Roasted aubergines, chickpeas and tomatoes flavoured with Middle Eastern spices and dressed with flaxseed oil and lemon juice. All served on a bed of cooked barley. Why not ring the changes and try this vegan barley bowl?
Barley is a much underrated grain. It grows well in the UK, it’s easy to cook, has a nice nutty flavour and is highly nutritious. Traditionally, it’s used in soups, but I’ve been using it more and more these days as the main grain in our meals. This dish is a simple meal of whole grain barley topped with a combination of spiced aubergine, chickpeas and tomatoes.
Barley Bowl with Spiced Aubergine, Chickpeas & Tomatoes
I was wondering what to do with the aubergine I received in my Spanish fruit and veg box. My first thought was to make the aubergine dip that turned me into being a bit iffy about aubergines to actually liking them. Then I spotted a Mary Berry recipe for Middle Eastern aubergine and chickpea salad and decided I could adapt it to make something similar. Only mine was to be a main meal and a warm dish rather than a cold one.
It all panned out very nicely and I enjoyed the aubergine part just as much as the rest. The different flavours and textures worked really well with the barley. CT said it was so good, he thought we should have it again and soon. Served warm rather than hot and with seasonal ingredients, this barley bowl would make a lovely summer meal, ideal for alfresco dining.
Other Recipes Using Barley You Might Like
- Barley lentil dinner with walnut gremolata and roasted tomatoes via Tin and Thyme
- Cider & barley stuffed tomatoes via The Veg Space
- Golden turmeric barley with cauliflower via A2K – A Seasonal Veg Table
- Pearl barley risotto with butternut squash via Supper in the Suburbs
Show Me Your Barley Bowl
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this barley bowl with spiced aubergines, chickpeas and tomatoes, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
If you’d like to see more recipes for meals in a bowl, follow the link and you’ll find I have a few of them. All delicious, of course.
Barley Bowl. PIN IT.
Barley Bowl – The Recipe
Barley Bowl with Spiced Aubergines, Chickpeas and Tomatoes
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp za'atar
- 4 tomatoes - quartered
- 1 tin of chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 100 g whole grain barley or grain of choice to serve
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil or cold-pressed olive oil
- ½ tsp tamari or soy sauce of choice
- ½ organic lemon - juice and zest
- 1 garlic clove
- 12 chive leaves - finely snipped
- Rinse the pearl barley well and cover with water to about twice the depth of the barley. Bring to the boil in a well sealed pan and simmer for about 25 minutes or until tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the aubergine into chunky chip sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large baking tray in a hot oven, 200℃ (400℉, Gas 6). Throw in the aubergine chips and toss to coat in the oil. Sprinkle on 2 tsp of the Za'atar and toss again. Return to the oven and roast for about 20 minutes until they're just tender.
- Push the aubergine pieces to one side and add the tomatoes. Sprinkle on the remaining tsp of za'aatar and roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Push the tomatoes to one side and add the chickpeas. Swirl around on the hot tray to coat in any juices and roast for another minute to warm the chickpeas up.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a large bowl and whisk.
- Add the chickpeas and stir so they absorb some of the dressing.
- Divide the barley between two bowls. Add the aubergines and tomatoes, then spoon on the chickpeas with any remaining dressing.
I’m sending this barley bowl off to Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays.