Savoury Cheese Muffins with Apple

Savoury Cheese Muffins with Apple.

Bread & Buns, Lunch | 5th November 2019 | By

Bored of sandwiches for lunch? Try these grab-and-go savoury cheese muffins to change things up a bit. They’re not only delicious but quick to make and healthy too. Flecks of tart apple marry well with salty cheese and there’s also a few spices to liven things up.

Apple and cheese is a classic combination which people have enjoyed for years. They go together like tea and biscuits or strawberries and cream. In other words, neither item is quite as good on its own as it is with the other. The crisp sweetness and tartness of apples cuts through the creamy umami saltiness of cheese. This has to be one of my favourite pairings.

Savoury Cheese and Apple Muffins

When I’m dashing off to work, I sometimes find making a packed lunch a real pain. These grab-and-go savoury cheese muffins avoid that pain. OK, you have to prepare and bake a batch of them, but you can do this at your leisure and they will last for 3-4 days. And really, they don’t take very long to make.

Grated apple & cheese mixed into muffin dry ingredients.

Slightly more work is needed with these savoury cheese muffins than normal ones because you need to grate both the apple and the cheese. But this only takes a couple of extra minutes. It’s fine to leave the skin on the apples, but if you really prefer it otherwise, just peel them before grating.

Don’t think these cheese and apple muffins are only good for lunch though. I’ve been known to have them for an easy grab-and-go breakfast. They also make a great accompaniment to soup for a simple supper. And, of course, they are just perfect for a healthy snack when the need arises. It’s hard to think of eating outdoors right now, but don’t forget these savoury muffins when you plan your next summer picnic.

Savoury Cheese and Apple Lunch Muffin with Cress.

They’re particularly delicious eaten warm from the oven. I’m also rather partial to them in sandwich form with a little butter and some cress. But if you can’t face eating the same thing several days running, don’t panic. These cheesy apple muffins freeze really well. Just pack them into a suitable sized container and pop them in the freezer. They will be fine for up to three months.

Don’t Over Mix

Like most muffin recipes, these savoury cheese muffins don’t require much effort. It’s a simple process of mixing the wet ingredients into the dry. The real key to a good muffin is not to over mix. You just need to combine the ingredients with as few stirs as possible. This helps to give a lovely light texture. Use a knife or a fork to stir the mixture rather than a spoon, which is my top tip for preventing it being over mixed.

As soon as you’ve combined the ingredients into a batter, spoon into muffin holes and bake.

Do I Need To Use Paper Muffin Cases

The simple answer to this is no. Just grease your muffin holes with oil or butter before filling with the cheese and apple mixture. I use silicone moulds as the muffins come out really easily.

Ingredients for Savoury Cheese Muffins

What Sort of Cheese Can I Use?

I used mature cheddar cheese as I usually have some stored in my fridge. It’s also easy to get hold of and relative cheap. But most well flavoured hard cheeses would work in these savoury cheese muffins. Red Leicester, Gruyère or Double Gloucester, for example, would all be good.

Does it Matter What Apples I Use?

When it comes to the apple, it’s best to use a tart flavoursome one where possible. A large cooking apple is ideal. I used windfalls as I have a load of them knocking around in the garden at the moment. But the most important thing is to use what you have to hand. The beauty of these savoury cheese and apple muffins is that you shouldn’t need to go on a shopping trip to buy anything.

Do I Have to Use Quinoa Flour?

I’ve added quinoa flour to this recipe to give a bit of extra nutrition. Quinoa is very good for that. But if you don’t have any or are unable to find any, just use 100% wholemeal spelt flour instead. Spelt creates a lovely light textured muffin and as regular readers know, it’s my favourite baking flour. However, a half wholemeal, half plain flour mix is probably the next best thing.

Savoury Cheese and Apple Muffin broken in half.

Can I Use Powdered Mustard?

You can use either ready made mustard or powdered. If you use the ready made, add it along with the eggs. If you use powdered, add it along with the other dry ingredients.

Where Do I Get Sour Milk?

If you’re lucky, you might get naturally occurring sour milk. Leave your milk in the fridge long enough and it will either go off or go sour. You’ll know the difference. Raw milk is great for this and when I had access to it, I used sour milk a lot in my baking. Having said that, it’s really easy to create a cheat’s version. Just add a tsp of lemon juice to 200ml milk. Stir and leave for five minutes to thicken.

Savoury cheese and apple muffins cooling on a rack.

Alternative Muffin Flavours

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these savoury cheese muffins with apple, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Cheese and Apple Savoury Muffins. PIN IT.

Cheese and apple savoury muffins.

Savoury Cheese Muffins with Apple – The Recipe

Savoury Cheese Muffins with Apple.
Print Pin
5 from 11 votes

Savoury Cheese Muffins with Apple

Delicious but quick to make and healthy too. Flecks of tart apple marry well with salty cheese and there's a few spices in there to keep things interesting.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Course: Breakfast, Lunch, Supper
Cuisine: British
Keyword: apples, cheese, muffins, quinoa flour, savoury, wholemeal spelt flour
Servings: 12 muffins

• 200 g wholemeal spelt flour
  • 50 g quinoa flour (or just use more spelt)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ½ tsp fine sea salt
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 100 g mature cheddar cheese - grated (reserve 20g for the top)
  • 1 large flavoursome apple or two smaller ones - cored and grated
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp English mustard
  • 4 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
  • 200 ml kefir or sour milk

• Pre-heat your oven to 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4).
  • Place all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and give them a quick whisk. This will make sure everything is evenly mixed and there are no lumps. Alternatively sieve the dry ingredients into the bowl.
  • Stir in the grated cheese and apple.
  • Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients, ie the eggs, mustard, oil and kefir or sour milk.
  • Stir with a knife or fork from the inside out until everything is just combined. Try not to over mix.
  • Divide the mixture between 12 greased or lined muffin cases. Top with the reserved grated cheese.
  • Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 25 minutes or until the muffins are well risen and golden on top.
  • Allow to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Alternatively devour whilst still warm.

Notes

If you don't have any natural sour milk, you can easily make some. Just add a tsp of lemon juice to 200ml milk. Stir and leave for five minutes to thicken.
You can use either ready made mustard or powdered. If you use the ready made, add it along with the eggs. If you use powdered, whisk it with the other dry ingredients.

Sharing

I’m sharing this recipe for savoury cheese and apple muffins with Recipes Made Easy for #CookBlogShare. It also goes to Jo’s Kitchen Larder and Apply to Face Blog for #BakingCrumbs.

1. Leslie

5th November 2019 at 6:59 pm

I love this recipe! It will be perfect to pack for my son’s lunch. He needs more variety in his lunch box. This is perfect!

6th November 2019 at 1:38 pm

These muffins are just brilliant for lunchboxes. You can always leave out the chilli or swap it for something else if your son is sensitive to it.

2. angiesrecipes

5th November 2019 at 7:32 pm

Cheddar and apple are wonderful together. These muffins look fantastic!

6th November 2019 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Angie. Apple and cheese is one of my favourite combinations.

3. Helen - Cooking with my kids

6th November 2019 at 10:50 am

I love the sound of these. I’m very bored of sandwiches at lunch time so these sound like the perfect alternative.

6th November 2019 at 1:36 pm

What’s good about them is you can make 12 at once and then they last a few days. I really hate making sandwiches when I’m dashing off to work.

4. johanna @green gourmet giraffe

6th November 2019 at 12:19 pm

These sound lovely – I’ve tried the apple and cheese combo a few times and not always loved it – esp in a sweet cake – but yours sound great! I am a big fan of soup and scones in winter but it is more picnic weather here!

6th November 2019 at 1:35 pm

Yes, I’mm not so sure about the sweet apple and cheese combo either. But it sounds like these would be perfect for your lovely picnic weather. Hard to imagine picnics at the moment.

5. Lesley Garden

6th November 2019 at 3:19 pm

I love to look of these savoury muffins. Cheese scones are easily my favourite scone, but I’ve never used cheese in a muffin and am now asking why not. Like the addition of apple and mustard to the mix. I will have to try these. Thank you for sharing to #cookblogshare

6th November 2019 at 4:51 pm

If you like cheese scones, you’ll love these too. I adore cheese scones too, but these are easier to make, keep better and aren’t as crumbly.

6. Sandhya Ramakrishnan

6th November 2019 at 3:53 pm

I love savory muffin and using whole grain flours is a great idea. I love the earthiness of whole grain flours and I am eager to try the taste of apple and cheese together. This is a great ‘on the go’ breakfast option.

6th November 2019 at 4:53 pm

I nearly always bake with whole grain flours. I’ve done it all my life because not only are they much better for you, but they taste good too.

7. Emmeline

6th November 2019 at 7:02 pm

This is such a great idea! You had me at cheese 😉

7th November 2019 at 5:53 pm

I’m with you there, cheese generally does it for me too.

8. Melanie

7th November 2019 at 12:33 am

Hello could I use a non dairy milk instead of kefir?

7th November 2019 at 5:55 pm

I’ve not tried souring non-dairy milk, so I don’t quite know how it would behave. You really want something that’s a little bit thicker than just milk. So, maybe try adding a little lemon juice as I’ve suggested in the post and see if it thickens up. If it doesn’t it might be an idea to use a bit less milk so the mixture isn’t too wet.

9. Janice Pattie

7th November 2019 at 12:29 pm

I love a savoury muffin or scone. The addition of the apple is a really nice touch, and these would be great with a nice bowl of soup!

7th November 2019 at 5:57 pm

They go with soup really well. We had the last of them with a bowl and it was all very satisfying.

10. Rosemary

8th November 2019 at 11:04 am

I make a lot of savoury muffins as they are a great lunch-box staple but have never tried cheese and apple. It sounds a perfect flavour combination and I will certainly be making these.

8th November 2019 at 7:18 pm

They are so good for lunches. Cheese and apple is a lovely combination, but now I’m intrigued to know what goes into yours?

11. Jo Allison

8th November 2019 at 2:39 pm

I make all sorts of savoury muffins for my boys lunchboxes all the time to jazz things up a bit and of course to sneak some goodness from the certain veggies they would otherwise not touch lol. I will be adding these apple and cheese ones to my repertoire for sure as I know we will all love them! Thank you for sharing your recipe with #BakingCrumbs 🙂

8th November 2019 at 7:19 pm

Thanks Jo. Savoury muffins are a great way to get that sneaky veg in, not that these have any. But keep the skin on the apples and they’ll be getting some goodness there.

12. Sylvie

9th November 2019 at 12:11 am

I love a good savoury muffin and the addition of apples is just great! Couldnt think of a better way to eat more fruits 😉

12th November 2019 at 6:08 pm

Hahaha, I’m not sure you’d get much of your five a day from eating one of these muffins, but they go really well with the cheese.

13. Sisley White

11th November 2019 at 4:35 pm

I will be making these for the next movie night. I’ve been on the hunt for a while for cheese muffin recipe. This looks gorgeous.

12th November 2019 at 6:07 pm

Oh what a good idea. I’ve been having them for packed lunches, but a movie night munch sounds much preferable.

14. Kavita Favelle

12th November 2019 at 7:51 am

These look wonderful. I’ve not made muffins for too long and even then, the last ones were sweet. These look great for packed lunches.

12th November 2019 at 6:03 pm

Thank you. Fabulous for packed lunches indeed and in so many ways.

15. Michelle Rolfe

13th November 2019 at 6:27 pm

I love a savoury muffin and these look tasty Choclette! I must try them soon, and I really like the use of spelt flour and kefir in them. Michellex #CookBlogShare #BakingCrumbs

14th November 2019 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Michelle. I don’t know why I don’t make them more often, they’re really tasty, quite healthy and so much easier as a packed lunch than sandwiches.

16. Jenny Walters

17th November 2019 at 5:46 pm

What a tasty recipe and just perfect for so many occasions. I actually eat cheddar and apple together most days for my lunch! It is such a great combo so I am loving these beauties. Thank you so much for bringing them to #BakingCrumbs

17th November 2019 at 6:59 pm

I have to confess that cheese and apple is often my go to lunch too. But these muffins are good for livening up the combination from time to time.