Spiced Courgette Fritters – Simple & Delicious
When a friend kindly left me a multitude of courgettes on my doorstep the other day, I was delighted. Not only were they freshly picked, but they were small, multi-coloured and pretty. My friend was equally delighted, she can’t give them away fast enough. Any number of recipes have been developed to make the most of this seasonal abundance. When I consulted Twitter, the oracle spoke: spiced courgette fritters it was.
What To Make with Homegrown Courgettes
As I may have mentioned already, we’re really behind with the plot this year and didn’t manage to plant as much as we hoped. What we did plant was very late. So although we have courgettes coming (I hope), they aren’t going to be ready for picking any time soon. I’ve had plenty of courgette gluts in the past and many of them end up as soup – they do make a very tasty soup. I’ve also made any number of courgette cakes and other bakes. Here are all the courgette recipes on Tin and Thyme.
Spiced courgette fritters are another excellent standby. They’re packed full of flavour and nutrients. They’re crisp on the outside, soft in the middle and utterly delicious. Eat them warm for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, depending on mood.
This time we had them for breakfast, with enough left over for supper. They reheat in the oven quite effectively. We ate ours with some plain yoghurt dolloped on top. Accompany them with a variety of salads, however and you have something a lot more substantial.
Spiced Courgette Fritters – The Recipe
Spicy Courgette Fritters
- 2 smallish courgettes - grated
- 2 spring onions - sliced
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- small bunch parsley - chopped
- 1 large egg (I used a duck egg)
- 2 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baharat (or other Middle Eastern spice mix of choice)
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Beat the egg with the flour, salt and seasoning in a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients,
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and dollop tablespoonfuls of the mixture into rough rounds in the pan.
- Fry over a low to medium heat for about 4 minutes when they should be crisp and golden. Flip over and fry for a further 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
Eggs for breakfast was Dom’s dictate for this month’s Simply Eggcellent. So, he’s getting these spiced courgette fritters over at Belleau Kitchen.
It’s been a long time since I participated in Breakfast Club, but these spicy fritters give me the perfect opportunity. Hosted by Sarah over at Maison Cupcake.
These also go to Ren Behan for Simple and in Season – there’s a perfect glut of courgettes now.
Other courgette recipes to help use up your glut
(if you’re lucky enough to have one)
- Bulgar stuffed courgettes with pine nuts – Family Friends Food
- Chocolate, chilli, courgette and cinnamon cupcakes – Tin and Thyme
- Courgette and feta bake – Supper in the Suberbs
- Chocolate courgette squares – Tin and Thyme
- Courgette buns – It’s Not Easy Being Greedy
- Courgetti with avocado and feta sauce – Celery & Cupcakes
- Creamy courgette puff pastry tart – Family Friends Food
- Light melon and zucchini carpaccio salad – The Petite Cook
- Courgette soup – Fab Food 4 All
- Minted asparagus and courgette summer tart – They Call It The Diamond Blog
- Stuffed zucchini with Turkish couscous salad – The Petite Cook
- Vegan chocolate courgette cupcakes – Tin and Thyme
Keep in Touch
Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these spiced courgette fritters, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.