Blackcurrant Brownies & a Bumper Crop of Blackcurrants

Plate full of blackcurrant brownies.

I know it’s summer, but sometimes nothing will do but brownies. These blackcurrant brownies fit right in as blackcurrants are at their best in July. They’re sweet, rich and fudgy and permeated most delightfully by tart flavoursome blackcurrants. They’re also super easy to make.

Blackcurrants

On Saturday, a friend kindly let me loose in her overflowing fruit cage and I picked four pounds of blackcurrants. I wasn’t entirely sure what I was going to do with them, but yesterday I used two pounds to make eight pots of glorious blackcurrant and chilli jam. That left two pounds, most of which has gone into making cassis, but I felt a bit of baking was called for too.

4lb of newly picked blackcurrants - enough for a batch of blackcurrant brownies and so much more.

Hunting around on Eat Your Books delivered blackcurrant beach brownies from Dom over at Belleau Kitchen. I was no stranger to these brownies as they had featured in the blackcurrant round-up of We Should Cocoa a couple of years ago. The concept was appealing and I’d always meant to make some, but they had somehow slipped my mind. Yesterday seemed like a good time to try them out, especially as they will fit in very nicely with a future project I’m planning. Some blackcurrant sauce was called for too – for said future project.

Blackcurrant Brownies

If I need to make brownies in a hurry, my go to recipe these days is for chocolate fudge brownies from Charlotte Pike’s wonderful book Easy Baking in The Hungry Student series. I first made these for an event last summer where they proved to be extremely popular. Then, last week, I made some for my birthday party. This week, I’ve omitted the coffee, used some different sugars and added blackcurrants. I also always use wholemeal flour or wholemeal spelt which I feel gives me a few brownie points (haha). The method I use is my favourite one pot wonder.

Blackcurrant Brownies

The brownies are a little more delicate than the normal ones, with a finer texture. They are utterly delicious, with the tart berries giving bursts of flavour and somewhat offsetting the sugar high. They will do very nicely for what I am planning.

Blackcurrant and Chilli Jam

The jam recipe came from the queen of preserves Vivien Lloyd via Katie over at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter. It was Sue at A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate that suggested it and what a brilliant suggestion it was. Rather than add the chilli to a muslin bag and pull it out at a later date, I decided to add the chillies directly.

Blackcurrant & Chilli Jam

We grow rocotos which are fleshy and quite hot; they work well in this sort of concoction. We keep a load of them in the freezer, halved and already deseeded. I chopped four halves finely and added them in at the simmering stage. The heat is just right for us. There is a definite kick, but steam doesn’t come screaming out of your ears.

More Blackcurrant Recipes

If you’re looking for other blackcurrant recipe ideas, you will find plenty here on Tin and Thyme. You will find even more if you head to my Blackcurrant Pinterest board.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these blackcurrant brownies or indeed my blackcurrant chilli jam, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Blackcurrant Chocolate Brownies. PIN IT.

Blackcurrant Chocolate Brownies.

Blackcurrant Brownies – The Recipe

5 from 2 votes
Plate full of blackcurrant brownies.
Blackcurrant Brownies
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
40 mins

Sweet, rich and fudgy brownies permeated most delightfully by tart flavoursome blackcurrants. Simple to make and easy to eat.

Course: Afternoon Tea, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keywords: blackcurrant jam, blackcurrants, brownies, summer
Servings: 16 brownies
Author: Choclette
  • 125 g Unsalted butter
  • 190 g 72% dark chocolate
  • 100 g molasses sugar
  • 150 g golden caster sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
  • 3 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
  • 70 g wholemeal flour (I used spelt)
  • 1 heaped tsp cocoa powder (Food Thoughts)
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • 150 g blackcurrants
  1. Melt butter and chocolate in a large pan over a gentle heat.
  2. Take off the heat and stir in the sugar until well mixed.
  3. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
  4. Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder and stir until just combined.
  5. Gently stir in the blackcurrants.
  6. Pour into a 9″ sq. silicone mould or lined cake tin and bake at 180℃ for 20 minutes when there should no longer be a wobble, but the batter is still fudgy.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. Cut into 16 squares.

1. Jane Sarchet

14th July 2014 at 2:09 pm

Oh Choclette, these look and sound divine! My currant bushes are also overflowing, I’m pinning this to remind me to make 🙂
    Janie x

15th July 2014 at 9:24 am

Look forward to finding out what you do with your blackcurrants Jane – they are a rather wonderful fruit.

2. Kiarna Lewis

14th July 2014 at 2:42 pm

I’ve always wanted to make my own jam. Love the look of those brownies ! x

15th July 2014 at 9:23 am

Thanks Kiarna. Blackcurrant jam is a good one to start with as it’s one of the easiest.

3. Rachel Double

14th July 2014 at 2:48 pm

Omg those brownies look amazing! I will definitely give them a try with brownies being my favourite!

15th July 2014 at 9:23 am

Yes indeed Rachel, it’s hard not to be addicted to brownies 🙂

4. belleau kitchen

14th July 2014 at 4:42 pm

nice to know I popped up for you there!… I remember these brownies being exceptionally good and very dangerously darkly sweet and heavenly!… yours look so amazing. Thanks so much for the mention and thanks for the slice that i assume is winging its way over to me?

15th July 2014 at 9:22 am

Haha, but of course Dom 🙂

5. Heather Haigh

14th July 2014 at 5:20 pm

Ooh, blackcurrant browniies sounds like and excellent idea. Sadly I somehow managed to loose my blackcurrant bush a few years back – I must get a new one!

Heather x

15th July 2014 at 9:21 am

Thanks Heather. Blackcurrants are the sort of fruit well worth growing oneself as they are so hard to find otherwise.

6. Rachel Lucas

14th July 2014 at 5:25 pm

Great idea to use the black currants…I love them, that earthy undertone to the tartness. Yummy! Hope you’re having a good summer x

15th July 2014 at 8:06 am

Oh how lovely to hear from you Rachel. I’ve been really bad at visiting my favourite blogs in the last few months but do miss you all. I need to find time to do it. Having a lovely summer thank you – busy but productive. Hope you are too.

15th July 2014 at 8:10 am

Oh, just seen your new website Rachel – wow. Now there’s a development. It looks fabulous as do your brownies. Hope it all works out well for you.

7. Janice Pattie

14th July 2014 at 6:12 pm

Fantastic, I could make these with the blackcurrants I picked on Saturday, not enough to make jam but certainly enough for brownies.

15th July 2014 at 8:04 am

Oh yes, good idea Janice, they are rather good. For a slightly less sugary treat, you could always try Blackcurrant Buckle.

8. Laura Bovington

14th July 2014 at 6:23 pm

These look delicious. There is always time for chocolate brownies and they look extra scrummy with the black currants added.

15th July 2014 at 8:01 am

Thank you Laura. I’m a bit of a brownie fan and always think the latest batch I’ve made is the best ever – well nearly always!

9. Kellie Anderson

14th July 2014 at 6:30 pm

Gorgeous! I have never heard of blackcurrant brownies but they sound a-ma-zing! Lovely 🙂 I just used up the last of my frozen blackcurrants from last year (they are literally still on the hob bubbling away with some freshly scavenged wild raspberries on their way to being jam!) but when I pick this years I know just what to bake first.

15th July 2014 at 7:59 am

Oh well Scottish blackcurrants are meant to be the best Kellie, so I’m sure your jam and brownies will be super fabulous. Blackcurrant and raspberry jam sounds rather delicious too.

10. Kimberly

14th July 2014 at 8:33 pm

Blackcurrant brownies – sounds delicious. Cornwall, what a place to live!

15th July 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks Kimberly, I am indeed very lucky to live in Cornwall – it’s my home and I love it.

11. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

14th July 2014 at 8:52 pm

Blackcurrant and chocolate is a wonderful combination and these brownies sounds wonderful. Blackcurrant and chilli jam sounds amazing too……… I must consider getting a blackcurrant bush!

15th July 2014 at 7:53 am

Oh do, if you have room, they are so worth it – try for 2 or 3 if you can Kate.

12. Fiona @ London-Unattached

14th July 2014 at 9:12 pm

sounds good to me! I make brownies with cherries and brownies with raspberries so I suspect brownies with blackcurrents would be excellent

15th July 2014 at 7:52 am

I’ve not tried fresh cherries in brownies before Fiona and am now raring to try them.

13. Holly Nelson @ English Girl Canadian Man

15th July 2014 at 4:35 am

How difficult is into make jam? I have always wanted to try it!

15th July 2014 at 7:49 am

Hi Holly – jam making can be very easy and also quite tricky. It all depends what sort of jam you want to make. Blackcurrant jam has a high pectin content and is thus a very easy jam to make and set. Strawberries have little pectin so the jam is more difficult.

14. Katie

15th July 2014 at 5:29 am

I’m so jealous of your fruit haul! What a brilliant idea to use them in brownies, a great twist on the classic cherry choc combo. I bet they tastes divine. Love the little streaks of purple I can see. That jam looks amazing too. So so jealous!

15th July 2014 at 7:51 am

Yes, I felt very luck to have this opportunity Katie. I usually manage a small punnet from my mother’s blackcurrants, but the birds got them all this year. But I’ve not had a big haul like this ever.

15. Deena Kakaya

15th July 2014 at 11:46 am

Oh, I have never done blackcurrant brownies before and I’m not sure why not! These look ticklishly fab. X

15th July 2014 at 6:20 pm

Thank you Deena, this was a first for me too and I don’t know why either. But, it won’t be the last 🙂

16. Jacqueline Meldrum

15th July 2014 at 3:43 pm

Oh yes, these hit the spot Choclette and look at that glorious colour!

15th July 2014 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Jac. Blackcurrants throw a double whammy – great taste and colour 🙂

17. Vohn's Vittles

16th July 2014 at 4:55 pm

Brilliant idea to put blackcurrants in brownies Choclette. I love the idea of their tartness cutting through the sweet chocolate! 🙂

17th July 2014 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Vohn. Blackcurrants do work well for this very reason.

18. Judith

17th July 2014 at 2:34 pm

The ones I tried went a bit… I dunno… mushy? I found the berries kind of went a bit weird but maybe I baked them too high as I note you have them at a lower temp. How did you find the molasses sugar for taste? I have some from an old goodie bag just sitting in the cupboard but if it worked for you… 🙂

19. Alison

19th July 2014 at 6:11 am

oooh now you have given me an idea for using my raspberries! These look gorgeous

20. Katie @ The Perfect Brownie

15th August 2014 at 5:09 pm

Wow! Blackcurrants and duck eggs! Tell me, do duck eggs have a different flavor from chicken eggs? Is it noticeable in the brownies? Duck eggs are not available around here, so I’m very curious.