Spiced Apple Chutney – Easy, Delicious and Simply The Best

Spiced Apple Chutney

Christmas, Gifts, Preserves | 22nd October 2017 | By

Apples have to be the best autumn treasure. They are versatile, delicious and can keep well. This year, they are also abundant. If you have more apples than you know what to do with, or even if you don’t, I urge you to make a batch of this spiced apple chutney.

Spiced Apple Chutney

I’ve made  quite a few chutneys in my time, but this spiced apple chutney is the one I keep coming back to. I make a batch of it every year. The jars go into the back of the cupboard and stay there until the chutney has matured. It’s a good recipe to make for Christmas; the chutney is just about ready to eat by then. It’s an essential accompaniment to a good cheeseboard, but also makes a lovely addition to a Christmas hamper or a gift to cheer up the neighbours.

Spiced Apple Chutney.

The chutney is best made with cooking apples, though it’s a useful recipe to make the most of windfalls too. It’s simple to prepare, even if there is a fair amount of peeling, coring and chopping involved. If using windfalls, do make sure any brown bits are removed as these could affect the chutney’s keeping qualities. Otherwise, just bung everything into a large pan and let it simmer away until the mixture is thick and the liquid has disappeared. This usually takes about 20 minutes.

Kombucha Vinegar

This year I used my homemade kombucha vinegar for the first time. It was just as good as the usual apple cider vinegar so I’m feeling rather pleased with myself. Sadly, my empty jars were all back in Cornwall, so I had to make one large jar which isn’t nearly as satisfying nor as useful. I shall just have to make another batch when I get my jars.

Spiced Apple Chutney

We’ve found this spiced apple chutney is at its absolute best about six months to a year after being made. The rawness of the vinegar has long since mellowed and the flavours have coalesced into a pleasing whole. It’s fruity, but not too sweet nor too sour and it has a pleasing autumnal colour. It has a slight kick from the ginger and chilli, but not enough to put anyone off. In fact, it’s quite delicious. Please give it a go.

This recipe makes 4-5 small jars, but can easily be doubled to make more.

Sterilise The Jars

It’s important to sterilise jars before pouring in the spiced apple chutney. This can be done in two ways

1. Run the jars and lids through a dishwasher cycle.
  2. Wash the jars with hot soapy water and rinse well. Place in an oven and heat it to 125℃. Once the oven has reached full temperature, leave them there for 15 minutes. The lids will need to be boiled in a pan of water for a couple of minutes as the oven will destroy any plastic coating.

Ladle the warm chutney into the jars whilst they’re hot. This will prevent the jars from cracking.

An alternative way of sterilising the lids I learned from Pam Corbin, is to seal the jars immediately after filling and turn them upside down for a few minutes so the hot contents can do the job for you. This is the method I used this time as I had no wax discs available.

Other Chutney Recipes You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this spiced apple chutney, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Spiced Apple Chutney. PIN IT.

Pot of spiced apple chutney.

Spiced Apple Chutney – The Recipe

Spiced Apple Chutney.
Print Pin
4.13 from 8 votes

Spiced Apple Chutney

A good way to use up any windfall or cooking apples, this easy to make chutney is neither too sweet, nor too sour. It's just delicious.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Course: Accompaniment, Jams, Chutneys etc
Cuisine: British
Keyword: apples, autumn, Christmas, chutney, spices
Servings: 5 jars

• 700 g cooking or windfall apples - peeled cored and roughly chopped
  • 1 large onion - peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves - peeled and finely chopped
  • 250 ml apple cider vinegar or kombucha vinegar
  • 125 g demerara or golden caster sugar
  • 1 red chilli - finely chopped or 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
  • 1 tbsp root ginger - grated
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

• Place all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil.
  • Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The chutney is ready when the apples have virtually disintegrated and the mixture has thickened.
  • Pour into warm sterilised jars. Tap the jars to remove air pockets. Cover with waxed discs, then screw on the lids, label and store.

Notes

Store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year. Best left for at least a month before eating. Keep in the fridge once opened.

Blog Link-Ups

I’m sharing my spiced apple chutney with #CookBlogShare hosted, this week, by Hijacked by Twins.

1. Angie@Angie's Recipes

22nd October 2017 at 2:49 pm

I love all the warm spices here, Choclette. The chutney must have tasted wonderfully delicious.

22nd October 2017 at 3:37 pm

It tastes good, but still a bit vinegary. It needs time to mature and mellow.

2. Kavita Favelle | Kavey Eats

22nd October 2017 at 6:45 pm

Apple chutney is one of my favourite types to make, I’ve never used kombucha though so I’m intrigued by that! Looks really good.

23rd October 2017 at 8:58 am

It’s kombucha vinegar rather than kombucha – ie when it’s been left so long it turns to vinegar (not always planned). But it’s really good and tastes much like apple cider vinegar.

3. Elizabeth

22nd October 2017 at 6:46 pm

What a gorgeous flavoured chutney! I love all these spices! I bet this would taste great with cheese and oatcakes. 🙂

23rd October 2017 at 8:57 am

Thanks Elizabeth. I can attest it makes a perfect accompaniment to cheese and oatcakes 😉

22nd October 2017 at 6:52 pm

This looks gorgeous. I’ve just used the last of my apples from our tree, but I may buy some to make more chutney later, I’ll certainly bookmark it for next year.

23rd October 2017 at 8:56 am

Well done on using all your apples. It’s quite a feat. They seem to be dripping off the trees here, though I’ve only the windfalls from a neigbours garden.

5. Michelle Rolfe

22nd October 2017 at 7:12 pm

Looks lovely! And no raisins! Yeah! I’m not a huge fan of them in all chutneys so this one looks perfect for my Christmas cheeseboard!

23rd October 2017 at 8:55 am

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I remember apple chutney from when I was growing up. It had raisins in and wasn’t at all nice. This is a very different beast.

6. Angela / Only Crumbs Remain

23rd October 2017 at 8:42 am

Can you believe I’ve never tried an apple chutney – I absolutely love the sound of it – sounds like a geeat addition to a Christmas hamper as you say. 😀
    Angela x

23rd October 2017 at 8:52 am

It’s my favourite chutney Angela and has stood the test of time 🙂

7. Claire Thomas

23rd October 2017 at 9:51 pm

I am going to make this next week with some cooking apples my friend gave me – I will then be able to gift a jar back to her at Christmas! The mix of spice sounds amazing!

8. Kirsty Hijacked By Twins

23rd October 2017 at 10:07 pm

Oooh this looks and sounds so good! The perfect addition to a cheese and wine night! Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

9. Linnea | (Chick)peas & Understanding

24th October 2017 at 10:34 am

Lovely – I am sure the ginger and chilli must add a nice kick to it! Thanks for the info on preparing the jars too; I deffo needed that! x

1st November 2017 at 3:11 pm

Chilli and ginger are a must. I don’t add too much chilli as not everyone likes it, but you can always add more if you’re a chilli fiend like me.

10. Jacqui Bellefontaine

24th October 2017 at 6:37 pm

I have a ton of apples and tis looks very different to my usual apple chutney so Im going to make this will let you know when its done

11. Nico @ yumsome

24th October 2017 at 9:34 pm

You totally had me at chutney!

I’ve just made a batch of apple, tomato, and onion chutney (I used booch vinegar too!), and now I’m sitting here, looking at the rest of the sack of apples I have on my kitchen table, wondering whether should make a batch of yours, and will I have enough room in my luggage to take it with me in December!

That’s a fab tip about sterilising the lids, I’ve not heard of that one before but I shall remember it from now on! xx

1st November 2017 at 3:20 pm

Yay, lets have it for kombucha 🙂

Adding tomatoes to apple is not something I’ve tried. Now I really want to. The trouble with traveling is you can never pack everything you want. Good luck.

12. Elinor Hill

24th October 2017 at 11:14 pm

I love apple chutneys especially with cheese on toast!

1st November 2017 at 3:21 pm

Ooh yum, cheese on toast. That’s my husband’s favourite way to eat chutney too.

13. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

25th October 2017 at 11:09 am

That must be one amazing flavor combination! Love it!

14. Sarojini

25th October 2017 at 11:54 am

So glad to be back here after a long break from blogging This chutney recipe looks fab, thanks!

1st November 2017 at 3:18 pm

Thank you. Hope you’ve had a break for good reasons. Either way welcome back.

15. johanna @ green gourmet giraffe

26th October 2017 at 11:16 am

sounds lovely – I love a good chutney but had a few bad batches and so I haven’t made it for a while – but it is so good with cheese on a burger

29th October 2017 at 8:28 am

Yes very true. I rarely think to add chutney to my burger, but I really should.

16. Jo / Jo's Kitchen Larder

26th October 2017 at 1:12 pm

Sounds fantastic! I do love a good chutney with the cheese board and this one sounds so inviting. I do like the fact that it has got a bit of a kick too!. x

29th October 2017 at 8:27 am

You’re so right Jo, no cheese board is complete without a good chutney 🙂

17. Kate - Gluten Free Alchemist

29th October 2017 at 11:14 am

This chutney sounds totally amazing Choclette. I love it when you create a recipe which becomes a must have every year and is made with fresh, local ingredients. Mine has to be my Pear and Ginger preserve which goes perfectly with cheese….. I think I may have to give yours a go though. It sounds wonderful x

1st November 2017 at 3:02 pm

Pear and ginger sounds wonderful too. I just love autumn and the abundance of wonderful produce that comes with it.