Chocolate Marsala Cake
Another birthday, another new cake. This one, from Nigella, has been calling to me for years, but it’s only now that I have finally got around to it and then made two in two days. I didn’t think I was going to get a chance to try this one, so cunningily, I made a trial version without the icing so we could get to see what it was like. Am I glad I did!
- Melted 100g butter with 100g 85% dark chocolate
- Whisked 4 duck eggs with 175g brown sugar until thick and mousy
- Folded in 50g white spelt flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Folded in the cooled chocolate mixture
- Poured into 22 cm round cake tin and baked in a preheated oven, 180°C (gas 4) for 30 mins.
- Cooled on rack for 5 mins
- Spooned 9 tsp of Marsala over as much cake as possible & left to cool in tin
- Melted 100g 70% dark chocolate with 100ml double cream and 1 tbsp Marsala
- Whisked until thick enough to use as icing
- Poured this over cooled cake.