Cheese Scones made with Greek Yoghurt

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones

Food Reviews, Scones | 27th September 2010 | By

Cheese scones are one of CT’s favourite tea time treats, so I tend to make them quite a lot. I have to say I’m rather partial to them too. These ones are made with Greek yoghurt, which makes them extra light and even more delicious.

Having been lucky enough to receive a second fridge load of 0% fat and full fat TOTAL Greek yogurt, I set to with a will. I got a bowl out of the cupboard, a spoon out of the drawer and tucked in to my favourite full fat variety with no additional embellishments – it’s so creamy and delicious none were needed.

Greek Yogurt

Greek yogurt is so very versatile. As well as using the full fat yogurt to accompany curries and on my breakfast muesli, it also worked really well with beetroot.

I just mixed in boiled beetroot that was left to cool and then cut into chunks with the yogurt, a pinch of salt, some pepper and finely chopped dill.  This worked well with golden beets, but produced a bright pink concotion when using purple beets. Yum, if only my beetroot had been more successful this year, I would have eaten a lot more of it.

The only fault I have to find with this yogurt is that it isn’t organic. I can only hope this is something they will rectify in the future.

Yoghurt & Beetroot

As regular readers of my blog will know, since I received the first fridge load of this yogurt I have been a total convert to its use in baking. My cakes have never been as good. The yoghurt adds a reliable moistness and gives additional flavour, body and rise which I really value. I almost feel that something is lacking if I don’t use it now. 0% fat and full fat versions are both equally as good, although being a fat loving kind of girl, I prefer the latter.

I also made these Greek yogurt chocolate puddings with the first batch I received.

Some of the Yoghurt Cakes I’ve Made

Raspberry & White Chocolate Cupcakes

Raspberry & White Chocolate Cupcakes

Pistachio & Orange Blossom Cake

Pistachio & Orange Blossom Cake

Chocolate Birthday Cake

Chocolate Birthday Cake

Chocruetea

Chocruetea

Cheese Scones with Greek Yoghurt

One of the things I wanted to try this time was Greek yoghurt cheese scones. I blame Tinned Tomatoes for this as I recently saw some very nice looking ones there which reminded me just how good they are. These cheese scone are really light, moist and delicious. They disappeared in a trice when I served them up for tea, warm from the oven.

The scones are super quick and easy to make. You can get them on the table from start to finish in thirty minutes or under. The main thing to remember is not to over handle the dough. The less you handle it, the lighter the scones will be.

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones

For the most part I add mustard powder and a touch of cayenne pepper to my yoghurt scones. But sometimes I like to change things up a bit and I’ll add a teaspoon of my favourite chilli powder instead. At the moment that’s a Yemeni spice mix called Zhug.

Other Cheese Scones You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these Greek yoghurt cheese scone, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. Do share photos on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them.

For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Cheese Scones. PIN IT.

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones – The Recipe

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones
Print Pin
5 from 3 votes

Greek Yoghurt Cheese Scones

Quick and easy savoury scones that are made extra light and even more delicious with Greek yoghurt. They can be on the table within thirty minutes.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Afternoon Tea, Lunch, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: cheese, quick, scones, yoghurt
Servings: 8 scones
Calories: 180kcal

• 1 oz (30g) unsalted butter needs to be cold
  • 4 oz (125g) wholemeal flour
  • 4 oz (125g) plain flour
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 oz (90) cheddar cheese - grated
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt

• Rub the butter into the flour and other dry ingredients with your fingertips until the mixture resembls course breadcrumbs.
  • Stir in the cheese, then mix in the egg, yoghurt and enough water to form the mixture into a soft dough (another 1-2 tbsp).
  • Working quickly with your hands, bring the mixture together and form it into a round about ¾ inch thick. Cut out into 8 rounds.
  • Bake at 200℃ (400℉, Gas 6) for 12 to 15 mins or until the scones are golden and sound hollow when their bases are tapped.

Notes

For a spicier take on these scones, swap the mustard and cayenne for a teaspoon of your favourite chilli spice mix. Harissa, zhug and piri piri are all good.

If you don't have cream of tartar, use 2 tsp baking powder and omit the bicarbonate of soda.

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on exact ingredients used.

Nutrition

Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 251IU | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 1mg

Sharing

I’m sharing these yoghurt cheese scones with me at Tin and Thyme for #CookBlogShare.

Tags:

1. Lucie

27th September 2010 at 9:15 am

I am yet to try yoghurt in my baking, I must remedy this 🙂

2. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours

27th September 2010 at 9:01 am

Lucky you to get a second load. I wonder if they will send me some?

I am desperate to bake with it too. But am so behind on my blog that I do not need any more product to review!

3. The Cottage Garden Farmer

27th September 2010 at 3:56 pm

I agree the greek yogurt is great for eating and cooking. I like the sound of your scones! I read your post on S west bloggers meet up – I used to live in south devon know totnes well, am in wiltshire now, does that still count as south west?

27th September 2010 at 6:39 pm

Helen – it’s a bit of a double edged sword getting products to review. Fun to try something different, but a lot of time needed to do the reviews.

Lucie – would love to hear if you think it makes a difference.

Cottage Garden – scones were delicious, I must make them more often. Lucky you living near Totnes – I love that part of Devon. I’m sure there would be no problem with you attending a meet up if we ever have another one and if you are interested. Would love to hear more about your smallholding adventures. Officially we have defined our South West Group as Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset, but here is the link to the facebook page so you could keep up to date by following that (or whatever you do on Facebook – I’m still learning the ropes). https://www.facebook.com/groups/swfoodanddrinkbloggernetwork

5. Ananda Rajashekar

27th September 2010 at 7:31 pm

May be its time for me to use some yogurt in baking!

6. Celia

27th September 2010 at 8:09 pm

Cheese scones! It’s 6am, but I’ve just figured out what I want for breakfast.. 🙂

28th September 2010 at 3:09 pm

Ananda – yogurt is great in baking

Celia – and did you make scones for breakfast? Nice idea.

28th September 2010 at 6:13 pm

If you keep this up Mrs I’m going to have to ask for a second bacth to be sent to me too – those scones look very tasty and would be great with the pot of soup I have on the stove.

9. cityhippyfarmgirl

29th September 2010 at 3:20 am

I love full fat yoghurt in just about everything. Its a handy little number and I’m with you makes a cake that bit better.

29th September 2010 at 6:20 am

Chele – you can never have too much yogurt – it keeps for ages too.

CityHippy – glad to hear I’m not just dreaming the effect up.

11. Northern Snippet

29th September 2010 at 8:33 am

Those cakes look delicious ,how do they keep with yoghurt in them?

12. zebbakes

29th September 2010 at 11:58 pm

I want to go on about how easy it is to make your own yoghurt, but you know that I will say that. I’ve been doing it for a few months now and much prefer the home made stuff, you have so much control over what goes in it too. A lot easier than bread or cake making too!

30th September 2010 at 5:42 am

Northern Snippet – not many of these cakes have been tested for longevity, but I did make a couple of them just for the two of us and they both lasted really well and tasted just as good on day 5 as on day 1.

Zeb – I do agree with you that homemade yogurt is the best and as you know we do make our own keffir (or CT does anyway). But when you’re working there is only so much you can do yourself.

14. Foodycat

3rd October 2010 at 3:38 pm

I got a huge amount as well. I’ve only made one cake with it so far!

3rd October 2010 at 8:55 pm

Foddycat – But you got some honey yogurt. Sounds like a nice thing to try, even if it was too sweet.

16. JaynesDen

8th February 2013 at 11:40 am

My favourite yoghurt. I will have to try some of these recipes !

8th February 2013 at 2:16 pm

It is a good one, I use it a lot. Do let me know how it goes if you ever do make any of these.

17. anthony harrington

23rd February 2013 at 12:26 pm

bookmarked for later!

18. mummy24

15th March 2013 at 8:22 pm

Love cheese scones – we make fruit scones a lot but never tried making cheese scones – always buy them!

19. JaynesDen

9th April 2013 at 10:51 am

These recipes look delicious especially the cheese scones.

20. jennifer jack

10th April 2013 at 10:42 pm

these look lovely would be really nice for a tea party with friends even great for childrens parties and would not cost the earth x

21. Judith Luscombe

13th August 2013 at 8:28 am

Really miss cheese scones, as cheese gives me migraine

22. Rosemary

24th April 2020 at 11:00 am

These look delicious. I love Greek yogurt and eat a lot of it (with honey) but have never used it as a baking ingredient. I imagine it has a similar effect to buttermilk and lightens the bake.

25th April 2020 at 7:48 pm

It absolutely does. I use yoghurt a lot in my baking. It’s great for cakes too. Greek yoghurt and honey is just lovely.

23. Jacqui – Recipes Made Easy:Only Crumbs Remain

26th April 2020 at 6:00 pm

These look perfect.

26th April 2020 at 8:10 pm

They’re incredibly good Jacqui, but so very moreish.

24. Chloe Cedges

27th April 2020 at 1:31 pm

Yum these look lovely and simple. I use a lot of yoghurt in cooking and baking but rarely greek. I’ll have to pick some up to try it!

27th April 2020 at 5:55 pm

I love yoghurt in baking, it’s seems to make most things better. But Greek yoghurt is even better.