Made in Mexico – Vegetarian Enchiladas

Mexico is, as we all know the home of chocolate. This is one, among many reasons for my love of Mexican food. So when I was sent a selection of Mexican ingredients to try from MexGrocer, I got quite excited. And what better way to express my excitement than by adapting the accompanying recipe and creating some vegetarian enchiladas using the chocolate mole sauce – something I’ve never made before.

As the name suggests, MexGrocer is an online purveyor of authentic Mexican ingredients. This is what I received:
  • Jar of chocolate mole sauce
  • Tin of black beans
  • Tin of pickled jalapeno chillies
  • Tin of serranos chillies
  • Pack of ten corn tortillas

All but one of the products gave good results. The corn tortillas were smaller than I was expecting, but were nice and soft when warmed and had really good texture and flavour. The tin of pickled jalapenos was really interesting. Not only were they much hotter than I was expecting but contained pieces of pickled carrots and onions too. The black turtle beans were very welcome as they are a particular favourite of mine.

This is how I made:

Vegetarian Enchiladas with Chocolate Mole

• Enchilada FillingDrained a 560g tin of black turtle beans (in salted water) into a bowl.
  • Added 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic.
  • Squeezed in the juice of 1 lime. Mixed and left to marinade.
  • Chopped one small onion and fried in a tbsp of sunflower oil for a couple of minutes on moderate heat.
  • Chopped 1 large orange pepper and added to the onion, turning down the heat a little. Fried for a further 5 minutes.
  • Added 2 tbsp frozen sweetcorn and fried for a further two minutes.
  • Added ½ red chilli – seeds removed and finely chopped.
  • Added 2 large jalapeno chillies – sliced.
  • Added ½ teaspoon ground cumin. Mixed it in and fried for a further two minutes. Turned off the heat.
  • Emptied a 235g jar chocolate mole into a large ovenproof dish. This was meant to be poured in with some being kept back to pour over the top, but it was way too thick to be able to do this and I was hoping it would soften in the oven and become more sauce like).
  • Heated a frying pan and added a tsp of sunflower oil.
  • Warmed the tortillas to soften them, one by one in the pan over low heat for a couple of minutes.
  • Placed a spoonful of the bean mixture onto the middle of each tortilla followed by a spoonful of the pepper mixture. Folded the ends in to form a roll and placed in the dish on top of the mole, packing them all in tightly.
  • Covered the top with 4 oz cheddar cheese and baked in the oven at 180°C for 25 minutes.
  • Scattered some chopped parsley over the top and served.
Ay ay ay! The chocolate mole sauce was really unpleasant with a horrible bitter, burnt caramel taste. It was also virtually solid, so impossible to pour and difficult to use. I don’t know if there was something wrong with this particular jar or if that is how it is meant to be – seems unlikely. In order to rescue the meal, we had to scrape it off the enchiladas.

Mexican Black Bean Enchiladas
The enchiladas sin mole were delicious and had the sauce been a nice one, they would have been even better. I will be making this recipe again as it is a good one; all I need to do next time is make my own mole.

Update 9 August 2013 – apparently the mole was meant to be watered down, best with orange juice or apple vinegar apparently. I am being sent another one to try and will update this post when I’ve done so.

I am entering this into Lets Cook with Cheese. Hosted by Simply Food, this event is about cooking any vegetarian dish which uses cheese.

As black beans take a starring role in this recipe, I am entering it into My Legume Love Affair (MLLA) hosted this month by Cooking with Siri. MLLA was started by The Well Seasoned Cook and is now organised by Lisa’s Kitchen.

I am also entering this into Flavours of Mexico from Simply Food but this month hosted by Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey.

1. Debs Dust Bunny

8th August 2013 at 8:40 am

Absolutely delicious! I love Mexican food.

2. hungryhinny.com

8th August 2013 at 10:01 am

The actual enchiladas look great, shame the sauce was so bad!! I’ve never actually tried a proper mole sauce (despite spending 5 weeks in Mexico!) but I always add a square of dark chocolate when making chilli and it makes a huge difference, so I can see how in principle it should work really well…

8th August 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh wow Nat, five weeks in Mexico! That’s a proper amount of time to get a feel for a place. Did you enjoy it. I’d love to go. I don’t know what was wrong with the sauce. I can’t believe it was meant to taste like that. But I’ve been meaning to make a mole with chocolate for a long time now, so I will make this again.

3. belleau kitchen

8th August 2013 at 10:13 am

shame about the sauce, I have eaten chocolate mole before and it was stunning, maybe it was a transport thing… the enchiladas looks incredible, I do love mexican food!… and thank god for them for inventing chocolate!

8th August 2013 at 10:17 am

what a shame – I love enchiladas but have never made a mole sauce for them – or had a jarred mole sauce either. My experience of mole is making chilli no carne with chocolate as part of the sauce (which was delicious). Now I am wondering about making a mole sauce – will be interested if you find a good recipe

5. Janice Pattie

8th August 2013 at 11:51 am

How galling for you that it was the chocolate that wasn’t good! I’m another fan of mexican food and the enchiladas look great.

6. Alida

8th August 2013 at 4:06 pm

I am mouthwatering. This is an excellent dish. I am a big fun of Enchiladas. Mexican food is one of my favourites after Italian.. of course 🙂

7. Nazima, Franglais Kitchen

9th August 2013 at 8:20 am

Gorgeous looking enchiladas. I too love Mexican food. I have not tried mole sauce, shame your pot did not turn out well . what did the company say? anyhow a great recipe and encourages me to try cooking more than just burritos at home cx

8. Nayna Kanabar

9th August 2013 at 7:44 pm

OMG simply gorgeous. Lovely dish and with chocolate too!!!Thankyou for sending the entry to Lets cook with cheese event please do send it to Flavours of Mexico too event details at simply.food

9. kumars kitchen

10th August 2013 at 6:02 am

scrumptious enchiladas…we adore Mexican cuisine and enchiladas were the first thing Mexican we ever had…yumm 🙂

10. Jagruti

11th August 2013 at 4:26 pm

Awesome…tempting ! Thank you for linking it to my event

11. Maggie Osborn

25th October 2013 at 8:41 am

Looks gorgeous; lovely to see exciting vegetarian recipes 🙂

12. Maya Russell

18th November 2013 at 11:12 am

I think the cheese on top and parsley make them look so appealing.

13. Spicy Black Turtle Bean Burgers - Fab Food 4 All