Sour Cherry Brownies – A Miracle

This is another post that’s been sitting in my archives for a very long time and one I keep thinking I must post as it might be useful to others. I call these miracle brownies, because just as I thought they were a complete flop and I was panicking about running out of time to make a substitute, a long shot paid off and they came together quite miraculously.

Sour Cherry Brownies

In my humble opinion, no self respecting cake display is complete without some brownies. So when I was planning what to bake for my friend’s house party, I knew some sort of brownies would need to be included. As it happened, I came across a recipe for Chocolate and Cherry Brownies in Green&Black’s Unwrapped when I was looking for another recipe. Brilliant, I had two bars of G&B’s sour cherry chocolate I’d bought at some point just waiting for the right occasion. I have a particular fondness for this bar, it’s a 60% dark chocolate packed full of sour cherries. The bitter, sweet and sour makes for a terrific combination. So substituting this for the dried cherries in the recipe, adding some cocoa and scaling it down by a third, this is what I did:

• Melted 200g unsalted butter in a pan over low heat with 2 x 100g bars of dark cherry chocolate.
  • With electric beaters, whisked 300g vanilla sugar (granulated) with 4 eggs (1 duck & 3 medium hen’s) and a pinch of Pink Himalayan salt for several minutes until thick and tripled in volume.
  • Stirred the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
  • Sifted in 130g flour (half wholemeal, 1/2 white) and 1 tbsp cocoa then folded in until just incorporated.
  • Poured into a 9″ sq cake mould and baked at 180C for 25 minutes.
  • Left to cool and tried to cut into 36 squares BUT disaster, the mixture had not only sunk but was still liquid! Having spent the day baking cakes, I’d had enough at this point, so covered them up and went to bed.
  • In the morning with a clearer head, I thought there was nothing to lose by attempting to rebake them. So back into the oven they went for a further 12 minutes.
  • Amazingly, the mixture rose again – it was a miracle!
  • At this point, I was convinced I’d overdone them, but on cooling and cutting this time, they were just about perfect.
Sour Cherry Brownies

So, I learnt a really useful lesson here. Brownies can be doubly baked with no harm coming to them at all. The brownies were so good, I vowed I would make them again as soon as possible – nearly two years on, I still haven’t done so.

Tags:

1. Foodycat

28th June 2013 at 12:06 pm

That really is a miracle! I’d have been too scared to try that out.

2. Victoria Lee

28th June 2013 at 12:26 pm

They look and sound delicious! And a true brownie miracle! Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

28th June 2013 at 12:34 pm

I am glad you posted this miracle – how often do my recipe not bake enough because my oven is just puffing along trying to catch up with most ovens – wonder if it would work when I cut into a cake and find it is not baked right through despite the lying skewer 🙂 Oh and the brownies look delicious – I agree they are essential in any cake display (but lovely gooey fudgy ones please, not dry disappointing ones)

4. The Ordinary Cook

28th June 2013 at 1:55 pm

Ah genius! I have lots of trouble getting brownies right. I will try a second bake next time they are too gooey.

5. Jacqueline Meldrum

28th June 2013 at 3:51 pm

I can never get my brownies all papery on top like this. I wish I knew the secret. These look gorgeous!

6. Katharine

28th June 2013 at 5:35 pm

They look perfect! Like Jac, I love the papery topping you’ve achieved! It must be your double-bake method – you could patent it!

7. belleau kitchen

29th June 2013 at 8:12 am

they do look like the ‘perfect’ brownie, don’t they… it’s all about the oven temp I think and HUGE amount of butter… I remember making cherry chocolate brownies last year and they were soooooo good… nice work!

8. Katie

29th June 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’d have never thought you could put them back in the oven after they sat overnight. Good to know!
    They look delicious. I love choc and cherry together too

9. Alida

29th June 2013 at 10:18 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t know this was possible!

10. Jean

30th June 2013 at 6:37 am

A miracle indeed. I once threw a tray of brownies in the bin because they were still liquid when they had cooled. It never occurred to me to shove them back in the oven – I just thought they were a write-off. I shall remember this post if it happens again!

11. The Caked Crusader

30th June 2013 at 4:01 pm

Good save! They look lovely

12. Baking Addict

30th June 2013 at 9:21 pm

I’m glad you finally got round to posting this as it’s a very handy tip indeed. Love G & B chocolates – please pass the plate over 🙂

13. larelle

1st July 2013 at 9:47 am

They sound gorgeous! I will have to try them myself. I could imagine them with a nice little dollop of clotted cream 🙂 Nom!

14. Kit @ i-lostinausten

1st July 2013 at 10:51 am

Oh wow! I’m so going to try this out ASAP. Looks so good with cherry & chocolate! Heavenly YUM!

15. cupcakegirl

2nd July 2013 at 4:12 pm

These sound amazing , I love cherry and chocolate as a combo and I can’t beleive I havn’t tried that G&B bar before. … To the shops!

16. Marty Hill

3rd July 2013 at 5:24 pm

My mouth watered this entire blog post. I don’t always care for sour cherries but I always love to eat chocolate. I can’t wait to try to make these. Thank you for posting.

17. Caroline

4th July 2013 at 9:15 pm

They look delicious and well worth sharing. There are so many things I never get round to blogging and just as many things that I keep meaning to remake too. I can’t remember seeing that bar recently though – I used to buy it regularly but haven’t seen it in the supermarkets for a while.

18. Adam @ Miracle berry

30th December 2016 at 5:28 pm

Hi Choclette. This looks very tasty indeed. Not sure if you have ever heard of the Miracle berry? This unusual fruit from Ghana contains a protein called Miraculin which has the ability to change acidic flavours into sweetness. This means by having the right level of acid, in this case the cherry, you can drastically reduce the amount of sugar used. I would be very interested in experimenting with this recipe. If you would like to try a couple of grams ( currently the most expensive fruit in the world) please mail me and I’ll send you some. Take care, Adam.

3rd January 2017 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Adam. They were really good and it’s about time I made them again. Using the miracle berry sounds like an interesting idea.