Easter Brownies

Now what do you do with 100g of delicious handmade marzipan left over from making your simnel cake? Well, brownies of course – specifically Easter brownies. I’d had a look at Paul A Young’s simnel brownies, but although I really must try that recipe at some point in my life, I didn’t feel now was it. Possibly the best ever brownies I’ve yet made are those from Pam Corbin’s most excellent of books Cake: River Cottage handbook no 8. I still haven’t managed to post about them, so I’m posting this adapted second version first.

This is what I did:

• Melted 185g dark chocolate (100g with cranberries, 85g of 85%) with 185g unsalted butter in a pan over a low heat then left to cool slightly.
  • Whisked 3 duck eggs with 275g sugar (175g vanilla caster & 100g dark molasses) using an electric whisk for a good 5 minutes until thick and doubled in volume.
  • Folded the chocolate into the eggs.
  • Sifted in 85g wholemeal spelt flour, 40g cocoa powder, 1 tsp cinnamon and a good grating of nutmeg.
  • Folded it all in together.
  • Gently stirred in 100g of marzipan I’d cut into small cubes.
  • Spooned into a 9″ sq cake mould and baked for 27 minutes at 180C.
  • Left to cool overnight.
  • Cut into 16 squares and pressed a mini chocolate egg onto the top of each one.

Nothing much to say except mmmmmmm!! And I will most certainly be making these Easter brownies again. AND they are so quick to make, you still have plenty of time to whip some up for Easter tea.

I hope you all have a very Happy Easter and don’t forget to enjoy your chocolate.

Every month Kate of What Kate Baked and Karen of Lavender and Lovage take turns hosting a tea time treats event where it’s usually very hard to resist virtual overindulgence. I am submitting this to the massive Easter party hosted this month by Kate.

1. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

8th April 2012 at 7:33 am

Oh good lord they look gooooood! I am so tempted to haul my lazy arse out of bed and go make these but …

11th April 2012 at 5:52 pm

Dom, they were damn good and sure worth getting out of bed for 🙂

2. Kate@whatkatebaked

8th April 2012 at 7:56 am

I’m a huge, huge fan of marzipan…and to add them to Brownies?! Brilliant! Happy Easter Choclette!

11th April 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thank you Kate – marzipan in brownies is just …. wonderful. Hope you had a great Easter.

3. Hannah

8th April 2012 at 9:24 am

I’m glad you found a use for your leftover marzipan! Adding it into brownies is an epic idea. Hope you have a great chocolatey Easter!

11th April 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hannah, it was a great use for the marzipan, although I’d have been very happy to just demolish it straight! Think I had more cake than chocolate, but am hoping to make up for it soon 😉 Hope you had a lovely holiday.

4. missflash

8th April 2012 at 10:52 am

Looks beautiful and very appetising x

5. Shaheen

8th April 2012 at 11:20 am

What a way with marzipan, now pass me one over.

11th April 2012 at 6:16 pm

Oh Shaheen, I think there might just be one left 😉

6. Javelin Warrior

8th April 2012 at 11:56 am

Wow, duck eggs! I’m impressed b/c I don’t think I could even find duck eggs locally even if I wanted to… These brownies sound delicious…

11th April 2012 at 6:18 pm

I do try and use duck eggs in my baking if I can JW, but they are seasonal so I make the most of them during the spring and summer.

7. Mozart's Girl

8th April 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yum! Even I…who can barely look a brownie in the eye (!) after baking so many every week…think these look delish! save me a crusty corner! Happy Easter xoxo Rachel

12th April 2012 at 10:57 am

Ha ha, I can imagine the best way to wean oneself from chocolate and other sweet stuff is to bake it all day long – does it really work I wonder? Can do better than a crusty corner – a whole virtual slice is winging it’s way towards you. Hope you had a lovely Easter.

8. Caroline

8th April 2012 at 2:17 pm

Ooh, yum. I’ll have to fish out my copy of the book and have another look at these – they look great with the added marzipan too.

12th April 2012 at 12:01 pm

See what you think Caroline. I always find it difficult to figure out which is the best because they are no all laid out before me to try at the same time, but I’ve found Pam’s to be some of the best. Now, I wouldn’t have thought marzipan was your thing?

9. A Trifle Rushed

8th April 2012 at 5:45 pm

You must be the best chocolate baker in the world. I’m tempted to swap my holiday home in Brittany for one in Cornwall, so I could pop round for any leftovers! If you move to Richmond please let me know! 🙂 happy Easter. Jude x

12th April 2012 at 1:52 pm

He he Jude, wouldn’t I just love to be the best chocolate baker in the world! And it would be lovely to have your pop round for a slice or two of something – it wouldn’t have to be leftovers honestly 😉 Hope you’re having a great time in Brittany & thanks for the Easter wishes.

10. Baking Addict

8th April 2012 at 7:01 pm

Brownies are one of my favourite but not marzipan as you know! Did the wholemeal spelt flour add to the texture or taste? I’ve never tried brownies with different flours before. I’ve definitely over indulged in chocolate including my favourite Green&Black butterscotch egg. Happy Easter! x

12th April 2012 at 7:40 pm

Spelt adds to the texture rather than taste – it’s hard to taste anything that subtle in a brownie, but if I add spelt I can kid myself I’m getting some good out of them 😉 Glad you got plenty of chocolate over Easter. Thanks for the good wishes.

11. fiona maclean

8th April 2012 at 7:05 pm

No No NO….STOP posting pictures that make me want more chocolate!

13th April 2012 at 12:24 pm

Ha ha Fiona – I’m not known as a wicked temptress for nothing 😉

12. Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com

8th April 2012 at 10:21 pm

Your brownies look really nice and squidgy. Yum…. – but the marzipan thing is a no for me too. Strangely, I adore almonds but hate marzipan. How can that be ?

Look out for the front cover recipe on Good Food magazine ( the new one ). I made an adapted version of that on Friday and it is very good too.

13th April 2012 at 12:27 pm

Now that is just being pig-headed surely! Will look out for GFM, thank you. There are always so many good things to make – luckily!

13. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

8th April 2012 at 10:34 pm

Mmmm I love the idea of nutmeg and cinnamon in these brownies with the marzipan. Definitely a flavour combo that I haven’t tried before but sounds wonderful! Happy Easter Tea Time!

15th April 2012 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Hazel. They worked really well as a flavour with the marzipan, slightly unusual but quite delicious.

9th April 2012 at 2:18 am

marzipan and molasses in a brownie sounds delish – just what is needed at easter – got to go and take a small finger out of a choc chip muesli slice

15th April 2012 at 7:06 pm

Now you’re just trying to make me feel over indulgent, your muesli slice sounds like the sort of thing I ought to be eating instead of brownies.

9th April 2012 at 6:34 am

Decadent brownies for |Easter go hand in hand really. They look like they turned out a treat.

15th April 2012 at 7:07 pm

Ha ha Chele, you are so right and they made up for the lack of Easter eggs 😉

16. Katie

10th April 2012 at 6:11 am

Sound fabulous and like the sound of whisking the eggs. Very much like a choc truffle cake. Love the marzipan addition! Happy Easter

15th April 2012 at 7:08 pm

Katie, I still haven’t made a truffle cake and I really must try one. Thanks for the Easter wishes and hope you had a good one.

17. Nic

10th April 2012 at 11:22 am

So glad to see that you found a way to use up the left-over marzipan. Great ideas as always. Hope you had a lovely Easter.

15th April 2012 at 7:10 pm

Nic, thank you. Hope you had a lovely Easter too. I could quite happily have eaten the left-over marzipan all by itself, but managed to resist. I resisted and then indulged in these brownies instead 😀

18. thelittleloaf

10th April 2012 at 12:34 pm

I love the idea of adding a little Easter spice to brownies. A few years ago I wouldn’t have wanted to contaminate the taste of pure chocolate, but as my palate matures I’m getting more and more keen on mixing it up a little.

16th April 2012 at 1:57 pm

Ah, now maybe there’s something to be said for keeping things simple and not contaminating the taste of pure chocolate – a good brownie doesn’t really need anything more, but it is fun to experiment.

19. Kit @ i-lostinausten

10th April 2012 at 6:28 pm

What a great idea & amazing recipe !! Very interesting adding duck eggs! Never tried before & these brownies look tempting!! YUM! 🙂

16th April 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thank you Kit. I always try and use duck eggs for baking if I can get them as they generally give a better result. But I can’t always get them.

20. Karen S Booth

12th April 2012 at 3:59 pm

What a REALLY inventive way of using up the rest of the home made marzipan….this is a brilliant entry into TTT thanks Choclette and it’s great to see that are using duck eggs too! 🙂

16th April 2012 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Karen. Re duck eggs, see above comment.