Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Kick of Chilli
This post is a tribute to fellow food blogger Isabella King, who tragically died last month at the age of 29 after a two year battle with cancer. Izzie blogged at Coriander Queen, where we used to find lots of tempting recipes with beautiful bright pictures. Sadly the website has now been taken down. These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are my version of Izzie’s dark chocolate peanut butter cookies.
I only ever met Izzie online, but her warm, cheerful and generous personality shone through. She only ever had good things to say about people, both in public and private conversations. My heart goes out to her husband, family and friends. She is also much missed by the food blogging community. A group of us are publishing recipes from her blog, all to be posted at 11:00 this morning. You’ll find a link to some of these at the bottom of this post. We hope this is a fitting tribute.
Isabella’s friends are running the Race for Life in June to raise funds for Cancer Research UK in her name.
Like me, Izzie had a sweet tooth, so it seemed only fitting to bake up one of her sweet treat recipes. I chose to make these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies because I can’t resist the combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Reeces peanut butter cups are too sweet for me, but these cookies are just perfect.
- 50 g unsalted butter - softened
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 45 g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 75 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 50 g dark chocolate - I used 70% dark chilli chocolate
- Cream the butter, peanut butter, sugar, syrup and salt together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour until just mixed.
- Chop or bash the chocolate so it falls into varying size bits. Keep a few of the larger chunks back and mix the rest into the cookie mixture.
- Leave in a cool place to firm up if needed. My kitchen is quite cool, so this wasn't needed.
- Roll into twelve balls and place well apart on a lined baking tray.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand, then press the remaining chocolate chunks into the tops.
- Bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at 180℃ for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden.
- Leave for a couple of minutes to firm up, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or just dive in and eat warm.
Orange flavoured chocolate would also work well in this recipe.
Coriander Queen Tribute Recipes
Easy 5 ingredient pesto tomato tart on Amuse Your Bouche (vegetarian)
Globe artichoke with balsamic dip on Natural Kitchen Adventures (vegan)
Cider, apple and sausage casserole on Farmersgirl Kitchen
Chocolate orange oat bars on Veggie Desserts (vegan)
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on Tin and Thyme (vegetarian)
Arancini (risotto balls) on Coffee & Vanilla (vegetarian)
Rich coffee cupcakes on BakingQueen74 (vegetarian)
Gingerbread cupcakes with orange buttercream on The Veg Space (vegan)
Marmalade and ginger loaf cake on The Crafty Larder (vegetarian)
Ginger and oat cookies on Kavey Eats (vegetarian)
Amatriciana pasta on Kitchen Sanctuary
Treacle tart on Patisserie Makes Perfect (vegetarian)
Crispy fried halloumi on Supper In The Suburbs (vegetarian)
Chocolate fridge cake on Jo’s Kitchen (vegetarian)
Chocolate almond butter cookies on Rough Measures (vegetarian)
Eggless chocolate chip cookies on Simply Sensational Food (vegetarian)
Boozy decadent hot chocolate on Fab Food 4 All (vegetarian)
Easy no bake blackberry cheesecakes on Casa Costello (vegetarian)
Best coriander / cilantro recipes on Fuss Free Flavours (some vegetarian)
Easy gingerbread popcorn snack on Celery & Cupcakes (vegetarian)
Elderflower and vodka cocktail slush on The Hedgecombers (vegetarian)
Fruit flapjacks on The Petite Cook (vegan)
Tomato, garlic and prawn spaghetti on Hungry Healthy Happy (pesceaterian)
Lemon drizzle loaf cake on Penne For Your Thoughts (vegetarian)
Chicken ramen on It’s Not Easy Being Greedy
Stuffed Nutella cookies on Munchies And Munchkins (vegetarian)
Easy Berry Compote on Eats Amazing (vegetarian)
Caipirinha on Lovely Appetite (vegetarian)