Bagels and Chocolate Spread

Bread & Buns | 3rd May 2013 | By

It is very hard to beat a good bagel; it’s even harder to find a good bagel. Having been on my list of things to try for many years, I finally got spurred into action by A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate, who put a picture on Facebook and stated they really weren’t that hard. And she was absolutely right, they really aren’t that hard to make. The difficulty comes in forming them into a good bagel shape, but I guess that might come with practice. As Dan’s recipe in Short and Sweet was titled simple bagels*, that is the one I went for. I made a few changes of course. I used fresh yeast (1oz), only 1 tsp salt, substituted 100g of the flour for wholemeal and used a wooden spoon rather than a finger to make the hole in the middle.

I was just a little bit chuffed with the result. Not perfect in shape by any means, but they tasted fantastic and were much closer to the taste and texture of the bagels I’ve eaten both in New York and California.

As I said before, bagels are wonderful things and they lend themselves well to both savoury and sweet toppings. I have never, until now though tried them with chocolate spread. I tried one half with Atkins and Potts milk chocolate spread and the other half with the dark chocolate and gosh they were good! So now I realise there is only one thing for it, I must make my own chocolate spread.

This must have hit the zeitgeist, because I’ve never had so many comments on a Facebook post as these bagels generated.

* The recipe I’ve linked to is different from the book in terms of quantities and I prefer the latter which uses less sugar, salt and yeast.

As I’ve had my eye on Dan’s recipe for a very long time, I am submitting this to Bookmarked Recipes with Jac of Tinned Tomatoes.

1. Susan

3rd May 2013 at 8:38 am

Beautiful…I’d give them a 10.

2. belleau kitchen

3rd May 2013 at 9:33 am

simply stunning C… I’m so glad you posted these, they look like the real deal and I want one, or two, or three, now!

3. Hannah

3rd May 2013 at 9:38 am

Gorgeous looking bagels, there is nothing like homemade ones!

4. Caroline - All That I'm Eating

3rd May 2013 at 10:14 am

I am so jealous, I’ve always wanted to try making my own bagels!

5. Katie

4th May 2013 at 6:49 am

Oh my! How much I miss proper bagels. They look sensational, especially with dark chocolate ganache. Heavenly!! You did am amazing job, they look perfect

4th May 2013 at 12:19 pm

Your bagels look great – I have only made them once and keep telling myself it is not that hard to make them again but still I don’t. It is a shame as the home made ones are so much better than a lot around that taste like bread rolls with a hole in them. Look forward to seeing your chocolate spread creation

7. Caroline

5th May 2013 at 11:39 am

They look great – it’s been far too long since I last made bagels – I’ll have to add them to the to-do list again ASAP. Love the idea of spreading them with chocolate spread. I have to confess that I am rather partial to the choccy philly spread on bread (with apologies for lowering the tone ;-))