Barley Lentil Dinner with Walnut Gremolata and Roasted Tomatoes
This barley lentil dinner is a simple recipe made somewhat sophisticated by the addition of walnut gremolata and roasted tomatoes on the vine. It’s also very garlicky. If you love garlic as much as we do, this is a very fine thing.
We’ve been growing our own garlic now for fifteen years. We’ve kept the same variety going all that time and I’m very proud of it. Our garlic produces plump flavoursome cloves and we grow enough to last us all year. Now we’ve moved I’m a bit concerned that we might lose it. The end of October or beginning of November is the time for planting garlic, but we don’t have the garden in any kind of state to do it yet. Eek!
I’ve been meaning to try gremolata for many years, but it wasn’t until recently I finally got around to it. Gremolata is a fresh and zesty Italian finale to a dish and adds that extra bit of pizazz that’s sometimes needed. Classically, it’s made with parsley, garlic and lemon zest all finely chopped and mixed together. Here, I’ve added some chopped roasted walnuts, just because I had a surplus of walnuts. But wow, they were a good addition.
Barley Lentil Dinner
Simple rustic recipes or peasant dishes are probably my favourite type of cuisine. They are generally seasonal, use basic ingredients and can taste exquisite. I don’t promise this barley lentil dinner will be the best thing you’ve ever eaten, but it’s simple to prepare, nutritious and tasty. The lentils are dressed with little more than olive oil and lemon juice and then served with barley. I’ve included a carrot here, just because I had one floating around that looked as though it needed eating. But it was a good addition.
Adding roasted tomatoes gives colour and makes the flavour profile more interesting. An Italian flourish of walnut gremolata makes the whole dish more sophisticated and complex. This barley lentil dinner also has the advantage of being dairy-free and thus vegan.
Other Barley Recipes You Might Like
- Barley bowl with spiced aubergine, chickpeas and tomatoes via Tin and Thyme
- Pearl barley risotto with butternut squash via Supper in the Suburbs
- Roasted vegetable and barley salad with creamy tahini dressing via Family, Friends, Food
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this barley lentil dinner recipe, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.
Barley Lentil Dinner. PIN IT.
Barley Lentil Dinner – The Recipe
Barley Lentil Dinner
- 100 g Barley - cooked in water
- 100 g whole green lentils
- 1 carrot - julienned
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- glug of olive oil x 2
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2-4 drops of hot chilli sauce
- 10 to matoes on the vine
- pinch of sea salt
- 30 g walnuts - toasted and finely chopped
- small bunch parsley - finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 organic lemon - zested
- Soak the lentils overnight and wash well.
- Rinse the barley then cover with double the volume of water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until tender. Check the water towards the end of cooking time to ensure the barley doesn't burn.
- Place the lentils in a covered pan with the bay leaf and just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes or until just tender. Check the water towards the end of cooking time to ensure the lentils don't burn.
- After 10 minutes or so, add the carrots and garlic.
- Meanwhile roast the tomatoes in a little olive with the sea salt at 200C for about 10 minutes.
- Stir a little olive oil, the lemon juice, tamari and chilli sauce into the lentils just before serving.
- Serve the lentils on top of the barley together with the tomatoes.
- Combine all the gremolata ingredients then scatter over the top.
I’m sharing my barley lentil dinner with #CookBlogShare over at Everyday Healthy Recipes.