchen table

29th September 2011 at 5:53 pm

Gosh, I could scoff the lot too!

2. Jacqueline

29th September 2011 at 6:36 pm

Mmmmmmmm, yes please Choclette 🙂

29th September 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’m sure I’ve made something similar before and they are delicious.

4. Susan's blog

29th September 2011 at 7:17 pm

Love a RBOK and love the look of these too. x

5. Kath

29th September 2011 at 7:28 pm

Ha ha not CT I don’t believe it. That really is a very kind thing to do and if the station staff did receive them I imagine they were very pleased. I love the label.

6. A Trifle Rushed

29th September 2011 at 8:05 pm

Yum! These are just the kind of biscuits my sons love, so I’m baking them tomorrow. Thank you 🙂

7. Baking Addict

29th September 2011 at 10:34 pm

A lovely RBOK! The packaging looks great. These biscuits are definitely very more-ish – I could scoff the lot too! I’m sure CT has more will power than me 🙂 Thanks for the link.

8. Foodiva

29th September 2011 at 11:58 pm

These look so professionally made and packed, they are beyond kindness. I really like the idea of RBOK, I think it’s good for the soul knowing other people will also enjoy our food. That said, I’m thinking of joining in next month!

9. The Baking Gypsy

30th September 2011 at 3:48 am

You have a fabulous site here! I am so thrilled to have found it. You white chocolate biscuits not only sound decadent but look splendid as well!

xoxo,
    Tammy

10. thelittleloaf

30th September 2011 at 6:22 am

Custard powder, condensed milk and cornflakes? Yum 🙂 Love the way you’ve packaged them up too…what a wonderful random bake of kindness!

11. Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane

30th September 2011 at 9:29 am

This is very nice of you, I sure the staff did love it!

12. Gloria

30th September 2011 at 2:09 pm

I love these cookies look delicious love white chocolate! gloria

30th September 2011 at 4:29 pm

They look like my idea of the perfect cookie … and not just because they have white chocolate in them either lol.

14. Gill the Painter

1st October 2011 at 7:01 am

Oh don’t they look absolutely wonderful.

And extra special in the packet.

15. C

1st October 2011 at 7:19 am

They look lovely, but I can’t quite get my head around baking cornflakes! Do they stay crispy in the biscuit or go a bit soggy?

Great RBOK, I bet the recipients were thrilled!

1st October 2011 at 8:47 am

Anna – he he, they were quite scoffable.

Jac – any time 🙂

Janice – wondering why I’d never come across anything quite like it before.

Susan – yes me too.

Kath – no-one’s said anything to me at the station, but I do trust CT really and he said they were really pleased.

A Trifle Rushed – and did you bake them? And if so what was the verdict?

Baking Addict – no thank you, these are a really useful thing to have in my repertoire.

Foodiva – I’m sure most of us bakers are doing this all of the time – it’s a natural thing to do.

Baking Gypsy – thank you for your kind comments and for following.

Little Loaf – Thank you. Shame the light was so bad – I couldn’t get a decent photo.

Xinmei – Thank you.

Gloria – Thank you, I think white chocolate works well in cooking.

Chele – agree, it’s hard to go wrong with this type of cookie.

Gill – thank you. How to transport baked goods and present them is always a bit of an issue I find.

C – I was a bit unsure about this too, but I’ve baked with cornflakes twice now and they have stayed crunchy. If the ingredients were wetter I’m sure it would be a different case.

17. Brownieville Girl

1st October 2011 at 9:42 pm

Actually I hope CT managed to keep a couple for the journey!!!!

What a lovely RBoK – so many people go unappreciated – it must have been so nice for them to recieve such a pretty and delicious gift.

18. The KitchenMaid

2nd October 2011 at 2:47 am

This is my very favourite sort of biscuit, not too sweet, with plenty of crunch. Definitely bookmarking this one!

19. sliceofmylyfe

2nd October 2011 at 4:02 am

So lovely of you to gift these scrumptious biscuits to the Railyway staff. The possible way to show how much you appreciate someone and their efforts.
    Vanessa’s RBOK is such a hit and leaves you feeling so good. I feel like attempting it once again.

2nd October 2011 at 11:44 am

BVG – you can stop feeling sorry for CT, he did get to try one or six 😉 You’re right about unappreciation – hope it helped brighten up one day for them.

KitchenMaid – do have a go at these, they are fabulous bakes.

Slice of Life – thank you. Venessa’s RBOK gave me a much needed prod to do something kind.

21. The Caked Crusader

2nd October 2011 at 5:16 pm

ooh – adding white chocolate…I like it!

3rd October 2011 at 7:03 pm

CC – you know me, I have to get some chocolate in somewhere 😉

23. prwilson

4th March 2014 at 12:31 am

When I do biscuits they seem to end up too soft or too hard – what’s the secret?