St Clements Cake Truffles

For Mother’s Day this year, I decided to make some cake truffles. I had some left over lemon & poppy seed cake from the book swap event which, I thought, mixed with orange, would make some nice tangy St Clements Truffles.

This is what I did:

• Creamed 1/2 oz unsalted butter with 1 oz icing sugar until very pale.
  • Crumbled in a square of lemon & poppy seed cake.
  • Beat this together until all incorporated and smooth.
  • Added a couple of teaspoons of orange liqueur & beat some more.
  • Formed into small balls and placed in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
  • Melted 60g dark chocolate (Green&Black’s 72% cook’s chocolate).
  • Dipped the cake balls into the chocolate and placed on some greasproof paper to set.
  • Almost immediately, placed a sugar flour on top of each before the chocolate set.
  • Placed in a pretty box and tied a ribbon around.
Oh my, these were delicious. It may not say much for the sophistication of my palate, but I’m becoming a real fan of cake truffles. They are a lot nicer than I would ever have believed and are set off so well when covered with a nice dark chocolate. I was a little concerned at how well the lemon flavour would go with chocolate, but I needn’t have been – sweet and sharp is a well known winning combination. The box found its way back to me empty, so I have to assume my mother quite liked them too.
A walk along the lovely Lerryn river following an early lunch at Duchy Nursery were to be the treat of the day. My mother is particularly enamoured of the leaf that appears in the froth on the top of their coffees, as can be seen in the above picture (sort of). Although the weather was showery, we didn’t get rained on, which was most fortuitous as, due to an oversight on the restaurant’s part, we had to sit outside for lunch. Luckily, my mother is a hardy soul and she really enjoyed her day.

1. Foodycat

15th April 2012 at 9:53 am

They are so pretty! I am not generally a fan of fruit and chocolate together (I don’t count prunes or cherries because they almost ARE chocolate) but there is something about citrus that just works.

2. Green Dragonette

15th April 2012 at 10:37 am

Oh I could eat one of those now with my mid-morning cup of coffee!!

3. Hotly Spiced

15th April 2012 at 12:25 pm

I do love the look of these. They are very elegant and pretty and perfect for Mother’s Day. xx

4. Caroline

15th April 2012 at 1:25 pm

They look so lovely. I keep meaning to try cake truffles – my mum loves them too!

5. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

15th April 2012 at 1:54 pm

so pretty! and a little like cake pops but just more sophisticated!… love them!… sounds like a wonderful day… proper April showers eh?

15th April 2012 at 2:05 pm

cake balls, a lovely cafe and a walk in wonderful surrounds – sounds like a great mother’s day – I am quite enamoured of the cake balls or truffles – keep eyeing off old cake in the freezer and wondering if it is the day for it!

7. hungryhinny

15th April 2012 at 4:46 pm

If you fancy venturing further down into Cornwall, try taking your mother to Relish in Wadebridge or 108 Coffee in Truro – both do very fancy things with the froth on their coffees!

8. freerangegirl

15th April 2012 at 7:34 pm

Oranges and lemons these look good! I’ve made a similar mix for cake pops but I much prefer this idea x

9. laura@howtocookgoodfood

15th April 2012 at 7:08 pm

I have to agree with you on this. I tried out various cake truffles for a cookery class and found that lemon sponge works extremely well just as much as orange cake did. I love how easy they are to make in comparison to regular choc truffles too. And as they gift they are always so well received.
    Bet your mum thoroughly enjoyed herself too!

10. chilliandchai

15th April 2012 at 7:32 pm

Oh so pretty, the little sugar flower against the dark chocolate is lovely, I can almost smell that orange chocolate combo!

11. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

15th April 2012 at 7:38 pm

These sound wonderful! I have never tried making cake truffles but they sound very inviting indeed. I love the addition of orange liqueur. Citrus and dark chocolate is a very winning combination. Great recipe, Choclette! 🙂

15th April 2012 at 9:13 pm

Haven’t had a cake truffle for years, used to be the only kind we knew of! Yours sound good.

13. teawithhazel

15th April 2012 at 10:28 pm

making your own chocolate gift for your mother for mother’s day was a very special thing to do..i’ve never heard of cake truffles but i know i’d like them especially with the orange liqueur..yum..:)

14. Hannah

16th April 2012 at 7:02 am

I have never made cake truffles but you make them sound very tempting!

15. Angie's Recipes

16th April 2012 at 5:47 pm

I would love a few of cake truffles! They look gorgeous.

16. Phil in the Kitchen

16th April 2012 at 9:51 pm

They sound great and an excellent way of using up leftover cake. Not that I’m suggesting that leftover cake is very common – well, it’s not in my experience, anyway.

17. Clare

17th April 2012 at 9:35 am

They look fabulous, I would love to make truffles – great for giving away as gifts!

18. Working london mummy

17th April 2012 at 10:35 pm

What a lovely recipe and I like the instructions, make it look easy.

19. Javelin Warrior

18th April 2012 at 9:20 pm

You make this look and sound so simple, but I can guarantee mine would not turn out looking this good. Anything that requires careful piping or fussing ends in misery for me 😉

20. AngelaC

19th April 2012 at 5:27 pm

They look lovely! Must try them one day 🙂

21. Baking Addict

19th April 2012 at 11:24 pm

I am a new convert to cake truffles (discovered after a baking disaster) Much less hassle than cake pops and just as good if not better! Yours look lovely and sophisticated.