Violet and Rose White Chocolate Fairy Cakes – World Baking Day
|Violet and Rose Fairy Cakes|
If you like baking or just like eating home baked goodies, then World Baking Day is for you. This year it falls on Sunday the 19th of May. As a World Baking Day ambassador, I was sent a pretty pastel Cath Kidston cake stand and cupcake case set to showcase a recipe or two. I already had a cake planned for Mother’s Day, but still wanted to bake something pretty, floral and spring like to grace my new cake stand.
A while ago, I won a bottle of violet & rose liqueur at a raffle and I’ve been waiting for just such an occasion as this to do something with it. To be honest, it tastes a bit like medicine on its own, but added to a cake it gives an exotic perfumed flavour of Parma violets and rose.
This is how I made:
Violet and Rose White Chocolate Fairy Cakes
- Melted 60g good quality white chocolate with vanilla over a pan of hot water and left to cool slightly.
- Creamed 150g Stork margarine with 150g caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Added the white chocolate and creamed some more.
- Beat in two duck eggs one at a time (large hens eggs would be fine).
- Sifted in 150g plain flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and stirred gently in.
- Added 2 tbsp violet and rose liqueur and stirred gently until just combined.
- Spooned into 12 fairy cakes cases and six mini cases, filling to about 3/4 of the way up.
- Baked at 180C for 20 minutes, then left on a wire rack to cool.
- Melted 40g good quality white chocolate with vanilla over a pan of hot water and left to cool slightly.
- Creamed 50g Stork margarine with 130g icing sugar.
- Beat in the chocolate.
- Beat in 2 tbsp violet and rose liqueur.
- Spread over the cooled cakes and topped with crystallised violets.