Blackberry and White Chocolate Melts

Blackberry & White Chocolate Melt

Pudding, Wild Food | 17th September 2014 | By

When I was leafing through Chantal Coady’s book Rococo: mastering the art of chocolate a few weeks ago, I was struck by her recipe for White Chocolate Heartbreakers – a white chocolate cake served warm with a melting raspberry and white chocolate middle – rather like a chocolate fondant. I bookmarked it straight away as I thought it would be an excellent dessert for the upcoming blackberry season, producing a surprise purple melting middle rather than a pink one.

This was the first time I’ve made a recipe from this book. Annoyingly it was not watertight; the quantities used were inconsistent and some of the methodology didn’t make sense. In fact, I suspect the book suffers from being poorly edited, which is a shame as it’s a marvellous book with lots of fabulous recipe ideas. The index is a shambles. I couldn’t find this recipe indexed under raspberries for instance – in fact I couldn’t find it in the index at all.

Blackberry & White Chocolate Melts

Warning: this recipe uses an awful lot of white chocolate and I only made half the amount! I ended up with 25g of stray chocolate that was unaccounted for in the recipe, so having already cut it up, I incorporated it anyway.  I envisaged the white chocolate would caramelise at the base (which it did), so I put the stray chocolate on the top, hoping it would do the same (which it did). I made the full quantity of the surprise centre as I had designs on it for another recipe – my chocolate blackberry cake. The blackberry melt centre had to be made the night before to allow the mixture to freeze (except it didn’t).

This is how I made:

Blackberry and White Chocolate Melts

• Puréed 125g blackberries with a stick blender, then pressed through a sieve to extract the seeds.
  • Melted 80g white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
  • Added the purée to the bowl and stirred until combined.
  • Filled six ice-cube trays with the mixture and put the remains in the fridge for future use. Froze the mixture overnight.
  • Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan over gently heat.
  • Removed from the heat and added 100g chopped white chocolate. Left for a few minutes then stirred until melted and smooth.
  • Beat in 2 smallish duck eggs (2 largish hens eggs), one at a time with a pinch of Himalayan rock salt and ½ tsp vanilla extract.
  • Sifted in 60g self-raising flour along with 50g ground almonds and stirred gently to incorporate.
  • Chopped another 100g of white chocolate into small pieces and added 50g to the batter.
  • Distributed about 25g of the chopped chocolate between 6 silicone muffin moulds.
  • Covered the chocolate with a spoonful of batter. Placed a frozen blackberry ganache on top of each one, then covered with the remaining batter.
  • Topped with a blackberry and the remaining chopped chocolate.
  • Baked at 160℃ for 30 minutes when the cakes were risen and golden.
Blackberry Melts
Not everything went according to plan and I have a few quibbles with the recipe. The ganache didn’t freeze for a start, so it was difficult to remove from the ice-cube tray. However, the result was still fabulous and these little puds are a decadent and delicious dessert I’d be happy to serve up at any dinner party. As envisaged, the white chocolate base and top caramelised giving another layer of flavour and texture to these gorgeous little puds. The blackberry ganache was a star, even though it erupted all over the cakes and didn’t come out as a neat melting pool of purpleness in the middle. Blackberry and white chocolate volcano cakes would be a more appropriate name and one I shall use next time. Do let me know if you have any more success with the melts than I did.

Sharing

I’m sending this off to Bookmarked Recipes with Jac over at Tinned Tomatoes.

As purple is the theme for Vegetable Palatte this month, I’m also sending these off to Shaheen  over at Allotment 2 Kitchen.

Anything goes for Treat Petite with Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer this month and as it’s their first anniversary something special is required. So these blackberry and white chocolate melts are being shared with them too.

I’ve rather neglected Bake of the Week recently, so I am sending this off to Casa Costella while I remember.

Likewise, I haven’t entered Recipe of the Week for a while either. So A Mummy Too also benefits from one of these Blackberry Volcano Cakes 😉

1. Madeleine Morrow

17th September 2014 at 10:09 am

What a great combination of white chocolate and blackberries. I never quite know what to do with blackberries aside from popping them in apple crumble. Now I have another recipe in the wings.

17th September 2014 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Madeleine – you’d better be quick, blackberry season is nearly over 😉

2. Emma Matthews

17th September 2014 at 1:40 pm

Oh wow these look amazing. Bet they taste great too! You can’t beat chocolate and berries – the best combo!

Emma x

17th September 2014 at 2:01 pm

You are so right Emma, chocolate and berries are a great combination.

3. fashion-mommy

17th September 2014 at 1:04 pm

I know you say not everything went to plan, but they look so tasty.

#UKBloggers

17th September 2014 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment Fashion Mommy.

4. Vohn's Vittles

17th September 2014 at 4:47 pm

Great result that the recipe didn’t work out as planned because the new name you’ve had to give them is fantastic. I’ll bet volcano cakes will be world famous before long!

18th September 2014 at 8:01 am

Ah thanks Vohn. I’m very tempted to go and change the name now.

5. Janice Pattie

17th September 2014 at 6:43 pm

That’s a lovely idea for using blackberries, cute cakes.

18th September 2014 at 8:02 am

Thanks Janice – this year we seem to have an abundance of blackberries, so it’s good to have some different ways of using them.

6. Charlene F

17th September 2014 at 7:57 pm

It’s a shame that the recipe wasn’t quite good, but your cupcakes look delicious 🙂 x

18th September 2014 at 8:02 am

Thanks Charlene – they turned out well despite the recipe 🙂

7. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

17th September 2014 at 9:20 pm

Sounds like an unhelpful book! Its so irritating when the recipe doesn’t add up. Still…. the end result looks delicious regardless and anything with blackberry is beautiful………..

18th September 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks Kate. It’s really strange, it’s a beautiful and expensive book, so I don’t understand why more care wasn’t taken.

8. Fiona @ London-Unattached

18th September 2014 at 6:15 am

it’s an interesting idea – I suspect this comes down to not enough budget to recipe test properly!

18th September 2014 at 8:04 am

Who knows Fiona – it seems very strange as it’s such a beautiful and expensive book.

18th September 2014 at 11:18 am

The idea for the recipe sounds amazing if the actual recipe is a little lacking – I hope you are able to try a few more recipes to see how they hold up – and if they are anything like this one they would be inspired – and hopefully your experience could get around any odd instructions

• Choclette Blogger

27th September 2014 at 10:52 am

I will be using this book again Johanna and it will be interesting to see how it bears up 2nd time around. It does make good bed-time reading and dreaming though.

10. Lou, Eat Your Veg

18th September 2014 at 11:21 am

What a shame the book’s a bit of a shambles but your recipe looks superb and such a gorgeous idea to have a secret centre of white choc and blackberry! Yes please!

• Choclette Blogger

27th September 2014 at 10:54 am

Thanks Lou. I love the idea too and even though they didn’t come out as expected, they were a great contrast of colours and flavours.

11. Jo

18th September 2014 at 4:17 pm

What a shame the recipe didn’t really go to plan but your cakey volcanoes do look lovely. I love the idea of an oozing berry and white chocolate centre. Definitely an idea worth returning to.

• Choclette Blogger

27th September 2014 at 10:55 am

Thanks Jo, yes these are very well worth doing and I have bookmarked them for a future occasion.

12. Angie Schneider

19th September 2014 at 11:51 am

A scrumptious combination of flavours! These muffins look droolworthy.

13. Helen at Casa Costello

21st September 2014 at 8:49 pm

They look wonderful and I delight in the name volcanos! What a shame that you had to do so much work to the original recipe though. Thanks so much for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

• Choclette Blogger

27th September 2014 at 10:56 am

Thanks Helen – I was rather taken with volcano too 🙂

14. Shaheen

6th October 2014 at 4:49 pm

I have never had this combo before and so so want to. The round up should be up later tonight, Thank you so much for being part of VegetablePalette

• Choclette Blogger

6th October 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Shaheen. I’ve just seen the round-up and everything looks so good – purple is a great colour 🙂

15. Ten brilliant blackberry recipes | Foodies 100

28th August 2015 at 10:00 am

[…] you ever tried blackberries with chocolate? Tin & Thyme serves up warm pudding cakes with a melting blackberry and white chocolate […]

16. Healthy Blackberrry Yoghurt Parfait - Eats Amazing

2nd September 2015 at 12:00 am

[…] Blackberry Trifle from Supper in the Suburbs, Blackberry Candy Lollipops from The Hedgecombers, Blackberry & White Chocolate Melts from Tin and Thyme and Baked Camembert with Blackberries & Walnuts from They Called it The […]

17. keto

10th September 2015 at 3:12 pm

Blackberries and white chocolate? You trying to kill me? Hah, those are probably my two favorite sweet things to eat. Haven’t tried them together….yet! Pinned, thank you

11th September 2015 at 10:45 am

It’s a lovely combination Keto as are blackberries and dark chocolate – surprisingly.