Fig, White Chocolate and Mascarpone Tarts

Tarts, Pies & Pastries | 11th September 2013 | By

September is a month of abundance, or at least it is in my mother’s garden this year. We went foraging there a few days ago to see what we could find. As well as gathering lots of windfall apples, a big bowl of blackberries, some plums and a few blueberries, we came home with four ripe figs.

I’ve already made a few jars of bramble and apple jelly and these blackberry and apple cupcakes. I have plans for the plums and blueberries and after a quick consultation with Love Bake Nourish by Amber Rose, I decided to make an adapted version of her fig and mascarpone tarts. I altered quantities a bit and apart from the mascarpone, the filling I came up with is quite different.

This is how I made:

Fig, Mascarpone and White Chocolate Tarts

• Whizzed 250g spelt flour (half wholemeal, half white), a pinch of salt, 90g of cubed unsalted butter, grated zest of an organic lemon and 25g cardamom (caster) sugar in a food processor until mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
  • Added an egg and a couple of tbsp cold water & whizzed again.
  • Gathered mixture together with my hands and formed a ball. Placed it in a plastic bag and popped into the fridge for half an hour.
  • Rolled the pastry to the thickness of a pound coin and cut out circles to fill ten 10cm tart tins.
  • Baked at 180C for about 15 minutes until just golden. Set aside to cool.
  • Quartered 4 figs and placed into a greased ovenproof dish.
  • Dotted a little knob of butter over each quarter, then drizzled with a little thyme honey.
  • Roasted in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes.
  • Melted 100g of chopped vanillary white chocolate (G&B) in a pan over hot water. Set aside to cool a little.
  • Stirred 250g mascarpone in a bowl, then added the chocolate and stirred until smooth.
  • Divided the chocolate mixture between 6 of the tart cases (leaving 4 to do something else with).
  • Topped with 2 or 3 fig quarters and some of the syrupy juice.

The figs were perfectly ripe (at last!) and they lent themselves well to these tarts, being fragrant and juicy. The drizzle of thyme honey gave an intriguing Mediterranean top note and was the first taste encountered before biting into the cream tarts. The pastry was enhanced by the lemony zing which combined well with the sweet cream filling. All of the flavours married together extremely well and it was very hard to resist polishing them off at one sitting.

1. manu

11th September 2013 at 6:55 am

I love figs and this recipe seems to be so easy!

11th September 2013 at 7:34 pm

I never find making pastry easy Manu, but the rest is simple and the figs really make it.

• manu

12th September 2013 at 2:44 pm

Oh I love making pastry…if you use margarine instead of butter (or half and half) the dough turns out more elastic and easier to use

2. The KitchenMaid

11th September 2013 at 8:35 am

Oooooh! We don’t have any figs but I’m sure I could think of something else to put on the top. I am just working on my showstopper (that is, eating the remains). I think you’re going to like it!

11th September 2013 at 7:36 pm

Oh lots of fruit would work well with these. I ALWAYS like your entries Lucy and look forward to seeing what you came up with.

3. Foodycat

11th September 2013 at 9:38 am

Oh wow! This sounds absolutely divine! I bet a roasted peach slice or some cherries would be lovely if figs weren’t available.

11th September 2013 at 7:37 pm

Yes, roasted plums would be good too I think.

4. Susan Lindquist

11th September 2013 at 1:17 pm

Mmm! How I wish I could go to a nearby field and pick figs … alas! I can, however, re-create your crust! I have no experience working with spelt flour, but have just purchased a bag and think this crust is the start of a wonderful relationship. I do love making pies and tarts and am always looking for a new angle!

11th September 2013 at 7:39 pm

Well picking these figs was a first for me here in Cornwall and very exciting it was too. Hope you get on well with your spelt crust Susan.

5. belleau kitchen

11th September 2013 at 4:21 pm

oh I love that you roasted the figs first… and with honey too, how gorgeous do these tarts look, so divine… I need them, I want them, I WILL have them!! (not by making them myself but by persuading you to bring them to me with the power of hypnosis…)

11th September 2013 at 7:41 pm

Yes roasting them worked brilliantly well and would make a fab dish all on their own warm from the oven. If you could teleport me up there with your power I would gladly bring you one to try!

6. belleau kitchen

11th September 2013 at 4:21 pm

is it working yet?

7. belleau kitchen

11th September 2013 at 4:21 pm

now?

11th September 2013 at 7:40 pm

Sorry Dom, you’re just not trying hard enough 😉

8. Javelin Warrior

11th September 2013 at 6:27 pm

Mascarpone and figs – now that sounds so good! And the white chocolate – another layer of decadence… I’m Susan – I wish I had a field near me where I could go pick fresh figs!

11th September 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks JW, these are indeed decedent tarts, but oh so delicious. Picking the figs was a real pleasure.

9. Miss C Flash

11th September 2013 at 7:09 pm

Wow, another delicious recipe from you. The figs look so pretty and they look like the perfect little tarts x

11th September 2013 at 7:43 pm

Ahh, thank you, that’s very kind and a much appreciated comment 🙂

10. Shaheen

11th September 2013 at 8:10 pm

Oh they are stunning Choclette. I haven’t baked much with mascarpone, its a bit of a luxury for me.

I’ve been foraging a little too, but namely blackberries, have spotted some apples and plums but not got my mitts on them. I am envious of your figs though – wow! I’ve made a cake recently with fresh figs too, but I won’t be sharing that until next month.

12th September 2013 at 8:07 am

Mascarpone is a luxury Shaheen and full of fat too, but it is delicious. Haven’t the blackberries been magnificent this year? I’m hoping I’ll be able to gather some more before the season is over as having read so many crumble posts recently, I’m now desperate to make bramble and apple crumble.

11. Rebecca Subbiah

11th September 2013 at 9:45 pm

wow these look divine

12. Gloria Baker

12th September 2013 at 1:40 am

look amazing and delicious!!

13. Phil in the Kitchen

12th September 2013 at 9:00 pm

Lovely tarts and a fine combination of flavours. If only foraging for white chocolate was a possibility.

13th September 2013 at 9:57 am

Thank you and what a lovely idea Phil – foraging for any kind of chocolate would be wonderful indeed.

14. Angie Schneider

13th September 2013 at 5:32 pm

The tartlets without figs are awesome enough! Figs are like icing on the cake 🙂

15. Kate | Food Babbles

17th September 2013 at 1:23 am

Your tartlets sound absolutely wonderful! I love that you roasted your figs with thyme honey. That sounds wonderful! And the white chocolate and mascarpone filling sound just amazing. I will definitely be giving this a try. Yum!

16. Simple Fig Jam - Fab Food 4 All

13th September 2015 at 5:40 pm

[…] Fig, White Chocolate and Mascarpone Tarts – Tin & Thyme […]

17. Fig and Prosciutto Sandwiches with Whipped Cheese and Honey -

29th September 2015 at 9:29 pm

[…] Fig White Chocolate and Marscapone Tarts from Tin and Thyme […]

18. Jill Roberts @ WellnessGeeky

12th January 2018 at 11:56 am

I tried making these fig white chocolate and mascarpone tarts last night… They were burnt, like bad. I’m trying to figure out what I did wrong? They also were dry. This is the first recipe I’ve ever had difficulty with. :-/

14th January 2018 at 5:38 pm

Hi Jill. I’m really sorry the tarts didn’t work out for you. Ovens vary so much, you really need to get to know your own to get the right temperature and length of cooking time. I expect they were dry because you overbaked them.