Courgette and Chickpea Pancakes with Mango and Cucumber Chutney
The courgettes, otherwise known as zucchini, continue to flourish in the way only courgettes know how to. Having enjoyed the spiced courgette fritters I made recently and with plenty more courgettes developing, I couldn’t resist this chickpea pancake version when I spotted it in the February 2005 issue of Delicious.
These made a substantial one pancake meal and yet retained an appealing lightness making them ideal summer fare. Gluten free fans, please note, there’s no wheat in these and the chickpea flour, also known as gram flour, is more than a mere substitute. Chickpea pancakes, otherwise known as socca are a common street food in the south of France. This is my version and it scored well. The mango salsa enlivened the pancakes with a hot and fruity kick – goal!
- 2 medium courgettes
- 180 g chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground roasted cumin
- 1 tsp kalonji seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large egg (I used a duck egg)
- 300 ml water
- 4 spring onions
- 1 small chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of parsley - chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Yoghurt to serve
- 1 ripe mango - peeled , stoned and diced
- 10 cm chunk of cucumber - diced
- handful of chives - chopped
- 1 small red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
- small handful of parsley (or coriander) - chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/4 tsp ground roasted cumin
- Grate the courgettes and leave in a colander or sieve to drain of some of the liquid, for 30 minutes or so.
- Prepare and mix all the salsa ingredients together and season with salt if desired.
- Place the chickpea flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices, salt and pepper into a large bowl and whisk to mix.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg. Start to whisk this in gradually adding the water until all is incorporated.
- Stir in the courgettes, onions, chilli, parsley and oil.
- Heat a 20 cm non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat and grease with a little oil.
- Spoon a quarter of the mixture into the pan and flatten out into a large pancake.
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes until set then flip over and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Keep warm in a low oven and repeat the process three more times.
- Serve with the mango salsa and yoghurt.
Adapted from Brian Glover's recipe in Delicious, Feb 2005
Stuffed full of courgettes as these pancakes are, I’m sending them off to Extra Veg which is this month being hosted at Feeding Boys & a Firefighter on behalf of Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy.