Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts – Packed Full of Vegan Umami Goodness

Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts and Butter Beans on Toast - Delicious, Nutritious and Vegan

If you like a quick and easy spread that’s full of umami flavours and packed with goodness, this mushroom pâté with walnuts and butter beans might be for you. It’s easy to make, delicious for vegetarians and great for vegans too.

Veganuary – Day 9

Following on from my Veganuary Day 5 post with beetroot miso soup, I’m pleased to say I’m still enjoying the challenge. For breakfast, I have these 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes to inspire me. Furthermore, on the days I’m working from home, lunch has proved to be no problem at all. In fact I’ve been relishing it and mostly have something different every day. However, I do need something quick and easy for a packed lunch when I’m working in my other job.

Sandwiches are by far and away the easiest thing to make, carry and eat, but what to put in them? I have my vegan cream cheese recipe, which is really good, but variety is the spice of life and all that. I require something else.

Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts & Butter Beans

The something else turns out to be this mushroom pâté with walnuts and butter beans. I’ve made mushroom pâté many times before, but never a vegan one. Normally, I’d use cream cheese. So, the question was, what could I replace it with to give the creamy quality which I like so much? The answer was very simple, butter beans. As their name suggests, these beans, otherwise known as lima beans are really quite buttery in texture and flavour. They’re my favourite beans for making dips and spreads as they mash down to a smooth and creamy paste.

Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts and Butter Beans - Delicious, Nutritious and Vegan

Walnuts

Not that I wanted my mushroom pâté to be completely smooth. That’s what the walnuts are there for; a bit of texture as well as additional richness. Walnuts are little powerhouses of nutrition. They’re full of antioxidants, rich in omega 3 and contain a host of vitamins and minerals, particularly iron, selenium, calcium, zinc and vitamin E. Now I’m on a vegan diet and not eating or drinking dairy, I’m particularly concerned about calcium, as arthritis is rife in our family. Oh, I almost forgot, walnuts are also a good source of protein, something else I’m no longer getting from milk and cheese.

For this mushroom pâté recipe, I toasted the walnuts to intensify their flavour, but you don’t need to do this if you’re in a hurry or worried about taking your eye of the ball. They are very easy to burn. Do remember to stir them regularly whilst they’re toasting.

How to Make Mushroom Pâté

First you need to fry up some onion, garlic, thyme and mushrooms. Then it’s just a case of blitzing them in a food processor or blender along with the beans, walnuts and remaining ingredients until you get the consistency you want. Simple. I used my Vac2 Optimum air vacuum blender*, because it sits in my kitchen and is therefore convenient to use.

Once it’s made, you can eat it straight away. If there are a few of you to enjoy it, so much the better. Otherwise, pack it into glass jars and store it in the fridge. It should keep for up to a week. As this mushroom pâté is both vegan and gluten-free, it’s a dish most people can enjoy. Serve it as a dinner party starter with crackers or toast, or spread on crostini as canapés for a larger party. A slice of cucumber or pickle makes for a good topping.

Mushroom Pâté – The Recipe

Print Pin
4.84 from 12 votes

Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts & Butter Beans

A quick and easy spread that's full of umami flavours and packed with goodness. It's delicious on crackers or toast and it makes a great sandwich with cucumber or pickles and lettuce.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Course: Dips, Spreads & Sauces, Lunch, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: butter beans, mushrooms, pate, sandwich spread, spread, walnuts
Servings: 10 servings
Calories: 109kcal

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion - sliced
  • 175 g chestnut mushrooms - although most mushrooms would be good
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic - roughly chopped
  • leaves from a few sprigs of thyme
  • pinch of sea salt - I used smoked sea salt
  • 1 tbsp vegan white wine or 1 tsp white wine vinegar made up to 1 tbsp with water
  • 50 g shelled walnuts - the fresher the better
  • 1 400 g tin butter beans - drained and rinsed
  • 2 tsp tamari or your favourite soya sauce
  • lots of freshly ground black pepper

• Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and fry over a low heat for five minutes or until the onions are translucent.
  • Meanwhile, wipe and roughly chop the mushrooms, then turn up the heat to medium and add to the pan along with the cumin. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add the garlic, thyme and salt and cook until any water from the mushrooms has evaporated - about another couple of minutes.
  • Add the wine or vinegar & water mixture and cook for a further minute. Take off the heat and allow to cool a little.
  • Meanwhile toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan over a moderate heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning. When they have browned nicely, about ten minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  • Blitz everything in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. I like to have a bit of texture, but how smooth you blend it is entirely up to you. I used a my Optimum Vac2 power blender.
  • Spoon into appropriate containers and serve or store in the fridge for up to a week.

Notes

You can swap the butter beans for your preferred bean, but butter beans do have the creamiest texture.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.1g | Protein: 4.8g | Fat: 6.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 287mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 1.3g | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg

Other recipes for vegan spreads you might like

For even more spread recipe inspiration, head over to my Delicious Dips and Spreads board on Pinterest. There you’ll find plenty of both vegan and vegetarian dips and spreads.

Linkies

I’m sharing this mushroom pâté recipe with Everyday Healthy Recipes for #CookBlogShare and with Searching for Spice for #CookOnceEatTwice.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this mushroom pâté with walnuts and butter beans, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Vegan Mushroom Pâté – PIN IT.

Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts & Butter Beans - Vegan, Nutritious and Delicious. Perfect to spread on crackers, toast or in sandwiches. #TinandThyme #MushroomPate #VeganPate #VegetarianPate #VeganRecipe #walnuts #butterbeans #vegetarian #recipe #vegan #veganuary

This post contains affiliate links to Froothie Optimum products*. Links are marked with an *. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Swati

9th January 2019 at 1:04 pm

I love mushrooms, the recipe seems easy and I can use it as a spread on my toasts and Indian flatbreads like Parantha. Also, Thanks for sharing my recipe!!

9th January 2019 at 2:33 pm

Oh good idea, it would go beautifully with flatbreads.

2. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

9th January 2019 at 1:10 pm

I love mushrooms, mushroom pate, and butter beans. Therefore, this sounds like a winner to me!

9th January 2019 at 2:34 pm

Yay, all thumbs up for butter bean mushroom pâté.

3. Heidi Roberts

9th January 2019 at 5:34 pm

The word Umami makes my mouth water just reading it. I bet this pate is delicious!

9th January 2019 at 7:56 pm

It’s a fab word isn’t it Heidi and it somehow just conjures up deliciousness.

4. Ceri Jones

9th January 2019 at 7:21 pm

I often make a walnut and cannelini bean pate, I bet its quite similar to this (it is in colour anyway!). Very commendable veganuary efforts!

9th January 2019 at 7:57 pm

Haha, thanks Ceri. Walnuts are fantabulous in spreads and patés. I’ve made a fair few in my time.

5. angiesrecipes

9th January 2019 at 7:26 pm

A great idea! I adore mushrooms and this looks like a perfect way to prepare them.

9th January 2019 at 7:59 pm

Thank you Angie. I’m so glad I made a couple of jars of it, because I will not be getting bored of it anytime soon.

6. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

10th January 2019 at 10:43 am

I love the sound of homemade mushroom pate Choclette – and vegan too! I must confess that I’ve never made a homemade pate before, but I sure do fancy giving this a go – it’s so straigh forward and sounds gorgeous. xx

10th January 2019 at 7:21 pm

Oh do try Angela, it’s well worth it and as you say, there’s very little effort involved. And of course it tastes even better when served on a beautiful blue plate.

7. Corina Blum

10th January 2019 at 10:45 am

This looks absolutely delicious! I can imagine that butter beans are perfect for pate and it’s definitely something I’d love to try soon as well. I’m wondering if I could get my children to eat it too! Thanks for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice!

10th January 2019 at 7:17 pm

Definitely worth trying on the kids. Let me know the verdict if you do.

8. Cat | Curly's Cooking

10th January 2019 at 3:11 pm

What a great idea! This looks so smooth and creamy, a real lunch time treat!

10th January 2019 at 7:01 pm

I had it in my work sandwich today. Definitely the best sandwich I’ve had in a while.

9. Anna | Once Upon A Food Blog

10th January 2019 at 3:43 pm

My Mum used to buy something like this from the health food shop when I was a child – it takes me right back. There were a few different flavours and the mushroom one was my favourite. It looks delicious!

10th January 2019 at 6:59 pm

Oh I remember that mushroom pate or at least there were a couple we used to get – one in a tube and one in a pot. Have to say mine is much nicer 😀

10. Eb Gargano | Easy Peasy Foodie

10th January 2019 at 4:21 pm

This looks and sounds delicious. So much goodness in this and I love the tip about using butter beans to make a pate – must try that!! Eb x

11. Kat (The Baking Explorer)

11th January 2019 at 11:11 am

This pate sounds super moreish!

11th January 2019 at 7:44 pm

Thanks Kat, I’ve found it to be a bit too moreish 😀

12. Julia Frey

11th January 2019 at 4:52 pm

I love the addition of walnuts to this mushroom pate. It’s not the most common ingredient but I personally love the flavour and I am sure it added some cream texture to the dish.

11th January 2019 at 7:46 pm

I’m a big fan of walnuts. Not only do they taste good, but they are incredibly good for you too. They add a bit of texture and additional flavour. The creaminess comes from the butterbeans.

13. Swati

12th January 2019 at 5:21 am

Very simple and intersting recipe.. something different for me m, will surely try it. Thanks for including my recipe!!

12th January 2019 at 5:02 pm

Let me know what you think if you do try it. It’s my new favourite thing at the moment.

14. Monika Dabrowski

12th January 2019 at 5:24 pm

This looks lovely, and I like how uncomplicated this recipe is too. Thank you for bringing it to #CookBlogShare

12th January 2019 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Monika. It’s really nice and easy and so delicious. I will be making up another batch as soon as this one’s finished.

15. Midge @ Peachicks' Bakery

14th January 2019 at 5:57 pm

Our favourite sandwich at the moment stuffed with red cabbage, red onion & carrot coleslaw (made with hellmans vegan mayo) , black olives and I spread the bread with a vegan pesto. SO good toasted too! This pate looks amazing – def going to give it a go!

15th January 2019 at 8:48 am

That sounds delicious Midge. I really like olives, but I don’t use them nearly as much as I should.

16. Arnab Saha

31st January 2019 at 5:26 pm

It’s really nice and easy and so delicious. It is quite different type recipes. I love the addition of walnuts to mushroom pate.