Apple, Orange Pudding with a Ginger Chocolate Crunchy Oat Topping

Pudding | 22nd April 2013 | By

Well there’s a mouthful and I should probably have come up with something a bit snappier, but it pretty much describes this pudding. I’d just made Karen’s Orange Liqueur (shockingly back in October 2011), so I had a load of oranges minus their skin that needed using up fast. I also noticed at about the same time that some of the apples I’d been given a while ago looked like they were in need of using too. So an apple and orange pudding of some kind it had to be. Time being limited, a nice easy oaty one seemed to be in order.

This is what I did to make:

Apple, Orange Pudding with a Ginger Chocolate Crunchy Oat Topping

• Peeled, cored and sliced 5 large Cornish cooking apples.
  • Layered them in a buttered ovenproof dish with 50g demerara sugar scattered amongst the apples.
  • Poured over the juice of two oranges and a little water.
  • Melted 75g butter in a large pan with 1 heaped tbsp golden syrup.
  • Stirred in 8oz rolled oats, 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 40g chopped crystallised ginger.
  • Stirred in 50g chopped 60% dark chocolate.
  • Spooned this over the top of the apples.
  • Baked for 30 minutes at 180C.

Thanks to Alpha Bakes for getting me to dig out this rather delicious pudding I’d completely forgotten about. I wanted to enter this month’s AlphaBakes and was hoping to make some A is for Almond macaroons, but time is running out and I’m currently on my way back from my cousin’s three day wedding in Wales. So I had a quick check through my drafts and found this A is for Apple, Orange Pudding with a Ginger and Chocolate Crunchy Oat Topping. AlphaBakes is hosted this month by Ros of The more than occasional baker and on alternate month’s by Caroline Makes.

As I had both apples and oranges in need of using up, I am entering this into the No Waste Food Challenge, which this month is fruit. Established by Kate of Turquoise Lemons, this month is hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen.

And for much the same reason as above, I am also entering this pudding into Credit Crunch Munch with Camilla of Fab Food 4 All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.

22nd April 2013 at 11:33 am

I don’t know if I am more amazed that you still have a draft you can post from 2011 or if your cousin has a 3 day wedding (or did you just mean a 3 day trip to the wedding)? Sounds a delicious pudding anyway

22nd April 2013 at 1:18 pm

Haha Johanna – be amazed at both. I have two drafts I started four years ago. i’m always starting posts and then not quite getting around to finishing them. And my cousin’s wedding was indeed three days – or rather the celebrations lasted three days. never been to one of those before. I shall be blogging about it soon.

2. Alida

23rd April 2013 at 1:50 pm

Lots of beautiful flavours packed into this pudding Choclette. I am still not geared up with ginger. I must say we Italians don’t use it a lot and I am slowly learning about it and getting to like its taste. I love it in savoury dishes and still have to discover it with puddings. Very yummy though!

24th April 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Alida – this is really more of a winter warmer, but I suspect I’d be happy to eat it at any time. It’s interesting that Italian cuisine uses herbs more predominantly than spices. I hadn’t really thought of that before.

3. Katharine

23rd April 2013 at 3:31 pm

I like names like this so I know exactly what’s in a recipe! This pudding sounds lovely, very comforting and I actually have half a block of G&B’s ginger chocolate sitting in my cupboard so think that would work perfectly here! Hope you enjoyed the wedding, saw that you were in Caerphilly castle which I’ve been to and can imagine it made a wonderfully atmospheric setting for the celebrations!

24th April 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thanks Katharine. I was going to get CT to think of a whizzy name for it (he’s good at that sort of thing), but in the end I think you’re right, it would have been meaningless to virtually everyone else.

The wedding was great thank you and Caerphilly castle is truly impressive. First time I’ve been there. It made for a great setting, but there were an awful lot of goose pimples to be seen. Hoping to get a post up soon.

4. Camilla @FabFood4All.co.uk

24th April 2013 at 8:00 pm

A gorgeous sounding pud and I too have recently discovered chocolate and ginger are a great topping, comfort food indeed:-) Thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch this month. I have a bar of Divine Dark Chocolate with Ginger and Orange that would be perfect on here:-)

5. clair downham

25th April 2013 at 8:58 am

ooh love the sound of this pudding especially the crunchy topping

6. Helen Moulden

25th April 2013 at 9:13 pm

This looks incredible! Another one for the list of ‘have to try!’. Thank you!

7. Elizabeth

26th April 2013 at 7:21 am

This sounds lovely! I love the sound of these combined flavours. I bet it’d make a fantastic winter pudding. 🙂 Thanks for entering it into the No Waste Food Challenge!

8. Piper and Daisy

26th April 2013 at 7:32 am

this sounds yummy, and with the slight amendment to use gluten free oats & dark chocolate it would be perfect for coeliacs like me 🙂

9. Baking Addict

28th April 2013 at 6:33 pm

I’m glad AlphaBakes gave you a chance to publish this post as it’s one worth sharing! Love the combination of apples and orange and the oaty topping. I’ll have to give the ginger a miss tho as I’m not a fan. More chocolate for me 🙂

10. Sarah Michelle

11th February 2014 at 8:04 am

Chocolate with orange pudding is a nice experience, but with apples, it is very good. I must try it at valentine’s day. n by the way happy valentine day.