Nettle Powder and a Green Smoothie Bowl

Nettle Smoothie Bowl

I’m super excited about my latest green powder for my smoothies. It may not be an original idea, but it was original to me. As soon as I knew I was getting a dehydrator, I was stung into action, literally. The first thing I did was to try drying nettle leaves in the hope I could turn them into a fine green nettle powder.

Stinging Nettles

Stinging nettles are something I like to eat in the spring. You may have heard me mention it before, but I find I start craving them when they are young and fresh, especially after we’ve been through a long dark winter and are in need of reviving. They are a good spring tonic full of vitamins and minerals and not only that, they taste good too. When I pick them for making soups, frying them up with potatoes or using them as a general spinach substitute, I pick the top four leaves of the young plants only. Older plants and other leaves can be a bit too fibrous, making them unpleasant to eat. However, for drying and making nettle powder, I wanted large leaves as these are easier to cut and less are needed.

Nettle Powder

Foraging for Nettles

I took a basket and my precious kitchen scissors down to our plot where I knew there were plenty of clean green nettles. Snipping off the leaves wasn’t quite as easy as I’d envisaged, but I didn’t get stung too often and it was easier than wearing gloves. I laid the leaves out on my Optimum P200 dehydrator trays using a pair of tweezers, which worked quite well. When dried, I found I could pick up the leaves bare handed without getting stung, but I did handle them fairly gently. I spaced them out slightly apart so the air could circulate, but tried to get as many onto each tray as I could.

You can see the before, during and after process of making my green nettle powder in my dehydrator review post.

Making Nettle Powder

The first time I tried, it was a bit hit and miss as to timings, but I set the dehydrator to 35℃ and in the end it took seven hours. The experiment was an outstanding success. The nettles dried quite quickly, retained their greeness and my Optimim 9200A power blender made short work of turning them into a fine green powder. Once I knew it worked, I was off down the plot collecting more nettle leaves. I found 5 trays gave me 50g or 24 tsp of powder, a respectable amount I reckon.

Nettle Smoothie Bowl

No sooner had I made the nettle powder, than a smoothie was in order. To celebrate the occasion, I made a smoothie bowl. This allowed me to savour the concoction rather than gulp it down. The nettle powder in the quantity I added it, gave a subtle nettle taste rather than an overpowering one. But I’m sure it did me no end of good.

Nettle Smoothie Bowl – The Recipe

0 from 0 votes
Nettle Smoothie Bowl
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

A breakfast bowl of delicious and nutritious kefir, nettles and other ingredients to set you up for the day.
Course: Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine: British
Keywords: kefir, nettles, raw, smoothie, smoothie bowl
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 245 kcal
Author: Choclette
  • 750 ml kefir
  • 1 heaped tsp nettle powder (or green powder of choice)
  • 1 tsp spirulina
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp bee pollon (optional)
  • 1 tsp dried orange powder (optional)
  • 2 tbsp muesli
  • 2 kiwi fruit - peeled and sliced
  1. Blitz everything together, except the muesli and kiwi fruit, in a high speed blender for 20-30 seconds. You may need longer in an ordinary blender.

2. Pour into 4 bowls.
  3. Scatter ½ tbsp of muesli on top of the smoothie along one side of each bowl.

4. Halve the kiwi fruit slices and arrange along the centre of the bowls.

Recipe Notes

You can omit the muesli and kiwi fruit and drink this from a glass.
The smoothie gets even better kept in the fridge for 24 hrs or so and acquires quite a fizz.

Please note: calories and other nutritional information are per serving. They're approximate and will depend on serving size and exact ingredients used.

Nutrition Facts
Total Carbohydrates 26.7g 9%
Dietary Fiber 7.4g 30%
Sugars 16.6g
Protein 10.4g 21%
Calcium 3%
Iron 7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Other nettle recipes you might like

Keep in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make this nettle smoothie bowl, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Nettle Smoothie Bowl. PIN IT.

Nettle Smoothie Bowl with Muesli and Kiwi Slices

I’m a Froothie ambassador and this post contains affiliate links. Buying through a link will not cost you any more, but I will get a small commission. This helps keep Tin and Thyme blythe and blogging. You can find out what other recipes I’ve made using Froothie equipment on my Full on Froothie page. Opinions are, as always, my own.

Tags:

1. Cathy @ Planet Veggie

5th May 2016 at 11:48 am

I’ve had nettle tea once but I love the idea of drying the leaves and making them into a powder. A great way to get added nutrients in a smoothie!

5th May 2016 at 8:21 pm

I keep meaning to try some of this as tea, in the same way you’d drink matcha, then keep forgetting!

2. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe

5th May 2016 at 12:05 pm

Wow that powder is a lovely green and the smoothie bowl is really beautiful – interesting to hear your experiences in making it – I don’t have a ready supply of nettles or I would enjoy experimenting with them – glad you are able to use them and preserve them for later

5th May 2016 at 8:24 pm

It is a lovely colour and I’m really pleased with it Johanna. You must have some useful healthful green weeds you could use. I’m wondering about dandelions, but think they might be a bit too bitter.

3. Lucy Parissi

5th May 2016 at 3:01 pm

That looks amazing! I thought you had bought the powder but the fact you made it yourself boggles my mind. Now coveting a dehydrator for sure.

5th May 2016 at 8:24 pm

Hahaha Lucy, can’t stop giggling at the thought of boggling your mind 😉

4. Gingey Bites

5th May 2016 at 4:32 pm

Wow! I’ve never tried nettles but this sounds fascinating! I’d love to try them 🙂

5th May 2016 at 8:26 pm

Nettles are one of the most delicious wild weeds IMHO and with incredible edibles in Bristol, you must be able to find some.

5. Kavey

5th May 2016 at 6:37 pm

What an absolutely fantastic idea, love the idea of making a powder from nettles, a great way of preserving the crop for use at other times of the year and to be able to use it in more ways. So clever!

5th May 2016 at 8:27 pm

Ah thanks Kavey, you’ve put a big fat smile on my face 😀

6. Janice Pattie

5th May 2016 at 8:01 pm

Great idea for the dehydrator, we are awash with nettles already, so I may be drying some myself!

5th May 2016 at 8:27 pm

I think you’ll find it’s a lot quicker than sweet potatoes Janice 😉

7. Stuart Vettese

5th May 2016 at 10:20 pm

I must get into these smoothie bowl – they look very tempting indeed. Loving the dehydrator

8th May 2016 at 9:27 am

It makes a nice change to sit down and eat something out of a bowl for breakfast Stuart 😉

8. Nayna Kanabar

5th May 2016 at 11:25 pm

This smoothie bowl is full of wonderful healthy ingredients. It looks awesome too.

8th May 2016 at 9:26 am

Thanks Nayna. We have a lot of smoothies, but rarely have them in a bowl. It makes a nice change.

9. Chris @thinlyspread

6th May 2016 at 12:59 pm

Gosh, what a BRILLIANT idea! This never occurred to me! I shall have to don my gloves and head out for a forage – very brave of you going without, I can’t stand being stung!

8th May 2016 at 9:26 am

It’s a hazard of living in the countryside Chris and something I had to get used to at a very early age, but it’s not very pleasant. I wear gloves when picking nettles, unlike CT who does it bare handed, but as I was snipping with scissors, I thought I’d be OK!

10. Urvashi

7th May 2016 at 7:16 pm

What a brilliant idea! I went on a foraging walk once and the guide told us how nutritious nettle seeds were. I love your green powder. I’m going to make some for my cafe menu!!

8th May 2016 at 9:11 am

Nettle seeds sound interesting Urvashi, but a bit of a nightmare to collect, I suspect. Love the idea of you using nettle powder in your cafe 🙂

11. Jacqueline Meldrum

11th May 2016 at 3:18 pm

Your nettle powder was such a good idea Choclette and a really nutritious addition to smoothies. Excellent!!!

11th May 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Jac, I feel rather proud of that one 🙂

12. Poppy

19th May 2016 at 10:16 pm

I’m intrigued by your dried orange powder, is this one you made yourself?

19th May 2016 at 10:34 pm

I was going to try doing it myself now I’ve got the dehydrator, but this lot was done by my mother. She dries the peel on the back of the aga and then blitzes it. I use it in smoothies, in bakes and sprinkled on muesli.

13. Agness of Run Agness Run

17th April 2017 at 8:14 pm

I can totally see myself starting the day off with this delicious smoothie, Choclette!

18th April 2017 at 7:57 am

Thanks Agness. At this time of year I can get my nettles fresh, but for most of the year the powder is really useful.

5th May 2017 at 10:29 pm

Thi s is such a clever way to use nettles. I need to get my dehydrator on the go and dry some nettles.

6th May 2017 at 7:32 am

Thanks Janice. I love my nettle powder and use it a lot in smoothies.