Maple Tofu Skewers with Papaya Salsa

Maple Tofu Skewers

The BBQ season is well under way and although the weather has by no means been perfect, we’ve had several warm sunny days that just make you want to get out into the garden and grill. These maple tofu skewers are not only delicious but are thoroughly inclusive to all as they are vegan and by their very nature, gluten free.

Alfresco Eating

I’m working with House of Fraser and using some of their outdoor dining range to make the most of the summer season. They have a fantastic selection of colourful Linea melamine tableware. As well as the side plates and bowls you can see in these pictures, dinner plates are also available; they come in navy blue and in the regatta pattern you can see in the oven gloves below. The range is ideal for alfresco eating.

House of Fraser BBQ Ware

Silicon spoons are always useful, but the silicon tongs are just brilliant and can be used on just about any surface. I also adore the fishy blue regatta kitchen linen set I was sent. It consists of oven gloves, apron and three tea towels and they offset the plates and bowls brilliantly.  A similar BBQ kitchen linen set features a recipe for BBQ Chicken Skewers. I’ve adapted this into something that vegetarians can eat. Maple tofu skewers are go!

Maple Tofu Skewers

Maple Tofu Skewers with Papaya Salsa and Tahini Sauce

Whilst halloumi has now become a BBQ classic, tofu is still a little shy of being the star of the show. Time to change the perception that tofu is worthy but boring. It is in fact a fantastic vehicle for absorbing flavours and if it’s pressed and cooked properly, can have a lovely crunchy outer layer with a soft creamy interior. The ingredients for these maple tofu skewers are marinaded in a sticky mix of mustard, garlic and maple syrup producing crispy yet succulent moreish morsels. CT’s never been the biggest fan of tofu, but he wolfed these down and pronounced them eminently edible.

Papaya Salsa

You can, of course, cook these maple tofu skewers indoors using an oven and grill if you don’t have a BBQ or the weather is too inclement. They will still taste delicious. The quantities can easily be scaled up as required. Papaya salsa is an excellent accompaniment with sweet and sour flavours and soft and crunchy textures. We ate ours with crisp lettuce leaves, wholemeal pitta breads and a clementine tahini sauce, which I shall be posting at some point soon. It was a veritable feast.

Maple Tofu Skewers – The Recipe

Maple Tofu Skewers with Papaya Salsa
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
40 mins

Crispy yet succulent pieces of marinaded tofu grilled with red peppers and onions and served with a sweet and sour papaya salsa.
Course: main
Cuisine: British
Keywords: bbq, maple syrup, marinade, papaya, peppers, smoked tofu
Servings: 2 people
Author: Choclette
Maple Tofu Skewers
  • 280 g organic firm tofu - pressed ( I used Clear Spot)
  • 1 large red pepper
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 rounded tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove of garlic - chopped finely or mashed
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp soy sauce (I use tamari)
  • a pinch of ground black pepper
Papaya Salsa
  • 1 ripe papaya
  • 1 baby cucumber
  • 4 ripe baby tomatoes
  • 10 large chive leaves
  • 1 radish (optional)
  • ½ lime
Maple Tofu Skewers
  1. Cut the tofu into 1" cubes.
  2. Deseed the pepper and cut into similar sized pieces.
  3. Quarter the onion.
  4. Mix the marinade ingredients together. Add the tofu and stir gently to coat. Leave for 20 minutes or more, then add the pepper and onion pieces. Mix gently, but ensuring everything has been covered with the marinade.
  5. Thread onto skewers and grill for 15 to 20 minutes.
Papaya Salsa
  1. Cut the papaya in half, take out the seeds and discard. Scoop out the flesh and chop into 1 cm (ish) pieces.
  2. Chop the cucumber tomatoes and radish to a similar size.
  3. Snip the chives.
  4. Mix everything together along with the juice from the lime.
Recipe Notes

Pressing tofu extracts some of the water it contains and makes it easier to get crispy edges. If you don't have a tofu press, put the tofu in a wide bowl. Place a flat plate on top of it and then pile on a few heavy books. Leave for a minimum of 1 hr, but the longer you leave it, the more water will be extracted.
If using wooden skewers, ensure you soak before threading and placing onto BBQ.
Serves two generously.

Other BBQ ideas you might like

I have plenty more Tin and Thyme recipes which feature tofu as a main ingredient. And for even more ideas, head over to my tofu Pinterest board.

Sharing

These maple tofu skewers go to Jac over at Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays.

Show Me

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this recipe for maple tofu skewers with papaya salsa and tahini sauce I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Maple Tofu Skewers. PIN IT.

Maple Tofu Skewers with papaya salsa and tahini sauce.

Thanks to House of Fraser for sponsoring this post. I was not expected to write a positive review and all opinions are, as always, my own. Thanks to my readers for supporting the brands and organisations that help to keep Tin and Thyme blithe and blogging.

1. Helen @ family-friends-food.com

27th June 2016 at 1:23 pm

Those look fab! I must admit that I’ve always avoided putting tofu on the barbecue because of fears that it wouldn’t stand up to it and would just fall apart. Apparently I needn’t have worried! I’ll give these a go just as soon as we get some decent weather!

27th June 2016 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Helen. I was a bit concerned about this too, but pressing the tofu firms it up too. It might depend on the brand too.

2. Kate @ Veggie Desserts

27th June 2016 at 2:02 pm

What a great barbecue!! I will definitely try this for my next barbecue. I didn’t realise that they would stay on the stick, so tofu sounds just perfect to grill. I’m looking forward to the recipe for your clementine tahini dressing too. This is a barbecue with pizazz!

27th June 2016 at 2:33 pm

Hahaha Kate, pizazz, I like it. I think the secret to tofu not falling off is making sure you press it and cut it into fairly large pieces.

3. Janie

27th June 2016 at 2:08 pm

These look great Choccy, there’s a whole heap of my favourite flavours here 🙂
    Janie x

27th June 2016 at 2:34 pm

We don’t often have feasts like this when it’s just the two of us, so it felt very indulgent 🙂

4. Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs

27th June 2016 at 2:15 pm

Just wow! Can I come over to your house the next time the sun is shining? We are still yet to have a BBQ this year so you are making me very very jealous and very hungry! Will pin for a sunnier day!

27th June 2016 at 2:35 pm

You’d better hurry up Emma. In another rare moment, the sun is actually shining as I type 😉

5. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche

27th June 2016 at 2:28 pm

Love the look of that crockery – so bright and perfect for summer! These skewers look lovely, I don’t think I’ve ever used tofu on the BBQ but that needs to be rectified soon!

27th June 2016 at 2:37 pm

Yes, the crockery is great Becca and makes me feel all sunshiny just looking at it. Using tofu in this way was a first for us too, but it was fine 🙂

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes

27th June 2016 at 3:02 pm

The weather we have over here is pretty lousy too..been raining all the week. Good thing is that we don’t bbq at all :-)) I can always do these on a grill pan, right? They look delicious!

27th June 2016 at 9:38 pm

No BBQ at all Angie? Ever? A grill pan should work fine, although you might want to roast the pieces for a few minutes in the oven before threading onto skewers. Hope the weather improves for you. We actually had some sun today.

7. Camilla @FabFood4All

27th June 2016 at 3:25 pm

These tofu skewers sound utterly delightful, I have never had tofu on the BBQ so really need to try! Thanks for linking to my Banana S’mores:-)

28th June 2016 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Camilla. Pressing the tofu and keeping the cubes chunky are the keys to success on the BBQ.

8. Bethanie Dennis

27th June 2016 at 3:59 pm

A nice twist on the traditional BBQ skewers. I bet it’s a much lighter version too. Will have to try this definitely.

27th June 2016 at 9:36 pm

They were delicious Bethanie and it’s always nice if you’re having a gathering to offer food that everyone can eat.

9. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

28th June 2016 at 5:40 pm

I usually make halloumi skewers but I’m trying to cut down on my animal products – which isn’t easy when faced with halloumi – but I also love tofu so I need to give these a go.

30th June 2016 at 7:24 pm

I’m a bit of a cheese addict Cathy, so like you I’ve been trying to have the odd day off.

10. Kari

29th June 2016 at 5:08 am

Gorgeous, and making my mouth water. Love BBQ season!

30th June 2016 at 7:25 pm

Thank you Kari. BBQ season seems to have got up and gone 🙁

11. Dom

29th June 2016 at 7:01 am

Great idea and so colourful. I could even get the Viking behind these… Maybe with a chunk of halloumi on there too? Love the photos too. Looks adorable and very summery

30th June 2016 at 7:26 pm

Hahaha, halloumi is very hard to resist, but these really are very good all on their ownsome 😉

12. Alida @My Little Italian Kitchen

29th June 2016 at 11:25 am

Your skewers are fab Choclette. Very nice and original served with papaya sauce. I need to use tofu more. It is a good substitute for meat if you know how to cook it well. Thank you for this lovely summery recipe.

30th June 2016 at 7:27 pm

Thanks Alida. Halloumi is fab for BBQs too, but it’s nice sometimes to have a rest from cheese.

13. Kate - gluten free alchemist

1st July 2016 at 10:32 pm

Tofu is so versatile and these skewers look great. Love the addition of the maple and the papaya salsa sounds interesting. I love halloumi too and also paneer!

2nd July 2016 at 10:05 am

Tofu is just great for soaking up flavours, but I’m a big fan of halloumi and paneer too.

14. Bean Bag Chairs

5th February 2017 at 2:46 am

Quality information! I will share this with my followers on Twitter.

12th July 2017 at 8:33 pm

This is is such a great recipe and I love the idea of papaya salsa.

13th July 2017 at 3:19 pm

Mmmmm, it was good. Reminds me I haven’t had a BBQ yet this year.