Lime Biscuits With Optional Chocolate Chips

Stack of Homemade Lime Biscuits

Biscuits | 17th March 2013 | By

If you like the flavour of lime, you’ll love these lime biscuits. They’re crisp rather than chewy and wow, you can taste that lime. Chocolate chips are an optional extra, but they work quite nicely.

A while back, I won a book voucher from the wonderful Dom over at Belleau Kitchen. It took me a while to make a decision, but I finally bought a copy of Delia’s Cakes. It’s a rather sober choice for me, but I’ve never really had any dealings with Delia, so I thought I’d give her book a try.

It’s very nicely laid out with cool pastel colours (also not my usual style) and clear, rather plain photographs. She also gives instructions as to which part of the oven to place the bakes in. This is an essential but often overlooked part of baking, but rarely do recipe books mention it – big bonus point.

Lime Drizzle Cake

There are lots of recipes I’m keen to try but I started out with one fairly standard recipe and one that was a little more unusual. Both were citrus recipes and as I still have several limes to use up I made a citrussy swap.

Lime Drizzle Cake

The Cow Lady and Gingham Chicken were hosting a cake and coffee morning for Red Nose Day at their shop Jelly Pebbles. I was unable to attend (chocolate course!), but did manage to get a cake baked for the occasion. Lemon drizzle always seems to go down well and I thought Delia was bound to have a recipe for this classic which I wanted to convert into a lime drizzle. She did and so I did.

Chocolate Lime Biscuits

A couple of friends were acting in an am-dram production of Calendar Girls so I thought they might like a box of biscuits as a nice post performance pick-me-up. Again I turned to my new book and spotted a recipe for chocolate orange biscuits that Delia seemed quite keen on. With all my recent chocolate and lime experience, chocolate key lime pie, ginger and lime cake, lime and coconut loaf I couldn’t see why the combination wouldn’t work in biscuit form.

Lime Biscuits With Optional Chocolate Chips

The flavour of the biscuits was just what I was hoping for. The lime was present, but not in the least overpowering and it complimented the chocolate nicely. Sadly, the rest didn’t go so well – the biscuits spread in the manner of pancakes and ended up about 2 mm in thickness rather than the desired 1 cm. As a result they were overdone. Even those I cooked for ten minutes were crisper than were comfortable to eat.

So as these biscuits have a habit of spreading, it’s a good idea to leave them in a cool place to firm up for thirty minutes or so before you pop them into the oven.

I took the best of the bunch, placed them carefully in a box, tied them up with ribbons and hoped for the best. Whether they were just being polite or trying out their acting skills, I’m not sure, but our friends expressed their appreciation in very positive terms – darling they were simply marvellous 😉

Chocolate Lime Biscuits boxed up for a gift.

I didn’t get to try the lime drizzle loaf. But I reckoned that the absence of cake at the end of the day is usually a good sign.

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. I’d like to wish a Happy St Patrick’s Day to all Irish readers as I’ve just noticed today’s date. If you make these lime biscuits, with or without the chocolate chips, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Lime Biscuits – The Recipe

Chocolate Lime Biscuits
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Lime Biscuits with Optional Chocolate Chips

If you like the flavour of lime, you'll love these biscuits. They're crisp rather than chewy and wow, you can taste that lime. Chocolate chips are an optional extra, but they work quite nicely.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time42 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: biscuits, chocolate, cookies, lime
Servings: 30 biscuits
Calories: 97kcal

• 125 g unsalted butter - softened
  • 175 g golden caster sugar
  • 3 limes - zest
  • 225 g flour (half wholemeal and half plain white)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 75 g 70% dark chocolate - chopped (optional)

• Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
  • Grate in the lime zest and cream some more.
  • Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir together - the mixture is a little stiff, but persevere.
  • Squeeze in the juice of half a lime (about 1 tbsp) and stir.
  • Mix in the chocolate, if using.
  • Bring the mixture together with your hands and roll out on a floured surface to about 1 cm in thickness.
  • Cut out circles or heart shapes. Re-roll the trimmings and repeat the process, creating about 30 biscuits in total.
  • Bake on a lined baking sheet in the middle of the oven, one batch at a time, at 180℃ (350℉, Gas 4) for 10 to 15 minutes. The biscuits should be golden and crisp around the edges, but not too brown
  • Leave to firm up for a couple of minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Dust the tops with caster sugar and leave to cool.

Notes

These biscuits have a habit of spreading, so it's a good idea to leave them in a cool place to firm up for thirty minutes or so before you pop them into the oven.
Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 60mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 107IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg

Sharing

I was trying to use up the last of my limes before they went off. So I’m entering these chocolate lime biscuits into Credit Crunch Munch, which hosted by Camilla of Fab Food for All.

Tags:

1. belleau kitchen

17th March 2013 at 9:11 am

well, i’m glad I could help with the book but a shame the biscuits spread so much. I made biscuits the other day that just wouldn’t work so I left the mixture in the bowl in the fridge and the next day they came together really well and didn’t spread when I baked them… very odd… love the idea of the taste though, chocolate limes were always a favourite as a kid… the lemon drizzle cake looks superb too! x

17th March 2013 at 2:11 pm

Well I do know, putting them in the fridge is what you are meant to do to stop them spreading, but dear Delia mentioned nothing about this particular trick. So a) I thought I’d trust her and b) I needed those biscuits in a hurry.

2. belleau kitchen

17th March 2013 at 9:11 am

oh, like the new header too!

17th March 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Dom – it’s only taken me 4 years to work out how to do it!

3. Susie @ Fold in the Flour

17th March 2013 at 9:16 am

I’ve just started dallying with Delia’s book, too. Only made one recipe so far, but it worked well. The lime and chocolate biscuits sound great, as does the idea of lime drizzle. 🙂

17th March 2013 at 2:13 pm

Oh, what did you make Susie?

17th March 2013 at 1:00 pm

Great pic on the new header – and the biscuits sound like something I would have loved if I was ever brave enough to get up on stage – sorry to hear they weren’t as you expected – I made savoury bikkies this weekend and did some to crispy and others that were more bready and the softer ones seemed to have more flavour – so I wonder if this altered the flavour or not.

17th March 2013 at 2:16 pm

Thanks Johanna – I’ve had the photo for a very long time but couldn’t work out how to get it up. Really pleased to have finally managed it. Savour biscuits are wonderful too – just what I need in fact when indulging in too much chocolate. I’m sure the amount of cooking will affect the flavour. Chocolate gets scorched and sugar turns to caramel.

5. Jacqueline Meldrum

17th March 2013 at 3:34 pm

A great combination, reminds me of chocolate lime sweeties. I am bookmarking this one.

17th March 2013 at 4:27 pm

Yes, I was thinking of those as I made them Jac. I wonder if they are still around.

6. Laura Loves Cakes

17th March 2013 at 4:30 pm

I’ve been thinking about getting the Delia Cakes book and you may have inspired me to go ahead and buy! These are lovely biscuits and I like your substitution of lime…something a bit out of the norm! 🙂 Don’t know whether it would help in this instance but sometimes to stop biscuits spreading it can help to put the baking tray in the fridge for a while, with the cut biscuits on, to firm up before baking?

7. The Caked Crusader

17th March 2013 at 5:10 pm

I bought that book and really like its no nonsense approach – I don’t want artfully blurred pics of a chef…I want the bakes! Your biscuits look lovely – chocolate and lime is not a combo I’ve baked with

8. Jen Price

17th March 2013 at 6:47 pm

This sounds like a very tasty combination but don’t think it’s one I’ve tried before, something else to add to my mental list. Shame some of them didn’t turn out quite right, I seem to be a bit hit and miss with biscuits sometimes either because I roll them out a bit too thin or I lose track of the time and get a couple of crispy ones. I also tend to skip the fridge resting stage a lot of the time as well as I’m impatient!

9. Caroline

17th March 2013 at 7:19 pm

Chocolate and lime sounds like a good combination for a biscuit. I had a quick flick through the Delia book and only spotted one recipe that I really wanted to make and haven’t seen in any of her other books, I think it was a chocolate loaf with fudge topping or something in that vein (my memory is rubbish!) and it did look good, but I’m not buying the book for one recipe! I hope you get to make lots more out of it though.

10. celia

17th March 2013 at 8:08 pm

I always have problems with roll and cut cookies! I do much better with a sliced log, although then you wouldn’t have had such pretty heart shapes. It sounds like a lovely combination of flavours!

11. Alida

17th March 2013 at 10:55 pm

Interesting combination Choclette. This is a very nice biscuit and very romantic heart shaped 😉

12. vohnblog

17th March 2013 at 11:59 pm

I love the idea of chocolate lime biscuits as the sweets are a favourite of mine. I don’t particularly like orange but for some reason hadn’t thought to swap it for lime. I’m looking forward to making these. Vohn

13. scrambled megs

18th March 2013 at 6:08 am

so lovely and would make a great and interesting gift. good combo x

14. Katie

18th March 2013 at 6:44 am

What a lovely gift for your friend and a delicious combination. Love your new header!

15. Camilla @FabFood4All

18th March 2013 at 9:31 am

This flavour combination sounds lovely. I’ve been making a similar biscuit with orange peel, no juice and no chocolate for years and recently adapted them for Christmas as Clementine cookies. They are so very easy to burn and I bake mine for 7 -10 minutes having learned by my mistakes many years ago. Thank you for flagging up this flavour combo which I must try and a fab entry to Credit Crunch Munch:-) You can’t beat a Lemon Drizzle Cake either and yours looked scrummy!

16. Kath

18th March 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love your new header – very eye catching. x

17. Shelley Jessup

18th March 2013 at 5:46 pm

I like the sound of these as they combined two of my favourites tastes chocolate & lime.

18. Shu Han

18th March 2013 at 7:56 pm

“but the absence of cake at the end of the day is usually a good sign.” lol. sounds like a gorgeous one!

19. Christian Halfmann

19th March 2013 at 6:43 pm

Oh, what happened here? Well, it looks luvly!

20. mekristopher

20th March 2013 at 7:39 am

I made some for my coworkers and they loved them. Only change was to add a bit more flour. These had the perfect amount of lime flavor.

21. Dee Johnson

2nd April 2013 at 7:59 pm

I love chocolate limes so I will probably love these. Should i make them because if i do i will probably eat them all myself.

22. David Price

6th April 2013 at 6:57 am

What an unusual but intriguing recipe! Like to try it soon.

23. Amie

25th March 2014 at 6:45 pm

Love the sound of this- chocolate and lime.