31 Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes – One For Each Day Of Veganuary

31 Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes

Every year I tell myself I’m going to go vegan for the month of January. But this year I’m really going to do it. Yes I am. So I’m starting the new year off with these 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes which I’m hoping will keep me on track for Veganuary. Happy New Year everyone. I do hope 2019 is a good one for you all.

Veganuary

Well I’ve done it. Yesterday I signed the Veganuary pledge and I’m starting my year in what feels like a bold attempt to only eat vegan food for the month of January. The charity Veganuary was set up in 2014 to encourage and support people who are trying to go vegan. There are lots of reasons why people want to do this. For some the catalyst is animal welfare, for others it’s a matter of health or it could be because of the environmental impact of consuming animal products. Undoubtedly, all three will come into play for most.

My No-Dairy Diary

I love dairy and probably eat too much of it, so I’m going to find this Veganuary a bit of a challenge. I have no problem with the main meal of the day, I often cook vegan anyway. It’s breakfast and lunch that I’m worried about. I generally have a kefir smoothie to start the day and a cheese sandwich or an omelette for lunch. I need something I can grab or prepare that is fast for these two meals as I’m either in a rush or away from home and in need of a packed lunch.

I’m going to have to put my kefir grains away for the month or get CT to look after them, so there won’t be any nutritious and easy kefir smoothies for me. I do love porridge, but this is no good for  days when I’m dashing off to work and whilst I’m very fond of granola, I’m not sure what I can eat it with instead of my usual yoghurt or kefir. Breakfast in particular is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me. I haven’t yet found a commercial plant-based milk that’s additive free and whilst some of the yoghurts are really nice, they are also really expensive. I can, of course, make my own hemp milk, but it’s never quite as quick as just taking a bottle out of the fridge.

31 Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes

In this post, I’ve gathered together these 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes so you can start your day virtuously and with a different meal throughout Veganuary, if you so choose. I’m not sure I could get my head around a different breakfast every day, but I like the idea. Some of the recipes come from me and others from fellow food bloggers. You’ll find most of them are easy to prepare, nutritious and most importantly, good to eat.

Vegan Porridge & More

Porridge (or oatmeal if you’re on the other side of the pond) is one of my favourite winter breakfasts. It’s easy to make, fills you up and it can be really tasty. I’ve never been able to beat my mother’s slow cooked traditional oatmeal made with just water and salt, but I’m pretty happy with how I make mine. I normally prepare it with ⅔ water and ⅓ dairy milk. It’s very easy to swap the milk for a plant based one though or even leave it out altogether. So I’m kicking these 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes off with some delicious porridgey goodness and a non-porridge surprise.

Vanilla Bean Porridge with Turmeric Figs

vanilla bean porridge with turmeric chai tea figs from Kellie at Food to Glow

prune porridge topped with toasted walnuts and cinnamon from me at Tin and Thyme

creamy spinach savoury breakfast oatmeal from Sophia at Veggies Don’t Bite

chunky monkey breakfast quinoa bowl from Melissa at Vegan Huggs

sweet potato breakfast bowl from Lexi at Veggie Lexi

Vegan Granola, Muesli & Overnight Oats

I’ve been making my own granola and muesli for years now. It’s more nutritious than most commercial varieties I’ve seen for sale and it’s a lot cheaper. You can add whatever grains, fruit, nuts, seeds and superfoods that suit you and they’re both really simple to prepare. Once you’ve made up a batch, it will last you a while.

Easy Vegan Honey Almond Granola

easy vegan ‘honey’ almond granola from me at Tin and Thyme

banana overnight oats from Rhian of Rhian’s Recipes

superfood stone fruit rawnola bowls from Stacey at Stacey Homemaker

sugar-free muesli from Jasmin at VeeatCookBake

Vegan Smoothies

I start many of my days with a smoothie. They are fantastic for cramming in all sorts of nutritious ingredients. I’m particularly keen on green smoothies as I find getting my 5-a-day can be a bit of a challenge, never mind 10-a-day. Some kale, spinach or broccoli with maybe an apple, orange or a banana to offset any bitterness adds an extra spring in my step. A good blender helps. I use a Froothie Optimum power blender*.

Paleo Green Smoothie

paleo green smoothie from Chih-Yu at I Heart Umami

banana, matcha & prune from Kavey at Kavey Eats

carrot, apple & Swiss chard smoothie from Cathy at Planet Veggie

chocolate avocado smoothie from Sus at Rough Measures

ginger green goddess smoothie from me at Tin and Thyme

matcha and banana superfood breakfast smoothie from me at Tin and Thyme

Bakes

You’ve got to be a bit of a planner to make bakes for breakfast. Either that or get up early. Once made though, they’re great for get-up-and-go breakfasts. They’re also rather good for packing into lunch boxes. Here you’ll find American type muffins as well as a brilliant stand-in for egg muffins.

Vegan Full English Breakfast Muffins

full English breakfast muffins from Chris at Thinly Spread

healthy banana oat protein muffins (gluten-free) from Gabriel at One Clever Chef

spiced sweet potato muffins from Helen at Fuss Free Flavours

Vegan Cooked Breakfast

At the weekend or on days off, it’s lovely to take a bit more time over breakfast. I don’t manage it very often, but I really enjoy it when I do. This post of 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes would not be complete without some ideas for a good cooked breakfast. I’ve noticed there are more and more eateries providing interesting cooked vegan breakfasts these days. Going out for breakfast is one of my favourite treats.

vegan breakfast burrito

avocado kale florentine with smoked paprika hollandaise from Kristina at spabettie

breakfast burrito with tofu scramble, avocado, potato and rocket from Marina at Yummy Mummy Kitchen

breakfast tacos with tofu & black beans from Kadri at Cadry’s Kitchen

savoury eggless French toast bruschetta from Emise and Nandi at My Pure Plants

smashed avocado on toast with chickpeas from Sara at Gathering Dreams

tofu scramble from me at Tin and Thyme

Pancakes & Waffles

Pancakes or waffles will always endear you to family or friends. They’re also a much loved indulgence for a weekend breakfast or brunch. They don’t have to be unhealthy though and recipes are easy to veganise. I make both my pancakes and waffles with wholegrain flours, such as spelt or buckwheat, as I’m always keen to at least start my day on a healthy note.

Vegan Waffles

best ever vegan waffles from Nora at Nora Cooks

beghrir – Moroccan semolina pancakes with maple nutmeg roasted plantains from Bintu at Recipes From a Pantry

banana yoghurt pancakes from Amy at Veggies Save the Day

fluffy pancakes from Johanna at Green Gourmet Giraffe

Drinks

Whether you want to start your day with a pro-biotic boost from beet kvass or with a silky indulgent hot chocolate, I’ve got you covered. You can also find out how to make your own plant milk if you so desire. I have a recipe for hemp milk, but you can use the same method for any nut or seed milk you’re keen to try. All you need is a good power blender. I use a Froothie Optimum power blender*.

Beet Kvass

beet kvass from me at Tin and Thyme

gingerbread hot chocolate from me at Tin and Thyme

golden turmeric latté from me at Tin and Thyme

Your Favourite Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes

I hope you found something to inspire you with these 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes. But what I’m keen to know is, what are your favourites? Do you have any tips to share? Do tell by commenting below. As you know, I could do with a few new ideas.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

31 Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes. PIN IT.

31 Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes. If you're just dipping into the world of vegan food, breakfast can be a bit of a challenge. Here you'll find lots of easy, healthy and delicious vegan breakfasts to help you on your way. Many of them are gluten-free too. #TinandThyme #VeganRecipes #Veganuary #VeganBreakfast #recipes #breakfast #vegan #dairyfree #glutenfree

I use a Froothie Optimum power blender* for smoothies, spreads, sauces and even chocolate making. The 31 healthy vegan breakfast recipes post contains affiliate links marked with an *. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging. Opinions are, as always, my own.

Tags:

1. Clare

1st January 2019 at 12:07 pm

Thank you for giving veganuary a go. Like you I was a diary lover but once I looked in to the industry and how unhealthy it is for us and the environment I didn’t look back. Have you tried oat milk? Oatly organic is additive free with only water, oats and sea salt in it.

There are a lot of vegan cheeses on the market now which have improved in range even in the last couple of years. Although I’d wait until towards the end of the month to try them as they are quite different and taking a break between trying them and dairy really helps. You can also make your own using cashews, which may be something you’ve already tried. I recommend checking out Lettices YouTube channel for ideas.

1st January 2019 at 3:35 pm

Thanks ever so much Clare. And it’s good to be reminded of oatly. I used to drink that years ago – can no longer remember why. And I always thought it was the best available then. I have just found an additive free brand that does coconut, cashew and almond milks. I tried the coconut in my tea today, but it split, so I may have to go on the hunt for some oatly.

I’ve made cashew soft cheese and it’s nice and quite easy to do if you remember to soak the cashews in advance. The commercial cheeses I’ve looked at all seem to have a 101 additives, so I’m not really interested in trying those. I’ll take a look at the YouTube channel you recommended. Thanks again.

• melanie

7th January 2019 at 9:47 pm

hello, i would be interested to know which brand of non dairy milk you found that is additive free? i haven’t really checked for additives….eeek!
        thanks for the 31 recipes, i will be trying some. I have one for you too, slice a peeled sweet potato and either grill each side or use a grill pan until soften, then spread with almond butter and top with banana…..lovely.

8th January 2019 at 8:49 am

Ooh yes, those sweet potato slices do sound good. Thank you. I’ve got hooked on a pear and almond smoothie at the moment with almond milk and almond nut butter. I’ve tried a few nut milks now which have the bare minimum of ingredients. I like Plenish oat milk for it’s creaminess – only oats, salt & water. Plenish almond milk for smoothies – almonds, salt & water. Both are organic. Innocence also do good ones with the same minimum ingredients, but they’re not organic. Their hazelnut one is amazing though, especially in coffee.

2. angiesrecipes

1st January 2019 at 2:16 pm

Good for you! That porridge looks really tasty. Happy New Year, Choclette!

1st January 2019 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Angie. That porridge looks absolutely scrumptious.

3. Kavita Favelle

1st January 2019 at 5:40 pm

I’ve not signed up to do Veganuary but I do want to increase our plant based eating and decrease our meat consumption further. Great selection of recipes to inspire!

1st January 2019 at 6:46 pm

Thanks Kavey. If everyone can reduce their meat & fish consumption a bit, it would make a massive difference.

4. Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry

1st January 2019 at 10:54 pm

Thanks ever so much for including my pancakes in this fantastic selection of delicious recipes! So many that I want to try.

2nd January 2019 at 11:53 am

Your pancakes look amazing Bintu. I could do with a nice pile of the to tuck into right now.

5. johanna @ green gourmet giraffe

2nd January 2019 at 2:35 am

What a great round up – thanks for including my pancakes. I love all these recipes but realistically I often grab a quick breakfast – peanut butter on toast with a piece of fruit would be an ideal quick breakfast for me. I love leftover omelette on bread too. In fact leftovers are often so good for breakfast – dahl and vegemite on toast is another. My problem is that I really love savoury breakfasts and sweet often seems simpler. I love the sound of the full english breakfast muffins and am intrigued by the savoury oatmeal. And I would love to find a vegan yoghurt I like – the coconut ones are too rich for me – I would love to try making my own but haven’t yet.

2nd January 2019 at 11:52 am

I’m with you on the savoury breakfast thing. Toast is just brilliant for grab and go breakfasts. I often have marmite on toast, but I haven’t found anything to replace the butter yet. I don’t really want to start using margarine and coconut oil doesn’t quite do it. Leftover dhal on toast is one of my favourites too.

6. Lexi

5th January 2019 at 4:19 pm

Such a beautiful selection of delicious sounding breakfast recipes for Veganuary! Thank you so much for sharing. I could absolutely go for one of the breakfast burritos or some avocado kale florentine right now (the avocado kale florentine sounds so innovative, I never would’ve thought of it – very grateful you shared it with us). Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

5th January 2019 at 6:33 pm

Thanks Lexi. I’m with you on the avocado kale florentine. It sounds so good. But so does your sweet potato bowl – yum.

7. Mandy

8th January 2019 at 2:31 pm

Some great breakfast ideas here Choclette. I was vegetarian for over 25 years before becoming vegan – I found that once I really understood the dairy industry I no longer missed it! And I agree with Clare above who said that Oatly is the best. They’ve just released a new range of whole, semi and skimmed milk alternatives which cost a bit more but are excellent.

8th January 2019 at 8:18 pm

I’ve been vegetarian for about 25 years too, although I’ve never cooked meat or fish for myself. The dairy industry can be pretty bad. I grew up in a village where we got our milk straight from a very small herd of hand milked cows who were also allowed to feed their calves. So, I have a somewhat romantic idea of it all. But I do only buy organic milk, that way I know the cows are at least free ranging and eating decent stuff. My best milk find has been Plenish oat milk. It has fewer additives than oatly and is also organic.

8. Sophie

8th January 2019 at 4:26 pm

Wow this is an amazing collection of recipes, thank you! Breakfast is a meal that sometimes gets ignored but it’s definitely one of the easiest to make vegan. Granola is always my go-to for a healthy, exciting and filling breakfast but I love seeing how people experiment with their breakfast choices. Pancakes are definitely going to be a weekend treat for me this month…

8th January 2019 at 8:49 pm

Ooh yes pancakes. We had those at the weekend. I’ve made vegan pancakes several times before. As you say, they’re really easy to veganise. Granola, porridge and pancakes are all pretty easy, but a cooked breakfast is slightly more tricky. Not that I have those very often 😀

9. melanie

9th January 2019 at 9:11 pm

thank you, i haven’t see Planish before, i will look for it in waitress, i should be more choosey on my non dairy milks and will definitely check the ingredients more…….i wonder if anyone makes their own? its quite expensive to buy…

10. melanie

10th January 2019 at 7:48 pm

not sure my blender is powerful, but thank you for the recipe……