Minted Broad Bean Spread – Making a Mint This Summer

As we move from late spring into early summer, broad beans start to make an appearance here in the UK. I’m very fond of broad beans, but I know not everyone’s a fan. I can almost guarantee, however, that this minted broad bean spread will appeal to anyone who tries it.

Crimson Flowered Broad Bean

We used to grow a wonderful heritage variety called Crimson Flowered Broad Bean. Broad beans are relatively easy to grow and they cope well with our erratic British climate. Sadly, last year our plot was invaded by marauding deer on top of all the other pests we’d barely been keeping under control. Our heart has gone out of trying to grow much in the way of veg and we have no crimson flowers this year.

Crimson Flowered Broad Bean

Minted Broad Bean Spread

Broad beans are hard to buy I find, so I was delighted to discover a load of broad beans in my veg box last week. I lost no time in using them along with some fresh mint from the garden.

Quantities for this minted broad bean spread will depend on how many broad beans you have, but as this recipe involves double podding, you will need more than you think to make a decent amount. Slipping off the outer cases of the beans is a bit of a faff, but well worth the effort. CT’s quip when he tried it, was “if you could sell this stuff, you’d make a mint”.

Minted Broad Bean Spread

Not many other ingredients are needed to make this super simple spread, some garlic, a squeeze of lime juice, a drizzle of oil and you’re done. Spread it on sourdough for a quick lunch – mmmmm! It’s suitable for all as it’s dairy free and vegan and is also good as a dip with crudités or crisps.

Optimum G2.3 Induction Blender

If there is one piece of kitchen equipment I wouldn’t be without, it’s a power blender. My Optimum G2.3 induction blender gets used nearly every day. It’s been fantastic in this hot weather for whizzing up fruity drinks with ice. It comes with a little 1 litre jug, as well as the large 2 litre one and this is ideal for whipping up sauces, hummus, pesto and as it turns out, minted broad bean spread.

Minted Broad Bean Spread

If you’d like to order any Froothie appliance including the G2.3 blender, I can offer Tin and Thyme readers free P&P. Just add 2483 free ambassador delivery to the comment box when ordering. Delivery will be credited back onto your card. As I go to press all orders over £200 come with a free nutriforce extractor.

Minted Broad Bean Spread – The Recipe

Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Minted Broad Bean Spread

A delicious early summer green spread or dip. Serve with crusty bread, toast or crudités.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time20 mins
Course: Appetizer, Dips, Spreads & Sauces
Cuisine: British
Keyword: broad beans, dip, mint, sandwich spread, spread, spring
Servings: 4 people

• broad beans - podded
  • 2-3 mint sprigs
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ lime - juiced
  • pinch of sea salt
  • grind of pepper

• Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the broad beans for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
  • Slip the outer pods off and discard (preferably into the compost bin).
  • Throw everything into a blender or food processor and process until you get the consistency you like. I went for a super smooth spread and used the little jug of my Optimum G2.3 induction blender, but it would be nice chunky too.
  • Spoon into a bowl and serve.

Other recipes using broad beans you might like

Sharing

I’m sharing my minted broad bean spread with Shaheen at A2K – A Seasonal Veg Table for Eat Your Greens. It also goes to #CookBlogShare which is with Everyday Healthy Recipes this week.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this minted broad bean spread, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Minted Broad Bean Spread. PIN IT

Minted Broad Bean Spread or Dip. Simple ingredients - dairy free, gluten free and vegan.

This post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Corina

20th June 2017 at 10:40 am

I love houmous and cannellini bean dips but I have never tried a broad bean dip. I think all the faff of taking the skins off that puts me off but I’m sure it’s worth it in the end. I just need more patience as it sounds lovely!

20th June 2017 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Corina. Taking the skins off isn’t actually as bad as it seems, as they slip off quite easily once cooked. Give it a go 🙂

2. Chris

20th June 2017 at 10:48 am

I’m so sorry your allotment got raided, how demoralising 🙁 I grew broad beans in the garden for many years but last year the black fly were awful and it put me off a bit. I love the taste of them so much, they are fab in salads and I do a mean pilaf but, you’re right, double podding is definitely the way to go! I have a big batch of them in the fridge and mint in the garden and this dip looks perfect for this hot weather – I bet new potatoes dipped in are just perfect!

20th June 2017 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Chris. It’s all a bit sad, but we’re moving to a house with a proper garden (all being well), so that should make a big difference. Black fly are a pain, but if you get them early with some good old soapy water or just plain squishing, it usually does the trick. Your mean pilaf sounds good and you’re right, new potatoes would go beautifully.

3. Galina V

20th June 2017 at 11:33 am

What a lovely dip! So fresh and summery. I’m not the biggest fan of broad beans, as I find it tedious to remove the skins, but I love the sound of your dip and would love to try it

20th June 2017 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Galina. Double podding the beans are a bit of a pain, but it’s so worth doing.

4. Angie@Angie's Recipes

20th June 2017 at 4:35 pm

I adore creamy and healthy dips or spreads like this…gorgeous green colour.

20th June 2017 at 5:27 pm

Thank you Angie. It’s beautifully simple, but very tasty.

5. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

20th June 2017 at 5:31 pm

I LOVE broad beans too! But my local supermarket never has them. We have to go to a pick your own up the road if we want them. We always buy tonnes and then wonder what to do with them! This recipe looks fab. Will pin it for later 😀

21st June 2017 at 9:23 am

This is a the perfect recipe for a ton of broad beans as the spread will keep in the fridge for a few days and I expect would freeze well too. You could even thin it down a little to make a pasta sauce.

6. Kate | The Veg Space

20th June 2017 at 5:37 pm

Oh this looks luscious Choclette – I do love broad beans but only when someone else has cooked them for me – not patient enough for the podding hence they haven’t been given a patch in my garden for a while, but oh so worthwhile when I do get around to it!! Love how velvety smooth you can get dips with an Optimum blender, wouldn’t be without mine.

21st June 2017 at 9:26 am

Podding and double podding broad beans is probably best done en masse with friends and family and a nice glass of something delicious to help things along. It’s hard to imagine life pre Optimum blender now 🙂

7. Rhian @ Rhian's Recipes

21st June 2017 at 1:37 am

What a lovely idea – you’ve definitely got me in the mood for broad beans now!

21st June 2017 at 9:27 am

Thanks Rhian. I just wish we had more broad beans as the spread disappeared far too quickly.

8. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

21st June 2017 at 11:07 am

The mint sounds perfect there! Nice, bright and fresh!

21st June 2017 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Rebecca. It’s hard to beat a good beany dip 🙂

9. Monika Dabrowski

21st June 2017 at 12:44 pm

It’s true broad beans are hard to buy, I wonder why that is given that they are relatively easy to grow. I adore them and like to eat them cooked with a bit of salt simply on their own, as a snack. Your recipe looks delicious! Must try to make it next time I get hold of some broad beans. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare:)

21st June 2017 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Monika. I don’t know, but maybe they’re one of those veg people don’t quite know what to do with?

10. Sharon

21st June 2017 at 1:23 pm

So sorry to hear your plot got raided. It is pretty demoralising when you put all the hardwork into growing crops from seed, only for them to be demolished by the critters (or deer in this case). I’ve always dreamed of growing my own veggies but haven’t had any success yet, but we do have a lovely crop of raspberries, and the blackberry bushes are covered in flowers (and bees!)
    Your broad bean spread looks absolutely delicious! I can just imagine how fresh and summery it tastes (with the addition of the mint!) Wish I had some for my lunch right now 😉 xx

21st June 2017 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Sharon. I’m really missing not having our own veg this year, although we do have garlic. Nothing much seems to want to eat that (crosses fingers). I don’t think anything beats fresh raspberries, I bet you’re enjoying those.

11. jenny walters

21st June 2017 at 8:46 pm

What a wonderful recipe. My husband is obsessed with broad beans so this is perfect for me to win some brownie points! Will pin it for later xx

23rd June 2017 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Jenny. Brownie point always useful I find 😉

12. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

23rd June 2017 at 10:16 am

Oh wow this spread sounds so good! We have got some broad beans and I have a healthy mint too. Must try this recipe! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

23rd June 2017 at 6:16 pm

Ooh lucky you Kirsty. I’m really missing my broad beans. Hope you like it 🙂

13. Kate - gluten free alchemist

24th June 2017 at 10:39 am

That looks Sooooo good! Love the colour, the flavours and it looks amazingly smooth. You definitely need a really good blender to make dips this smooth.
    I have never grown broad beans. Not sure why, but with recipes this good, maybe next year I will have to give them a go! xx

24th June 2017 at 3:33 pm

Thanks Kate. I wouldn’t be without my Froothie blender. As with most things, homegrown broad beans are the best. They are also incredibly easy to grow, so well worth the effort.

14. Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet

24th June 2017 at 5:07 pm

What a beautiful way to make use of broad beans. I also get giddy with excitement when I see fresh broad beans at the shops. It’s a good idea to buy loads because after podding and removing the skins there is sadly not much left!

25th June 2017 at 10:55 am

This is very true Michelle. I grew up in a waste not want not household and we’d never dream of double podding. It’s only very recently I’ve dared myself to do it!

15. Shaheen

1st July 2017 at 10:43 am

Ah I find broad beans quite precious when I grow them and enjoy them. I’d love to try this dip if I found myself with way too many, but then I guess I could always pick some up at the supermarket when in season. Thank you for sharing with EatYourGreens, the round up will be up today later.

3rd July 2017 at 7:28 pm

Gone are the days when I used to grow masses of broad beans. I do miss them.

16. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

31st August 2017 at 3:20 pm

Great idea. I love broad beans and making different types of dips/spreads.

31st August 2017 at 8:53 pm

The broad bean season already feels like a very long time ago.