Eve’s Pudding – Apple and Ground Cherry

Apple & Ground Cherry Eve's Pudding

British, Pudding | 11th November 2010 | By

A simple but classic British fruit sponge dessert that’s most often made with apples. Once baked, you end up with three layers, the fruit itself, a gooey sponge and a crisp yet light top. This version of Eve’s pudding includes ground cherries as well as apples.

I have a confession to make and it may be shocking to some: this pudding has no chocolate in it. There I’ve said it!

This is a pudding I used to make regularly about ten years ago following on from a Sophie Grigson cookery series on television.  I haven’t made in such a long time, however, I thought it was due for a revival. And because it’s such a good one, I thought I really ought to share it. Sophie’s version didn’t contain ground cherries and I expect my method has morphed quite a bit from the original, but I think I’ve retained its spirit.

Eve’s Pudding with Apples and Ground Cherries

One of the reasons I like Sophie’s version of Eve’s pudding is that it uses lemons. This lifts a traditional rib sticking British pud to something a bit more refined. I’ve used a mixture of wholemeal spelt flour and polenta to make the sponge. This gives it a bit of texture, which I really like. The polenta also gives the whole pudding a beautiful autumnal glow as the yellow corn meal almost matches the golden ground cherries.

You can of course, omit the ground cherries and use all apple instead. Or substitute for the fruit of your choice.

The juice of the fruit bubbling at the base is absorbed into the bottom of the sponge which makes it delightfully moist. In effect you end up with three layers. There’s the fruit itself, the gooey sponge and a crisp yet light top. We consumed it avidly hot from the oven with Cornish clotted cream – of course!

This really is a rather fabulous if simple pudding. If you can’t get hold of clotted cream, try it with custard. I expect a lot of you would prefer that anyway.

Chocolate and Cinnamon Eve’s Pudding

For an equally delicious chocolate version, omit all but a squeeze of lemon. Instead, add a little ground cinnamon to the fruit and to the flour then melt some dark chocolate along with the butter. It makes for a completely different pudding and is really good for those dark autumn and winter nights.

Other Apple Pudding Recipes You Might Like

If you’re after more hot pudding inspiration, why not take a look at these recipes in my Pudding category? And for more apple ideas, hop over to this 80 seasonal and delicious apple recipes to make this autumn.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this Eve’s pudding or the chocolate version, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Eve’s Pudding. PIN IT.

Apple & Ground Cherry Eve's Pudding with a good dollop of Cornish clotted cream.

Eve’s Pudding – The Recipe

Apple & Ground Cherry Eve's Pudding
Print Pin
5 from 1 vote

Eve's Pudding

A simple but classic fruit sponge dessert that's most often made with apples. Once baked, you end up with three layers: the fruit itself, a gooey sponge and a crisp yet light top. This version of Eve's pudding includes ground cherries as well as apples and the sponge is made with a mix of wholemeal flour and polenta for a bit of added texture.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Keyword: apples, ground cherries, polenta, wholemeal spelt flour
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 348kcal

• 500 g (1 lb) cooking apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 250 g (½ lb) ground cherries
  • 30 g (1 oz) demerara sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 unwaxed lemon - zest and juice

Sponge

• 40 g (1 ½ oz) polenta
  • 40 g (1 ½ oz) wholemeal spelt flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 60 g (2 oz) golden caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 large egg (I used a duck egg)
  • 60 g (2 oz) butter - melted
  • milk

• Mix together the ground cherries, apples, demerara sugar, honey and the grated zest of ½ of the lemon.
  • Place in a buttered baking dish and bake at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) for about 10 minutes until the fruit starts to soften.

Sponge

• Meanwhile, stir the polenta, flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and zest of ½ lemon together in a bowl.
  • Make a well in the centre and add the egg, melted butter, juice of ½ lemon and enough milk to make a good dropping consistency.
  • Spoon the mixture over the fruit and bake for 25 mins until the sponge is well risen and golden.

Notes

You can of course, omit the ground cherries and use all apple instead. Or substitute for fruit of your choice.
For a chocolate sponge version, just add a little lemon zest and a squeeze of juice to the fruit along with ¼ tsp ground cinnamon. For the sponge, omit the lemon and add 50g dark chocolate when melting the butter and ½ tsp of ground cinnamon to the flour.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 66.5g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5.6g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 8.2g | Sugar: 47.6g | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg

1. Gill the Painter

11th November 2010 at 7:14 am

This is what I would describe as my kind of pudding.
    And the perfect amount of cream for me too – how did you know, Choclette?

2. Brownieville Girl

11th November 2010 at 7:36 am

Lovely winter dessert.

3. Anonymous

11th November 2010 at 11:36 am

What a shocking confession! It looks lovely I have always been tempted by Eve’s Pudding. I will give your version a try one of these sundays, without the ground cherries unfortunately.

4. Rhyleysgranny

11th November 2010 at 12:13 pm

I love Eve’s pudding. Yours looks and sounds just perfect. can you tell me what ‘ground’ cherries are?

11th November 2010 at 6:53 pm

No chocolate?!?!?! Oh my goodness, are you feeling ok Hun? Just kidding ;0)
    Looks wonderful, I’ve never sampled Eve’s Pudding before but this is very tempting.

6. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

11th November 2010 at 7:48 pm

i’ve fainted!… you not cooking with chocolate is the equivalent of a Victorian lady showing us her ankles! it’s too shocking to comment… I need to sit down with a bowl of Eve’s pudding…

7. Ananda Rajashekar

11th November 2010 at 8:44 pm

No chocolate oh no! ha ha but this is fantastic pudding honey and lemon wow!

8. Joanna

11th November 2010 at 9:21 pm

Are ground cherries the fruits of the orange lantern plants? I’ve just put away a bowl of apple crumble and have loads of neighbourly apples in the garage. Could be Eve pudding next week. Looks awfully good 🙂

9. Alessandra

11th November 2010 at 11:26 pm

Well, sometimes is good to have a little break from chocolate 🙂

10. Northern Snippet

11th November 2010 at 11:34 pm

Chef was talking about this the other day.His Mum used to make it.Thanks for the recipe!

11. blackbookkitchendiaries

12th November 2010 at 1:30 am

my aunt use to bake this for me whenever i visit… this reminds me of her..thank you for sharing this and for stopping by my blog.

12. Hanna

12th November 2010 at 10:18 am

Looks really yummy! I really wanted to have a go at growing some ground cherries for this summer but I was worried it wouldnt be warm enough!

13. Grazing Kate

12th November 2010 at 12:52 pm

wot no choc!
    do you use a variety of cherries (that grow on the ground?!) or ground-up dried cherries? Sorry, being obtuse but confused by the previous comment.
    Looks lovely and that wodge of cream on the top is perfect.

14. Kath

12th November 2010 at 7:02 pm

Sorry Choclette, I appear to have appeared as anonymous in my comment above – I didn’t mean to. I have no idea what I did wrong there. It was me, should you be wondering.

12th November 2010 at 8:32 pm

Gill – you like your cream too then?

Thanks BVG

Kath – thanks for letting me know it’s you – I thought I had a secret admirer. I think you’d enjoy Eve’s pudding. You can always substitute flour for polenta.

RhyleysGranny – ground cherries are a type of physalis (a bit like Cape gooseberries) – easy to grow, not so easy to buy.

Chele – Eve’s pudding is a good one.

Dom – and what makes you think anyone gets a sight of my ankles. It’s a good pud, do try.

Ananda – thanks, honey and lemon in pudding form to stave of those winter colds.

Joanna – closely related, both are physalis. Ground cherries are annuals and a lot nicer to eat.

Alessandra – the break from chocolate didn’t last long.

Northern Snippet – you could always substitute the polenta for flour for a more traditional version.

BlackBook – thank you. It’s good to know others appreciate this pudding.

Hanna – these grow fine oudoors in Britain – do give them a go.

Grazing Kate – ground cherries are a type of physalis – an annual that grows well outdoors in the UK.

16. Kavita Favelle

23rd October 2019 at 4:10 pm

I’ve still never made Eve’s pudding!!

23rd October 2019 at 4:16 pm

Oh you absolutely should Kavey, especially at this time of year. It’s no better than a good crumble, but it makes a nice change.

17. Emma

1st November 2019 at 11:44 am

Is it really bad that I have no idea what ground cherries are?! This sounds delicious though 🙂

1st November 2019 at 1:19 pm

Hahaha, no not really Emma. They are not in the least bit common here in the UK, but they ought to be. They are so easy to grow. Ours just seed around all over the place.