Chocolate Walnut Torte Squares – Random Recipe 5

“It’s a sin, wickedly rich and fattening, but every spoonful is glory and that’s what chocolate mousse is supposed to be”. Julia child.

These challenges just don’t seem to stop! It’s Dom’s turn again with his Random Recipe challenge from the wonderful Belleau Kitchen – if you haven’t yet discovered this blog, I’d suggest you take a look. My New Cook Book chosen by Lou of Please Do Not Feed The Animals immediately appealed to me. To my delight, the challenge was to pick a recipe at random from the most recent cook book given to you. As usual with this challenge, I only select from my chocolate cook books, which rather limits my choice as I only have eight of them – well actually rather more than eight. This was a perfect opportunity to use a little gem I had been sent in the post a few months ago by a lovely friend along with a beautiful and subsequently much worn necklace she had made for me.

For once, I thought I’d get in early, so no sooner did I read the challenge, than I was hunting down my miniature copy of Chocolate published by Random Press in 1995 and flicking through the gold rimmed pages. I haven’t included this one before as it’s more a collection of chocolate related quotes than actual recipes interspersed with wonderfully decedent photographs of elegant chocolate creations. Strangely enough, I got an actual recipe on my first attempt – this torte. It was too late to do anything about it at that point as it was pretty much bed time; looking down the list of ingredients I realised I needed rum. Rum? I’ve seen so many recipes requiring rum recently and had been meaning to purchase some of this sailor’s stalwart ration. Now I had run out of excuses and so I remedied this deficit the next day. This is what I did:

• Melted 6oz 70% dark chocolate with 6oz unsalted butter over a pan of hot water.
  • Mixed until smooth, then removed from heat.
  • Stirred in 3 tbsp rum.
  • Blitzed 3oz walnuts in a coffee grinder.
  • Separated 4 duck eggs (large hens eggs will do) into two bowls.
  • Whisked egg whites with 1/4 tsp cream of tartar until soft peak stage.
  • Gradually added 2oz caster sugar and continued to whisk until stiff.
  • Added 4oz caster sugar to the egg yolks in the other bowl and beat until mixture was pale and had doubled in volume.
  • Folded in chocolate mixture followed by the walnuts and 1oz sifted flour.
  • Lastly folded in the egg whites 1/3 at a time.
  • Poured into a 9″ silicone mould (recipe stated 8″, but I don’t have one of those) and baked at 180C for 20 mins.
  • Left to cool then cut into 16 squares.

The torte rose beautifully, but like a soufflé promptly sank soon after leaving the oven. It smelt wonderful and as an added bonus the scent of chocolate and rum seemed to find its way into every crevice in the house as well as wafting into the garden.

These were just right for a hot summer’s day (which it was), not dense like a brownie but light and mousse like. They were cool in the mouth but also melted on the tongue. The chocolate was rich and strong; the rum was subtle yet lingered pleasantly on the tastebuds for a while after the torte had disappeared. They went extremely well with a good sized dollop of strawberry cream – a recipe that will be appearing here at some future date. Faffier to make than your average brownie, these are well worth the effort for a special occasion, or in our case, a not so special occasion.

Tags: ,

1. aforkfulofspaghetti

4th June 2011 at 9:05 am

Aha! These sound like dessert brownies to me – best served warm and with a dollop of cream, as you say, or even ice cream. Or, perhaps, both 😉 Yum.

2. Brownieville Girl

4th June 2011 at 11:28 am

They sound really wonderful – lucky ramdom choice there!

3. Anonymous

4th June 2011 at 1:45 pm

Yum! Its breakfast time. Your lastest creations sound like the perfect breakfast dish!

4. Baking Addict

4th June 2011 at 1:50 pm

mmm… these look great! Love your chocolate book especially the gold rimmed pages 🙂

5. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

4th June 2011 at 3:36 pm

Love them! And I live that book with the gold edged pages! it’s a chocolate weekend for both of us clearly. Although it’s always a chocolate weekend in your house methinks? Thanks for taking part and being first! Xx

6. C

4th June 2011 at 5:15 pm

They look delicious, and I’m very impressed that you’ve already managed to do the RR challenge!

7. Gloria

4th June 2011 at 8:03 pm

I love this recipe and I want this book (he,he) look amazing! gloria

8. Nic@daydreamaboutfood

4th June 2011 at 8:10 pm

They look really yummy

9. Foodycat

4th June 2011 at 8:58 pm

I love the texture of this sort of fallen souffle brownie. So rich and decadent!

10. cityhippyfarmgirl

5th June 2011 at 2:44 am

Always a good thing when the smells of chocolate and rum waft through the garden.

11. Katie

5th June 2011 at 6:45 am

This looks sinfully delicious. I love the idea of using walnuts in place of the usual almonds that most recipes use. I really don’t use walnuts enough.

12. Bizzy

5th June 2011 at 7:47 am

I have to make these. The idea of light and mousse like is more than I can handle.

Please link this to Bake With Bizzy. It will inspire me to get baking.

13. Suman Singh

5th June 2011 at 12:31 pm

Anything with chocolate sounds super YUM and delicious to me..and these looks so perfect! love the recipe..thanks for sharing!

5th June 2011 at 1:05 pm

walnuts and chocolate and a little booze sounds excellent to me – would happily snack on this in winter too

5th June 2011 at 5:12 pm

Wow! This looks far too good to eat I am afraid and so I’ll just be popping around and taking the lot from you ;0)

16. MissCakeBaker

5th June 2011 at 4:51 pm

I love walnuts in brownies. Delicious!

17. Maria♥

5th June 2011 at 5:23 pm

Those squares of chocolate look divine!

Maria
    x

5th June 2011 at 6:48 pm

ooh I love walnuts. This sounds lush.

5th June 2011 at 7:40 pm

Aforkful – yep, I’m up for all of those 😉

BVG – I deserve a bit of luck after the last one 🙁

Anon – hope you enjoyed breakfast!

Baking Addict – it’s a very cute book.

Dom – it looks classier than my average book and I’m very glad you gave the opportunity to use it. Of course it’s always a chocolate weekend here. At some point I’ll probably have had enough of chocolate and that will be the end of this blog.

C – thank you, I’ve impressed myself 🙂

Gloria – it’s a lovely little book and I’m hanging on to it.

Nic – they are 😉

Foodycat – I’m always up for rich and decedent. I just can’t believe how light they are.

CityHippy – I can safely say this is the first time it’s ever happened to me 😉

Katie – you’re right and they work really well too.

Bizzy – let me know if you ever do make them.

Suman – you’re right, chocolate is hard to beat 🙂

Johanna – agree with you of course, think I could eat these pretty much any time too.

MCB – it’s fun to try the walnuts in a different form for a change.

Chele – for decoration?

Maria – thank you.

Janice – I’ll go with lush.

20. The Caked Crusader

6th June 2011 at 7:43 am

Walnut is fast becoming my favourite nut to bake with – these look great

21. celia

6th June 2011 at 10:57 am

Looks very moreish, Choc! And I love the delicate tinge to the cream, just beautiful!

22. Kath

6th June 2011 at 11:05 am

Sounds and looks delicious. I also love your little aside (large hens eggs will do) I hope you are saying it in your snootiest voice to give it the full effect 😉 I love that rose plate too, what pattern is it?

23. Mehjabeen Arif

6th June 2011 at 4:41 pm

Looks too good..

New to ur space and Happy to follow u 🙂
    Do visit me as time permits

6th June 2011 at 7:55 pm

CC – I tend to use walnuts as crunchy pieces of nut, but haven’t used them much ground up and they work surprisingly well.

Celia – Glad you noticed the colour, it didn’t show up well in the photo, but it was a lovely pale pink. I think you’d like these Celia.

Kath – Oh sorry, didn’t I sound snooty enough, will have to try harder next time – he he. I have a collection of odd saucers I’ve picked up in jumble sales over the years – that one is Dorchester – no cup to go with it though.

Mehjabeen – thanks for your comment and for following

25. Monica

8th June 2011 at 7:14 pm

These are beautiful. Having just tried making brownies for the first time (only semi-successfully) I am now determined to get better at these types of treats. The crusty top on yours looks sublime (more sublime than I’ve made it sound!). Perfect with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream, and maybe some fresh strawberries (I love berries and chocolate together). Interesting that you separate the whites and yolks – what does this achieve? Are they less dense than brownies?

8th June 2011 at 7:38 pm

Monica – I like a good dense fudgy brownie but these are something quite different. They are really light and almost melt on the tongue. Posh brownies for a dinner party rather than say for a bbq or picnic. But like a good brownie, they seem to be keeping well. Just had one now. Interestingly the rum has developed and is now more noticeable than it was initially.