Spicy Chocolate & Prune Gingerbread
Summer finally arrived a couple of weeks ago and cooking, especially cakes, suddenly didn’t seem quite so appealing. I had, however, a Transition meeting to attend that Monday evening where we were all meant to bring along some food to share. So despite the heat on Sunday, I made a cake – a prune cake from Unwrapped – it sounded rather yummy and smelled wonderful.
- Melted 125g unsalted butter together with, 100g Maya Gold, 2 tbsp treacle and 3oz muscovado sugar in a pan.
- Sifted 175g flour (half wholemeal, half white), 1 tsp bicarb of soda, 2 tsp ground ginger & 1 tsp cinnamon into a bowl.
- Snipped 125g pitted prunes into pieces and tossed in flour.
- Made a well in the centre, poured in chocolate mixture and stirred.
- Beat in 1 duck egg.
- Stirred in 100g Greek yogurt and 50g water (recipe stated 150g buttermilk).
- Poured into a 2lb loaf thingie and baked at 160C for 50 mins.