Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney – How to Easily Make Your Own

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

I’ve never really got on with commercially made chutneys, but homemade ones are jars of joy. I make some most years, but I didn’t get around to it last autumn and stocks have been running rather low. Cue rhubarb and ginger chutney.

Rhubarb is one of my favourite spring fruits. Well I know technically it’s a vegetable, but most of us use it as a fruit so it’s easier to refer to it as such. We used to grow a champion crop, but for some reason rhubarb has never taken to our new plot and refuses to grow; I say new but we’ve had it nearly 9 years now – eek, how time flies. So when we had some gorgeous bright red sticks included in our veg box the other week, I got very excited. My first thought was cake, my second was chutney.

Luckily I had enough to make the remarkable rhubarb cake you may have seen in my last post and two and a half jars of rhubarb and ginger chutney – win win. The colour was truly amazing. I’ve made rhubarb chutney before and it usually comes out a rather sludgy brown colour, which isn’t the most visually appealing. This one however was a surprising bright pink. It tastes delicious too. So here is how you can easily make your own.

Other recipes for preserving rhubarb you might like

If you’d like to see more preserving recipes, you’ll find plenty of them on my fermented & preserved Pinterest board.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this recipe for rhubarb and ginger chutney, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Rhubarb Chutney. PIN IT.

Pot of bright pink ginger & rhubarb chutney.

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney – The Recipe

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney
Print Pin
5 from 3 votes

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

A superb speedy chutney that is quick to prepare and quick to cook. It adds a fresh and spicy kick to cheese, roasted vegetables and many other dishes. It also goes well with curry.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Course: Accompaniment, Jams, Chutneys etc
Cuisine: British
Keyword: chutney, ginger, quick, rhubarb
Servings: 2 jars
Author: Choclette

• 300 g topped and tailed rhubarb - roughly chopped
  • 1 onion - peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 cm lump root ginger - peeled and finely chopped
  • ½ red chilli - seeds removed and finely chopped
  • 3 cardamom pods
  • small piece cinnamon stick
  • 60 ml cider vinegar
  • 80 g golden caster sugar (I used cardamom sugar)
  • pinch sea salt

• Place all ingredients into a medium-sized saucepan and place on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Bring to a simmer and leave to cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until the rhubarb has collapsed and the mixture is no longer watery. Stir occasionally.
  • Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.
  • Store in a cool dark place for up to six months.

Notes

Although like most chutneys, this is best left to mature for a while, it's still good eaten on the day of making.
Makes 2½ small jars.

Sharing

I’m sending my rhubarb and ginger chutney off to the No Waste Food Challenge normally hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary. In June and July, however, Utterly Scrummy Food for Families is hosting. If you have loads of rhubarb this is an excellent way of using it up. You can double, triple or quadruple the quantities and enjoy a taste of early summer later in the year.

Tags: ,

1. Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry

9th June 2016 at 9:39 am

I tend to prefer home made chutney too and make lots of rhubarb or courgette chutney when I can. Lovely recipe C.

9th June 2016 at 10:05 am

Thanks Bintu. Courgette chutney is a new one on me, but what a good way to use them up.

2. Katie Bryson

9th June 2016 at 10:29 am

Oh wow… jars of joy indeed!!!! I’m a huge sucker for home made chutney, haven’t made it for ages though! I’m SO going to back a batch of this as it looks totally lush.

11th June 2016 at 9:24 am

Hehe, it’s hard to resist a jar of joy Katie 😉

3. Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

9th June 2016 at 11:33 am

I am thinking about all the different things that I can put this on. A great way to make the most of rhubarb season.

11th June 2016 at 9:28 am

So far we’ve had it as an accompaniment to cheese and an omelette, but time will tell …

4. Janie

9th June 2016 at 2:25 pm

Damn, that looks good! Love love love rhubarb and it has to be one of the easiest plants to have down the bottom of the garden!
    Janie x

11th June 2016 at 9:29 am

You’d think so wouldn’t you Janie, but we can’t grow it for love nor money.

• tanya muttitt

5th September 2018 at 9:37 am

from one cornish lass to another how do you make cardamom sugar please

5th September 2018 at 1:50 pm

Ah, cardamom suger is super easy and smells gorgeous. Just put a handful of cardamom pods in a largish jar and fill with golden caster sugar (or granulated). Leave for a week to infuse. I have a permanent jar on the go and just top it up with sugar as soon as I’ve used some.

5. Jacqueline Meldrum

9th June 2016 at 3:31 pm

This looks amazing! I love rhubarb and you’ve reminded be I have some in the fridge from my parent’s neighbour. Rhubarb crumble it is!

11th June 2016 at 9:33 am

Hope you enjoyed your rhubarb crumble Jac, you’ve really got my mouth watering now.

6. Lucy Parissi

9th June 2016 at 7:38 pm

I love chutney and I love rhubarb but never thought to combine the two. I am very into jams and preserves this year I have to make this!

11th June 2016 at 9:36 am

There is something so satisfying with a shelf lined with homemade preserves Lucy – I love em.

7. Vicky

9th June 2016 at 8:46 pm

I adore rhubarb and ginger chutney, I must try making this sometime. It looks fabulous, so pink and Summery.

11th June 2016 at 9:37 am

Thanks Vicky, rhubarb has such a good flavour for so many things.

8. Claire Jessiman

9th June 2016 at 9:03 pm

That looks so vibrant. Far removed from sludgy looking shop bought chutneys. I need to make me some.

11th June 2016 at 9:38 am

Thanks Claire. As you know, homemade is usually best 😉

9. Nayna Kanabar

10th June 2016 at 9:10 am

I have not tried this combination of chutney so I am on my way to source some rhubarb . 🙂

11th June 2016 at 9:40 am

Oh good luck Nayna. Some rhubarb growing neighbours would be good.

10. Angie@Angie's Recipes

10th June 2016 at 4:17 pm

I love the combo of rhubarb and ginger … this chutney must be extremely tasty.

11th June 2016 at 9:42 am

Rhubarb pairs particularly well with ginger Angie and it’s a must in rhubarb preserves 🙂

11. Sarah James @ Tales From The Kitchen Shed

10th June 2016 at 4:42 pm

Your rhubarb chutney looks delicious Choclette, I love rhubarb and ginger. I’ve used all my rhubarb up this year so I’m pinning for next year x

11th June 2016 at 9:43 am

Ah, that’s interesting. I guess the season started earlier in France than it did for us. Now wondering what you did with all of yours.

12. Dom

11th June 2016 at 10:30 am

That is SUCH a stunning colour and the combination of rhubarb and ginger is always a winner here. Our rhubarb (and when I say our I mean my neighbour Tracey’s) hasn’t performed well this year… no idea why, so I need to find someone else to steal from!

11th June 2016 at 8:31 pm

Oh how annoying. We can’t seem to grow rhubarb in our new (8 yrs) plot at all. We visited friends today and came back with the most ENORMOUS sticks I’ve ever seen – 2 large crumbles per stick I reckon!

13. the caked crusader

12th June 2016 at 11:00 am

I love rhubarb but have never had it in a chutney before – love the combo with ginger.

12th June 2016 at 1:30 pm

Oh, you’re missing a trick CC, rhubarb makes a fab chutney.

14. Lady A. Janet

12th June 2016 at 9:58 pm

This is a perfect combination. Can’t wait to try it out my family. Thanks for sharing, kudos!!!

13th June 2016 at 3:30 pm

Thank you Janet. If you like rhubarb, you’re bound to like this.

15. Corina

20th June 2016 at 5:45 pm

I think the ginger with the rhubarb must be a delicious combination! I love rhubarb and we had a patch in the garden when I was growing up. I really miss it now as I’d love to use it more often and I often forget about it when it’s in the shops.

22nd June 2016 at 9:48 am

I really miss the rhubarb we used to grow, it was fantastic. For some reason we just can’t get it take in our new plot, so I’m reliant on friends for mine.

16. Kate - gluten free alchemist

20th June 2016 at 10:09 pm

Fruity chutneys are my favourite kind and the combo of rhubarb and ginger sounds lovely. I made pear and ginger last year and that was amazing…… looks like rhubarb and ginger may have to be next on the list. Beautiful beautiful colour too! x

22nd June 2016 at 9:43 am

Thanks Kate. Pear and ginger sounds delicious – pretty much anything with ginger does if I’m honest 😉 I was really lucky to get hold of some bright red sticks, so I didn’t end up with a sludgy colour.

17. Elizabeth

23rd August 2016 at 8:39 am

I am absolutely loving the sound of this! I have a freezer drawer full of rhubarb left over from the Spring. I’ll have to try this! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge 🙂

31st August 2016 at 9:50 am

If you like rhubarb (and maybe even if you don’t) it’s a great relish to make. Sadly ours is all gone and I’ll have to wait for next year now.

18. Jill's Mad About Macarons

11th May 2019 at 12:29 pm

Love Rhubarb and ginger but never thought of making a chutney out of it. This is super, Choclette! Pinning and sharing this on my blog, as I’m crazy about rhubarb too xx

11th May 2019 at 6:06 pm