Chocolate and Cinnamon Shortbread

Biscuits | 8th May 2009 | By

Completely seduced by a wonderful picture of shortbread in Food, I’ve had shortbread on the brain all week.  So today I thought I’d give it a go.  I’ve never managed to make shortbread which is as delicious as the ones you get at WI markets, so was a bit dubious.  However, adding cocoa and cinnamon gave me confidence because I wasn’t trying to emulate the oh – so – excellent WI product.

This is how I did it:
  • Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 75g caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
  • Sifted in 20g cocoa, 60g semolina, 170g plain white spelt flour and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
  • Mixed this all together, then formed it into a ball with my hands and rolled it out in a round until about 1 1/2 cm thick.
  • Put this on a buttered baking tray and baked for 30 mins at 150°C.
  • Marked surface into squares whilst still warm then left to cool on tray.
  • Dusted with caster sugar.

Luckily, they were delicious with a proper shortbread texture and the added bonus of a cocoa hit – definitely good enough to take with us to friends this evening.

1. cinabar

11th May 2009 at 10:10 pm

Chocolate and cinnamon are two of my favourite things, so I am going to have to give this recipe a go!

13th May 2009 at 6:27 pm

I love this combination too. Perhaps If you do give it a go, you could add more cinnamon – I felt it could have done with a bit more. If you want a real cinnamon hit, try the cinnamon and chocolate chunk cake I made back in February.

3. Kath

17th January 2010 at 3:41 pm

Just spotted this under your latest post and blimey it looks good, I have never tried chocolate shortbread before, will be making this soon.

17th January 2010 at 8:09 pm

Kath it was good – one of my favourite recipes so far!

5. Mostly About Chocolate Blog

23rd January 2011 at 9:26 pm

If I don’t have semolina can I swap it out or do I have to pop off to the shops and get some?

I have to try this after I try the recipe my mom gave me and compare. Mom’s has 3 ingredients (no salt – sugar, flour & butter)

24th January 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’ve always used semolina, but I know most use cornflour. Not tried making it with flour only, but I suspect it would be fine – it’s all to do with the texture. Would be interested to hear your report if you do try them both.