Fitting nicely into this month’s We Should Cocoa theme, this cake was actually designed to be the piece de resistance at the cake fest last month and luckily it proved to be so. I wanted something rich and chocolatey yet fudgy with a contrasting flavour. I’d already decided to use my apple and lemon curd to fill the cake and then when I spotted the Treacle chocolate fudge frosting in Short & Sweet, I was away!
Recipe – this is what I did:
- Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 125g cardamom sugar (caster) and 100g molasses sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in 3 duck eggs, alternating with some of the flour.
- Sieved in 200g flour (half wholemeal, half white & a tbsp mesquite powder), 25g cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda and a pinch of salt.
- Stirred this in with 100g fat free Greek yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Spooned into two 22 cm sandwich moulds and baked at 180C for 23 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Left in moulds for 10 mins then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Wrapped in greaseproof paper and left to finish off the next day.
- Heated 50ml milk, 1 tbsp treacle, and 50g light muscovado sugar in a pan.
- Whisked I heaped tbsp of custard powder (I didn’t have any cornflour) and 1 heaped tbsp cocoa into another 50ml of milk until all combined.
- Poured this into the hot milk mixture and whisked until smooth and thick.
- Removed from the heat and stirred in 90g of chopped 60% dark chocolate.
- Beat in a bare tsp of vanilla extract and a bit more than 15g of unsalted butter.
- Carried on beating until smooth and lush – mmmmmm!
- Sandwiched the two cakes with a generous layer of apple and lemon curd.
- Topped with the treacle icing.
- Sprinkled white chocolate stars over the top.
- Sat back and felt smug
Smugness, it seems, never pays. On the rather tortuous journey to the cake destination, the top slid off the bottom! Luckily, I managed to rescue it before it fell on the floor and a near disaster was overted, although it didn’t ever look quite as good as it had once done. As all I got was oohs and aahs, I don’t think anyone noticed!!!