Spiced Courgette Fritters
When a friend kindly left me a multitude of courgettes on my doorstep the other day, I was delighted. Not only were they freshly picked, but were small, multi-coloured and pretty. My friend was equally delighted, she can’t give them away fast enough. Any number of recipes have been developed to make the most of this seasonal abundance. When I consulted Twitter, the oracle spoke: courgette fritters it was.
As I may have mentioned already, we are really behind with the plot this year and didn’t manage to plant as much as we hoped. What we did plant was very late. So although we have courgettes coming (I hope), they aren’t going to be ready for picking any time soon. I’ve had plenty of courgette gluts in the past and many of them end up as soup – they do make a very tasty soup. I have also made any number of courgette bakes. Fritters are another excellent standby and can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner depending on mood. This time we had them for breakfast, with enough left over for supper. They reheat in the oven quite effectively. We ate ours with some plain yoghurt dolloped on top.
- 2 smallish courgettes - grated
- 2 spring onions - sliced
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- small bunch parsley - chopped
- 1 large egg (I used a duck egg)
- 2 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baharat (or other Middle Eastern spice mix of choice)
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Beat the egg with the flour, salt and seasoning in a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients,
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and dollop tablespoonfuls of the mixture into rough rounds in the pan.
- Fry over a low to medium heat for about 4 minutes when they should be crisp and golden. Flip over and fry for a further 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Any leftover fritters can be kept covered in the fridge and reheated in the oven the next day.
These also go to Ren Behan for Simple and in Season – courgettes are in full flow now.
Other courgette recipes to help use up your glut (if you are lucky enough to have one):
- Bulgar stuffed courgettes with pine nuts – Family Friends Food
- Chocolate, chilli, courgette and cinnamon cupcakes – Tin and Thyme
- Chocolate courgette squares – Tin and Thyme
- Courgette and feta bake – Supper in the Suberbs
- Courgette buns – It’s Not Easy Being Greedy
- Courgette soup – Fab Food 4 All
- Courgetti with avocado and feta sauce – Celery & Cupcakes
- Creamy courgette puff pastry tart – Family Friends Food
- Light melon and zucchini carpaccio salad – The Petite Cook
- Minted asparagus and courgette summer tart – They Call It The Diamond Blog
- Stuffed zucchini with Turkish couscous salad – The Petite Cook
- Vegan chocolate courgette cupcakes – Tin and Thyme