Chocolate Chip Mousse Swirled with White Chocolate

Chocolate Chip Mousse swirled with white chocolate.

Dessert | 13th July 2011 | By

Luxurious chocolate chip mousse made with raw eggs, sugar, cream and chocolate. The chocolate chips give it an interesting, but pleasant texture and it’s not overly sweet. Perfect for dinner parties and entertaining.

After having failed in my attempts to persuade Green & Black’s to give me a copy of their new chocolate cookbook, Ultimate, to review, I took the hump and refused to buy it. Luckily, CT realised the error of my ways and bought it for me for my birthday. As I’ve only had it a few days, it’s my current favourite chocolate cookbook and sits in pride of place on my bedside table.

Random Recipes

So, with Dom’s Random Recipes challenge this month to draw something from your favourite cookbook, this is the one it had to be. CT did the usual honours, closed his eyes and opened the book at Marbled Mousse. Oh no, mousse!

Although I love the taste and texture of mousse, I’m always rather wary of making it due to the raw eggs. Hey ho, it’s what Dom had decreed; so despite a temptation to cheat and get CT to alight on a different recipe, my Honest John persona came to the fore. Dom, please note my halo here! As there were only two of us, I halved the quantities given in the recipe.

Chocolate Chip Mousse

The original recipe is for a marbled mousse. In other words a white chocolate mousse and a dark chocolate one swirled together. This sounds nice, but is quite hard to achieve. When the melted chocolate hits the cold cream mixture, the chocolate starts to reform. So chocolate chip mousse it is.

Despite my qualms about raw eggs, the mousse tasted fantastic. In fact I’d completely forgotten I’d even been worried. It tasted so good.

It had a real air of luxury about it. Not too sweet and with an unexpected (and unintended!) but perfectly pleasant texture. It’s perhaps not the airiest of mousses due to the double cream, but it’s much lighter than say a fool or even a syllabub.

The amount given in the recipe will easily fill four modest wine glasses. I foolishly spooned it into three large glasses. This was a mistake. On reflection, four glasses would’ve been a better bet and stopped us being so greedy. The chocolate chip mousse would have lasted us two days. As it was, once we’d polished off a glass each, there didn’t seem much point hanging on to just one lone pudding. We both discovered we were scraping our spoons around the glass to get the last vestiges into our mouths. That must surely be a good sign.

Troubleshooting White Chocolate

If you have trouble melting the white chocolate, then once you’ve whisked the yolks and sugar, remove half of the mixture and whisk in the soft chocolate to the remainder. You’ll then need to divide the cream and egg whites and add it separately to the white chocolate mixture.

Is it just me or is it Green & Black’s white chocolate that refuses to melt properly? It goes soft, but never seems to actually melt.

Washing up Warning

If you are not into washing up, this is not a dessert to take on lightly. I used five bowls to make this mousse, six if you include the one on my scales and a saucepan. The process would have been somewhat simpler if the white chocolate had melted as I wouldn’t have needed to divide the mixture until after I’d added the cream and egg whites.

The good news is, the mousse can be made in advance, if you’re entertaining. It will keep in the fridge for 24 hours.

Other Chocolate Desserts You Might Like

Stay in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you try this recipe for chocolate chip mousse swirled with white chocolate, I’d love to hear how you got on in the comments below. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For further delicious and nutritious recipes follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Chocolate Chip Mousse – The Recipe

Chocolate Chip Mousse swirled with white chocolate.
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Chocolate Chip Mousse Swirled With White Chocolate

A luxurious mousse made with eggs, sugar, cream and chocolate. Two mixtures, one made with white chocolate and one with dark are swirled together. Perfect for dinner parties and entertaining.
Prep Time45 mins
Total Time45 mins
Course: Dessert
Cuisine: British
Keyword: chocolate, chocolate mousse
Servings: 4 people

• 65 g dark chocolate (I used 85%)
  • 50 g white chocolate
  • 2 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
  • 40 g golden caster sugar
  • 200 g double cream

• Melt the dark chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot, but not boiling, water. Leave to cool a little.
  • Melt the white chocolate in a similar way and leave to cool a little.
  • Whisk the egg yolks and sugar with electric beaters for about 5 minutes until thick, pale and tripled in volume.
  • Whisk the cream until thick, but be careful not to overdo it.
  • With clean beaters, whisk the two leftover whites until stiff.
  • Fold the cream into the egg yolkd mixture, followed by the egg white.
  • Divide the mixture into two. Fold the white chocolate into one half and the dark chocolate into the other. The dark chocolate will start to reform as it hits the cold mousse, giving you tiny chocolate chips.
  • Lightly swirl the two mousses together and spoon into four glasses.
  • Decorate with dark chocolate shavings if desired.

Notes

If you have trouble melting the white chocolate, then once you've whisked the yolks and sugar, remove half of the mixture and whisk in the soft chocolate to the remainder. Green & Black's never seems to work for me. It goes soft, but doesn't actually melt.
You'll then need to divide the cream and egg whites and add it separately to the white chocolate mixture.

1. Ruth

13th July 2011 at 7:15 am

This does indeed look very very good! I’ve bookmarked the recipe!

2. manu

13th July 2011 at 6:23 am

This is so yoummy! I love the pic, my mouth is watering . . . Have a nice day

3. Kate@katescakesandbakes

13th July 2011 at 6:41 am

Your halo is super shiny and I’m v v impressed- I think I’d have been too nervous to try such a magnificent dessert! It looks fabulous!

4. Susan's blog

13th July 2011 at 7:03 am

That looks very very good…worth the 5 bowl washing up I would say. x

5. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

13th July 2011 at 7:38 am

well, I can quite literally see your halo shining from over the Lincolnshire Wolds!… sort of… I mean COME ON… this is mousse for goodness sake, food of the gods surely?… anyway, it looks really really good and I thank you from the bottom of my dirty halo for taking part in this months challenge! xx

6. Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

13th July 2011 at 10:57 am

Well, I hope you have a kitchen porter for all that washing up!!!
    I wouldn’t have halved it – if you are going to make all that mess, I would have wanted several portions. 🙂
    Looks lovely!

7. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)

13th July 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love chocolate mousse so much – what a delightful texture it has! So glad I now have a yummy recipe for it. Thanks

8. Shaheen

13th July 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’m def. not into washing up, so will admire this mousse on your blog. Shame that G&B didn’t give you the book to review, it would have been ideal after all you the first chocolate blog I ever come to for chocolatey inspiration. But its kind of CT to give it to you for your Birthday. I am guessing i’ve missed your birthday, so may I wish you a belated happy birthday.

Hope all is well in your world.

9. Dr.Sameena Prathap

13th July 2011 at 4:52 pm

wow…great looking chocolate mousse…:)

10. Foodycat

13th July 2011 at 4:19 pm

I don’t know if it is G&B chocolate that doesn’t melt properly or if it is just white chocolate – I have had that problem making blondies.

11. Phil in the Kitchen

13th July 2011 at 10:38 pm

Belated birthday greetings! I love mousse and this looks like a really good one. I’ve had some problems with melting white chocolate in the past but oddly not usually with G&B’s (although I admit I haven’t tried that brand recently).

12. Working london mummy

13th July 2011 at 11:13 pm

Looks and sounds delicious. Cant believe they did not give you a copy to review given your blogs focus (and that of your readers!!

13. Jacqueline

14th July 2011 at 8:32 am

Scraping your spoons on the bottom of the glass is always a good sign. Sounds yummy!

14th July 2011 at 9:10 pm

Great dessert, but the washing up would definitely be a put off!

15. Michelle Peters - Jones

14th July 2011 at 11:02 pm

Oooooohhhhh!!! That’s got me drooling on the keyboard! I do love mousse… raw eggs and all!

White chocolate is a pain to melt… I wasted about 3 bars trying to get it to melt properly once. Apparently the trick to to add a little bit of butter and whisk when it gets soft. I also do mine in the microwave.

15th July 2011 at 8:49 am

Happy Birthday! I don’t own a copy of this book yet but I am loving the idea (and look!) of chocolate chip mousse. Yum!

15th July 2011 at 1:10 pm

Manu – thank you. It was hard to see the marbled effect properly from the picture, but I did my best.

Kate – thank you for vote of confidence. Really though, it’s not a difficult thing to make 😉

Susan – in retrospect, I think you’re probably right 🙂

Ruth – let me know if you do make it. I’d be interested to see how yours turns out.

Dom – well, I do like to make a mountain when I can 😉

Louise – good point! Really it’s one for a dinner party. I feel happier about doing lots of clearing up if I’m going to impress friends 😉

Britanny – thank you, we really liked the texture of this, even if it wasn’t quite meant to turn out like that.

Shaheen – thank you for belated birthday wishes and good words. Yes, I think G&B were being particularly mean there, but thank you for your confidence in my blog.

FoodyCat – could be, I’ve never tried melting other white chocolate. But if that’s the case, why don’t cookery books mention it – bah!

Dr Sameena – thank you.

Phil – so what’s your secret to melting the chocolate? Lots of people use a microwave, but I don’t have one of those. Thanks for birthday wishes.

WLM – thank you for echoing my thoughts – I couldn’t believe it either.

Jac – ha ha, it’s mostly a sign of greed in our house 😉

Janice – certainly not a dessert for every day.

Michelle – Now do be careful of that keyboard! Hadn’t realised white chocolate was such a pain. I don’t have a microwave, but have heard it works well for melting chocolate.

Chele – thanks for birthday wishes. Am guessing from the “yet” that it won’t be long before you do own a copy!

18. At Anna's kitchen table

15th July 2011 at 5:13 pm

Well done! Halo intact too!I’m impressed.

19. Maggie

15th July 2011 at 9:12 pm

I always love chocolate mousse and it sounds delicious.

20. Grazing Kate

16th July 2011 at 7:28 am

Looks yummy, but the 5 bowl warning is enough to put me off. Sometimes I do believe that recipes are unnecessarily complicated. Have recently made a couple of Jamie’s 30 minute dinners and the amount of washing up and carnage in the kitchen was unbelievable. These people obviously have staff.

21. Charishma

17th July 2011 at 10:00 am

just love this blog,its sinful

17th July 2011 at 6:40 pm

Anna – it doesn’t happen very often 😉

Maggie – yes, I’d forgotten just how good chocolate mousse is.

Kate – good point about the staff – fancy a job?

Charishma – thank you for kind comment and for following.

23. Baking Addict

28th July 2011 at 10:02 pm

i love chocolate mousse but have never attempted to make my own. The thought of washing up 5 bowls for this makes me feel less inclined to try. However, yours look so tempting, I may just be tempted to try … once.

29th July 2011 at 6:17 pm

Baking Addict – don’t let this one put you off, chocolate mousse doesn’t have to be this complicated 🙂

25. bakingteacher

30th July 2011 at 2:58 pm

This sounds lovely! I am another one who has always been reluctant to give mousse a try so I think I will have to give it a go one day!

1st August 2011 at 5:31 pm

Baking Teacher – mousse is well worth a go – honest! I’d advise a plain chocolate one to start with.

27. JaynesDen

26th April 2013 at 12:57 pm

This dessert looks so delicious. So light.