Best Beetroot Chutney and the Benefits of Using Glass

Beetroot Chutney

In this season of abundance and mellow fruitfulness, my mind very quickly turns to thoughts of preserving. I was just thinking it was about time I made some apple chutney, when a bunch of beautiful beetroot turned up in my veg box. My plans did an about turn and I ended up making the best beetroot chutney ever. As I spooned my finished chutney into jars, I couldn’t help but give thanks for the wonders of glass.

Reusable Glass

Glass is my absolute favourite material for food storage. It appeals to my thrifty nature; it’s attractive, reusable and doesn’t leach nasty chemicals into your vittles. When it comes to making jams, pickles or chutneys, it’s unthinkable to use anything else. The preserves shine through the glass and if, like me, you’re not always good at labelling, you can pretty much tell what’s in a glass jar without having to take off the lid and spoil the contents. When I made this beetroot chutney the other day, it never occurred to me to use anything else.

Beetroot Chutney

Friends of Glass have this to say on the subject and I couldn’t agree more. “A glass jam jar is a simple, beautiful and practical design that won’t deteriorate no matter how many times it is re-used or recycled. Because glass is inert, the jam jar keeps its contents fresher for longer and when put into the recycling bank, it takes as little as 30 days for it to be returned to the shelf as a new jar – making it a perfect role model for the circular economy.”

Wash Those Jars

When I was young one of my uncles had a bottle washing factory. Way back then, all drinks came in glass bottles, which were washed and re-used again and again. Fizzy drink bottles had a refundable deposit and hunting around in the streets and hedges for bottles was a major earner for us kids. It seems rather sad that this practice faded away, that bottle washing factories went out of business and that so many drinks now come in plastic bottles. Rant over.

History of the Glass Jar

Glass jars were first used for preserving foodstuffs in the early 19th Century. Before the invention of the screw top lid, they were sealed with wax. Here’s a rather interesting timeline from Friends of Glass on the development of the glass jar.

Friends of Glass Timeline

Best Beetroot Chutney

The beetroot chutney is easy to make and it keeps for ages. It’s important to use sterilised glass jars when preserving. I wash them well in warm soapy water, then dry them out in a warm oven (150℃) for 15 minutes. If you have a dishwasher, you can run them through that instead. To sterilise the lids, I boil them in water for a few minutes, then leave to dry before sealing the jar’s contents.

My favourite accompaniment to cheese is a good homemade chutney and this beetroot chutney lives up to the best of them. Its earthy tones are livened up with fruity notes and just a hint of spicy cinnamon and warming chilli. I used my own homemade blackcurrant vinegar along with apple cider vinegar to give a fruity flavour, but any fruit vinegar should work.

Beetroot Chutney

Fill some pretty glass jars with beetroot chutney and attach an attractive label and you have a unique homemade gift. In my experience, homemade preserves are appreciated far more than something hastily bought online or on the high street. Autumnal chutney makes a particularly good Christmas gift as it has a few months to mature and will taste its best in December and January.

Other Chutney Recipes You Might Like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this beetroot chutney, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share a photo on social media too and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot it. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Best Beetroot Chutney. PIN IT.

Labeled jar of beetroot chutney.

Best Beetroot Chutney – The Recipe

Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Best Beetroot Chutney

A fruity warming chutney that makes an excellent partner to cheese.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Course: Jams, Chutneys etc
Cuisine: British
Keyword: beetroot, chutney, gift, glass
Servings: 4 jars
Author: Choclette

• 600 g beetroot - scrubbed topped & tailed - grated
  • 1 large red onion - diced
  • 100 g golden granulated sugar
  • 150 ml cider vinegar
  • 100 ml blackcurrant vinegar or other fruit vinegar or 50g more vinegar + 50g sugar + 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 large red chilli - seeds removed and finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • good grinding black pepper

• Place all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil.
  • Simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The chutney is ready when the beetroot is cooked and the mixture has thickened.
  • Pour into warm sterilised jars. Tap the jars to remove air pockets. Cover with waxed discs, then screw on the lids and label.

Notes

Store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year.
Best left for at least a month before eating.
Keep in the fridge once opened.

Thanks to Friends of Glass for sponsoring this post. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. Thanks also to my readers for supporting the organisations and brands that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Elizabeth

4th October 2016 at 4:12 pm

A gorgeous sounding recipe and I agree with regards to glass. I remember returning bottles for pennies too – I saved up for my first bike with bottles!

4th October 2016 at 7:45 pm

Wow, you did brilliantly well to get a bike. I think mine all went on sweets 😉

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes

4th October 2016 at 5:25 pm

I bet that blackcurrant vinegar makes this beetroot chutney particularly delicious.

4th October 2016 at 7:42 pm

It really does Angie. I’m running out of the vinegar now as this was last year’s and I didn’t get any blackcurrants this year to make more.

3. Kavey

4th October 2016 at 5:26 pm

I love making chutney so much! I started off using my grandfather’s recipes and have since created many of my own. Once I understood the balance of tart and sweet, and the way that sugar and vinegar work to preserve food, I felt more confident with making my own recipes. I am happy to read about glass storage as that’s always been my preference too.

4th October 2016 at 7:41 pm

How wonderful to have your grandfathers chutney recipes Kavey. My grandfather was in to making all sorts of country wines – birch leaf wine and all sorts. But he never left the know-how or recipe behind him. I have most of my staples stored in glass jars – love em.

4. Shelley

4th October 2016 at 6:47 pm

I love beets and I love chutney, I can’t wait to try this.

4th October 2016 at 7:37 pm

I’m rather smitten with it at the moment Shelley. Do let me know how you get on if you do make it.

5. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

5th October 2016 at 7:01 am

Look at that colour! Beetroot chutney sounds amazing and something that I’ve never even tried before.

5th October 2016 at 9:01 am

Thanks Jemma. I think this might have been the first time I’ve every tried it too – I’m glad I did 🙂

6. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche

5th October 2016 at 9:12 am

This sounds fantastic – I love its stunning colour. Bet this goes so well with a crumbly mature cheddar!

7th October 2016 at 8:13 am

Thanks Becca. I can attest it goes brilliantly well with crumbly mature cheddar, also Cornish brie 🙂

7. Kate Ford

5th October 2016 at 1:21 pm

What a beautiful deep purple, that looks stunning and your labels and jar tops are so pretty. Totally with you on glass, trying to gradually swap all my old tupperware for lidded glass storage instead, so much better.

7th October 2016 at 8:11 am

Thanks Kate. I’ve always used glass jars for storage, but tupperware or similar still seems more practical for the freezer.

8. Nikki

5th October 2016 at 8:41 pm

I am a huge fan of beetroot so this chutney sounds great. I agree i love storing jams and chutneys in glass jars too!

7th October 2016 at 8:08 am

I’m not sure why beetroot chutney isn’t more of a “thing”, it’s fabulous stuff 🙂

9. Sarah from Lavender Life

5th October 2016 at 8:47 pm

It looks delicious! And the glass jars are awesome! I make my own hot sauce every couple of months, and I use similar jars to store them. So much more practical than plastic containers 🙂

7th October 2016 at 8:06 am

Definitely Sarah. You’ve got me interested in your hot sauce now. I make my own chilli sauce too, but always interested to see others.

10. Nayna Kanabar

6th October 2016 at 11:18 pm

I adore glass bottles and recycle most of mine , usually use them to store things in, serve drinks, use ad vases or nick nak holders and use them as tea light holders too,

7th October 2016 at 7:34 am

Yes, I’m with you on all of that Nayna. I know a friend who collects them for birthdays and uses them as tea light holders for grand displays.

11. Manda

8th October 2016 at 12:13 pm

I wonder if your sponsors can help me find a source for jam jar lids. The jars last forever but the sealing lids do not and although I’ve made feeble efforts to locate suppliers it’s been unsuccessful. It is possible to use those old fashioned plastic covers with elastic bands but I like knowing there’s a vacuum seal on my pots. Any ideas?

8th October 2016 at 1:12 pm

Hi Manda. I know for sure you can get good sealing lids, but I don’t know where from. I’m an inveterate re-user of lids. I’m sure Friends of Glass would be able to help you though. Do give them a try. Here’s their e-mail address: info@friendsofglass.com

12. Jacqueline Meldrum

8th October 2016 at 12:24 pm

I’ve not made chutney for such a long time. I am totally drooling over yours. I really must start making more of an effort. there’s nothing quite as nice as homemade preserves.

8th October 2016 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Jac. I’m compelled to make preserves. I often have bread and cheese at lunchtime, but it just wouldn’t be right without some sort of chutney or pickles to go with it.

13. nadia

10th October 2016 at 12:19 pm

Ooo beetroot chutney, can’t say I’ve ever tried that! Sounds delicious, especially with crackers and cheese 😀 I love glass too for all the reasons you mentioned 😉

11th October 2016 at 9:35 am

Thanks Nadia. I’ve always been suspicious of plastic in terms of food storage. It gets increasingly hard to get away from these day, but I use glass where I can.

13th October 2016 at 7:08 pm

I love beetroot chutney, it seems to have the perfect combination of sweet and sour flavours to go with so many different meals.

13th October 2016 at 9:50 pm

So true Janice. I’ve just harvested our pitiful crop of beetroot, but I’m hoping there might just be enough to make another batch.

15. Emma @ Adventures of a London Kiwi

24th October 2016 at 2:05 pm

“Friends of Glass” are so right – there is just something so delicious abut a glass jar full of chutney (not that they ever stay full in our house!)

25th October 2016 at 8:31 am

Yes, it’s definitely glass all the way with us.

16. Friends of Glass

27th October 2016 at 7:24 am

Hello all and thanks Choclette for the brilliant beetroot chutney recipe. The team here are going to definitely give it a go! If you love glass, please do become a Friend of Glass – just go to the website and sign up. It’s free and will help us lobby to keep glass packaging as a choice on the supermarket shelves!

Ps jam jar lids can be bought online – try the Jam Jar company who have a good range.

28th October 2016 at 8:50 pm

Oh yes please do and let me know what you think – with a picture of course. I thought I’d already signed up, but if not I will do.

1st September 2018 at 8:07 pm

I love beetroot and beetroot chutney is such a lovely way to serve it.

2nd September 2018 at 3:05 pm

I’m with you, a big beetroot fan. Sadly CT isn’t so keen.

18. Lisa

27th August 2019 at 2:27 pm

Hello. Can this be canned with the regular snap and screw canning lids? And does it need to be water bathed? I can’t wait to try it

Thanks,
    Lisa

27th August 2019 at 4:42 pm

Hi Lisa. I’m not sure what snap and screw canning lids are exactly, but they sound as though they will be fine. And no, it shouldn’t need a water bath as the vinegar and sugar content are quite high. Just make sure the jars and lids are properly sterilised and sealed. Once the jars are open, keep in the fridge. I’d love to hear how you get on.