Chocolate Cherry Trifle

Dessert, Top of the Pops | 19th August 2011 | By

Having made one decedent dessert a few weeks ago, I was soon ready for another. I had cherries, I had some crème fraîche that needed using up and some egg yolks left over from the Chestnut Cream Meringue Cake I’d made. Friends from The Viewing Gallery had also just given me a jar of their wild cherry jam. Black Forest sprang to mind.

Anyway, back to those cherries. Still enamoured of my new book Ultimate, I’d just chanced on a recipe for Chocolate Cherry Trifle. Well, apart from substituting crème fraîche for whipping cream, I had all the ingredients to hand, so no excuses needed! I wanted to make the whole trifle from scratch, rather than use bought trifle sponges as suggested – I’ve never done that before. The only recipe I could find for a trifle sponge was in Pyton & Byrne and I made 2/3 of the quantity specified. I also only made 3/4 of the trifle recipe and reduced the amount of sugar used.

This is what I did:

• Beat 2 duck egg yolks with 100g caster sugar until thick and pale.
  • Folded in 100g sifted white flour (was meant to be self-raising, but I didn’t notice this until too late).
  • Whisked 2 duck eggs whites with 20g caster sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff.
  • Folded a 1/3 into the sponge mixture to loosen the mix, then folded in the remainder.
  • Spooned into a lined 20 x 30cm Swiss roll tin and baked at 180C for 13 minutes, until lightly browned and springy to the touch.
  • Turned on to a wire rack to cool.
  • Cut into 16 fingers and sandwiched together with a teaspoon of wild cherry jam.
  • Whisked together 3 egg yolks and 30g caster sugar in a bowl until well incorporated.
  • Whisked in 15g white flour.
  • Brought 275ml milk to the boil and whisked into the egg mixture.
  • Returned the whole lot to the pan and simmered for about 5 minutes whilst whisking from time to time.
  • Took off the heat and added 55g 85% dark chocolate.
  • Stirred until melted and smooth.
  • Left to cool.
  • Mix 40g slivered almonds in a bowl with 10g icing sugar and 1 dessertspoon of rum.
  • Spread out onto a lined baking tray and bake at 180c for about 6 minutes until caramelised but not burnt.
  • Leave to cool.
  • Lined the base of a glass bowl with the sponge sandwiches.
  • Spooned over 4 dessertspoons of damson liqueur (original recipe was for golden rum).
  • Halved and stoned 250g cherries.
  • Scattered these over the the sponges reserving a few for decoration.
  • Stirred 20g icing sugar into 300ml crème fraîche.
  • Folded a quarter of the cream into the chocolate custard.
  • Spooned the custard over the cherries.
  • Spooned the cream over the custard.
  • Scattered the almonds, reserved cherries and 10g grated chocolate over the top.
Black Forest Trifle

Sadly, I was rather excited by this Black Forest extravaganza. My first ever proper trifle and it was a complete success. Luckily, the self-raising flour was not needed, the sponge rose well and turned out perfectly – tasted just like a trifle sponge should. The individual ingredients held their textural integrity – not too dry and not too soggy. There was a hint of booze only and none of it was too sweet. The chocolate custard was really chocolatey and the crunchy nuts on top would take some beating. The whole was a perfect balance. As I write this CT is salivating and looking rather glum – that was really really delicious he says wistfully!

1. hungryhinny

19th August 2011 at 10:33 am

This sounds like it took a lot of effort to make!! Looks very impressive though, the perfect summery way to eat chocolate!

2. Karen S Booth

19th August 2011 at 12:22 pm

The result looks amazing ~ what a GREAT recipe and made with duck eggs too, I am impressed! A wonderful last photo, VERY pretty indeed!
    Karen

3. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

19th August 2011 at 12:42 pm

That’s an outrageous dish! How many eggs does it use altogether, I would love a shopping list at the beginning so I could see whether I could make this with what I have already at home.

4. At Anna's kitchen table

19th August 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh, that looks and sounds SO GOOD!!

5. C

19th August 2011 at 5:26 pm

Wow, fabulous! It sounds like a labour of love, but worth every moment, something really special!

6. Hanna

19th August 2011 at 6:38 pm

Yum, looks fab! I am completely won over by chocolate and cherries!

7. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

19th August 2011 at 8:35 pm

Stunning! Look at that sponge man! I love it and need it and want it now!!

8. aforkfulofspaghetti

20th August 2011 at 7:53 am

Mmmmmm…. What’s not to like? 😉 Shame I’m out of cherries now, but I can foresee a blackberry version in my near future… 🙂

9. Gloria

20th August 2011 at 5:46 pm

Look absolutely amazing!!!! gloria

10. Shaheen

20th August 2011 at 6:52 pm

I like the look of this trifle and can see it being gobbled by family members, but I just don’t like duck eggs.

20th August 2011 at 7:14 pm

HungryHinney – after the cake I’ve just seen you make, I don’t think this was any effort at all 😉

Karen – thank you. Occasionally I can pull something really good off and I think I managed it this time.

Joanna – yes, outrageous it truly is. I did think about doing the shopping list bit when I first started this blog, but knew if I tried that the blog wouldn’t last very long – it’s just feels like one thing too many and all the information is there.

Anna – it was and there were only two of us to eat it!

C – yes this should have been for a fabulous dinner party or something, but the two of us enjoyed it anyhow.

Hanna – they are such a good combination. I’ve been meaning to make sour cherry brownies for ages – one day!

Dom – it can be torture cruising these food blogs and always leaves me feeling hungry ;-0

aforkful – oh a blackberry version would be stunning – mmmmm.

Gloria – thank you.

Shaheen – you don’t have to use duck eggs. I just like them for baking. Use large hens eggs instead.

12. Baking Addict

20th August 2011 at 11:46 pm

Wow yet another fabulous creation. I don’t think I’ve ever made my own trifle – another to add to the ‘to bake’ list

21st August 2011 at 9:22 am

Can’t beat a good trifle … especially when chocolate is involved ;0)

14. MissCakeBaker

21st August 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow this is some trifle! Impressive!

21st August 2011 at 8:22 pm

I love trifle and this looks sooo good. Cherries, cake, chocolate, how can it not be good?

16. cityhippyfarmgirl

22nd August 2011 at 4:04 am

Geez Choc, I’d be excited by this too. I haven’t made a trifle for many moons and if this doesn’t make me want to hot foot it to the kitchen I don’t know what does.

24th August 2011 at 12:44 pm

oddly enough trifle doesn’t really excite me unless chocolate and cherries are involved – great effort – I would have second helpings – and the rest!

24th August 2011 at 5:28 pm

Baking Addict – this is the first time I’ve done the whole thing from scratch and it was sooooo worth it.

Chele – CT still keeps hinting he’d quite like another one :-S

MCB – thank you

Janice – I impressed myself.

CityHippy – oh do please hot foot it to the kitchen. I know you’d come up with a real cracker – sorry trifle!

Johanna – a good trifle is a wonderful thing, but I’m not keen on the jelly variety. However, I suspect Sylvia might prefer that one.

19. Hazel

28th August 2011 at 4:46 pm

CT was not the only one to salivate at this – sounds incredible with such a great selection of textures and flavours. This really sounds like a dessert for me! I have made a banoffee trifle before but this definitely sounds more interesting, mmmmm!

29th August 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hazel – Thank you. That banoffee trifle sounds worth a try too – mmmmmmm!

21. Janet Rudolph @ DyingforChocolate

22nd May 2013 at 12:29 pm

I love a great trifle, and can’t wait to make this one!

22. Judith Luscombe

4th August 2013 at 7:29 am

Think I will try this recipe at Xmas as it will be a change from sherry trifle

23. 24 Cracking Egg Recipes - Fab Food 4 All

18th March 2015 at 8:39 pm

[…] Chocolate Cherry Trifle from Tin and Thyme […]

18th March 2015 at 9:06 pm

Gosh that was quick Camilla, coming over to have a look now.