Celebration Chocolate Cake

Fitting nicely into this month’s We Should Cocoa theme, this cake was actually designed to be the piece de resistance at the cake fest last month and luckily it proved to be so. I wanted something rich and chocolatey yet fudgy with a contrasting flavour. I’d already decided to use my apple and lemon curd to fill the cake and then when I spotted the Treacle chocolate fudge frosting in Short & Sweet, I was away!

Recipe – this is what I did:

• Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 125g cardamom sugar (caster) and 100g molasses sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Beat in 3 duck eggs, alternating with some of the flour.
  • Sieved in 200g flour (half wholemeal, half white & a tbsp mesquite powder), 25g cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda and a pinch of salt.
  • Stirred this in with 100g fat free Greek yogurt and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Spooned into two 22 cm sandwich moulds and baked at 180C for 23 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
  • Left in moulds for 10 mins then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
  • Wrapped in greaseproof paper and left to finish off the next day.
  • Heated 50ml milk, 1 tbsp treacle,  and 50g light muscovado sugar in a pan.
  • Whisked I heaped tbsp of custard powder (I didn’t have any cornflour) and 1 heaped tbsp cocoa into another 50ml of milk until all combined.
  • Poured this into the hot milk mixture and whisked until smooth and thick.
  • Removed from the heat and stirred in 90g of chopped 60% dark chocolate.
  • Beat in a bare tsp of vanilla extract and a bit more than 15g of unsalted butter.
  • Carried on beating until smooth and lush – mmmmmm!
  • Sandwiched the two cakes with a generous layer of apple and lemon curd.
  • Topped with the treacle icing.
  • Sprinkled white chocolate stars over the top.
  • Sat back and felt smug

Smugness, it seems, never pays. On the rather tortuous journey to the cake destination, the top slid off the bottom! Luckily, I managed to rescue it before it fell on the floor and a near disaster was overted, although it didn’t ever look quite as good as it had once done. As all I got was oohs and aahs, I don’t think anyone noticed!!!

A truly delicious cake, the molasses sugar gave a fudgy consistency, the lemon curd a nice contrast and the treacle frosting finished it all off perfectly. The icing was so good, I could have happily eaten the bowlful all by myself and then probably been sick. Luckily for me, that wasn’t an option.

1. sophiesfoodiefiles

15th November 2011 at 9:22 am

What a festive & appetizing fabulously looking cake! It is also huge & very pretty! 🙂

MMMMMMMMMM,…! 🙂

2. Rolling Pin Claire

15th November 2011 at 9:31 am

I would never think of trying a treacle icing, but it’s definitely worked on this cake. It looks amazing, it really does.

3. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

15th November 2011 at 10:05 am

stunning!… love the recipe… love the little stars too!

4. Jennifer

15th November 2011 at 10:14 am

This sounds utterly delicious, especially the apple lemon curd. I must make some of this and the cake.

5. Hannah

15th November 2011 at 11:26 am

Looks fab and the treacle icing sounds delicious! How did the apple stand up against such strong flavours?

6. Foodycat

15th November 2011 at 12:51 pm

Transporting cakes is so nerve-wracking. Your icing is so glossy!

7. Baking Addict

15th November 2011 at 1:30 pm

Amazing looking cake!! Love the flavour combinations here. I’d happily eat all the icing myself too! Must give this a try especially since I’ve now got treacle in my cupboards. Top tip I learnt from caked crusader about transporting layer cakes – wrap parchment paper around the cake and secure with a clip

8. Katie

15th November 2011 at 4:16 pm

I love the sound of all those flavours together – Lemon, Choc and treacle. Would never have though of doing that but I suppose its a twist on a sort of gingerbread. Looks stunning too

9. Suelle

15th November 2011 at 5:34 pm

Lovely looking cake but a very unusual combination of flavours. Chocolate and lemon is another pair that I’m not convinced about, so chocolate, apple and lemon is stretching things a bit for me – you’ll have to send me a slice to convince me! 😉

10. Gloria

15th November 2011 at 5:52 pm

Kove this cake, look delicious and amazing! gloria

11. Cakefairyblog

15th November 2011 at 7:44 pm

Ohh this sounds lovely. The contrast with the lemon and apple cured, I bet, is delicious!

12. peasepudding

15th November 2011 at 7:46 pm

It looks gorgeous and I love the sound of that treacle topping and an apple lemon filling…wow

13. Phil in the Kitchen

15th November 2011 at 10:28 pm

Great celebration cake. Treacle is a much-maligned and underused ingredient – I must use more of it.

14. Working london mummy

15th November 2011 at 10:58 pm

Very pretty , and I do love molasses sugar – as you say a lovely fudge consistency. am sure it tasted as yum as it looks!

15. Susan's blog

15th November 2011 at 11:17 pm

That’s very, very nice indeed; lucky folks who got to sample it, must try the topping recommendation from Dan’s book too.

16. Jo

16th November 2011 at 1:29 am

Oh my, this cake looks the business. I love the idea of a fudgy treacle icing contrasted with the zesty curd filling. I’ve been meaning to make that curd but still haven’t done it!

17. Mary

16th November 2011 at 6:34 am

Thank goodness you were able to save the cake. It really looks wonderful. We will be entertaining 16 adults on Thanksgiving Day. They are all hearty eaters. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

18. thelittleloaf

16th November 2011 at 9:14 am

I’ve not yet tried the treacle fudge frosting from S&S but it sounds (and look!) amazing. Really thick, luxurious and comforting – what a gorgeous cake.

19. Paula

16th November 2011 at 5:07 pm

Ooh lovely…really like the sound of that treacle icing! 🙂 xx

20. Sarah, Maison Cupcake

16th November 2011 at 7:48 pm

Wow! Chocolate treacle frosting sounds amazing! No wonder you felt smug… what a tragedy afterwards though!

21. cityhippyfarmgirl

17th November 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh oh OHHHH! that’s what I would have said on discovering the top sliding off. I’m glad it was still delicious.
    Looks gorgeous Choclette

17th November 2011 at 2:39 pm

Sophie – you are lovely 🙂

Claire – that’s the wonder of Dan, he comes up with some very surprising combinations.

Dom – aww thanks!

Jennifer – would love to hear what you think if you do make either or both.

Hannah – the apple curd stood up really well as it had a tart fruity note which was quite different – really good combination.

FoodyCat – yes, I think I need to get some better techniques 🙁

Baking Addict – would love you to try this. Thanks for the tip, it’s a good one.

Katie – thanks. Sort of, although gingerbread without the ginger 😉

Suelle – I think that might be the only way 😉

Gloria – thank you.

Cake Fairy – Thanks, it was delicious. I actually got to try that one.

Peasepudding – thank you, it’s a wonderful must try topping.

Phil – so is molasses, might try that next time.

WLM – thank you. I reckon it was one of the best I’ve made so far.

Susan – luckily I got to try a bit of this one and it was damn fine 🙂 Isn’t Dan’s book fabulous?

Jo – apples are still in season – you have time 😉

Mary – thank you and thank you for replying. That does sound quite a lot of food to prepare. Good Luck. I’m sure it will all be delicious.

Little Loaf – you have that treat to look forward to then 😉

Paula – thank you.

Sarah – he he, pride and all that …..!

CityHippy – you are more restrained that me 😉

23. C

17th November 2011 at 10:59 pm

Sounds amazing Choclette – I’d love a slice of that! Glad you managed to snatch it from the jaws of disaster/the floor! I really liked the treacle chocolate frosting from S&S, glad to hear that you did too. It was really odd to make though, the way it thickened. Defo one to be repeated.

24. celia

18th November 2011 at 6:49 pm

Beautiful cake, Choclette! Glad you saved it from disaster! A friend once told me to hold layers together with wooden skewers (of course, then you have to be careful when you slice it!).

25. Kim

18th November 2011 at 7:09 pm

Looks and sounds yummy – a really interesting combo of flavours! I tried treacle frosting recently on an apple & walnut cake but bet it would be even nicer on a chocolate one!

18th November 2011 at 10:08 pm

Looks quite beautiful.

27. Maggie

20th November 2011 at 3:23 pm

I would eat this anytime it looks so delicious. Both the topping and filling sound wonderful.

28. Lottie @ Lottiesworld

20th November 2011 at 5:48 pm

I love the stars, and it sounds so delicious!

21st November 2011 at 6:10 pm

C – thank you. It is a lovely topping and I shall be using it again for sure. I couldn’t find where you’d used it on your blog, will have to go back for another look.

Celia – thank you for that tip, although knowing me, I’d make a complete mess of the cake if I tried putting skewers through 😉

Kim – apple and walnut sounds good to me.

Janice – thank you 😮

Maggie – thank you, it was a bit of a winner, if I do say so myself!

Lottie – thank you.

30. Julia

21st November 2011 at 11:20 pm

Ooo, very pretty cake! I just want to stick my face in it!

26th November 2011 at 4:50 pm

Julia – Don’t let me stop you 😉

32. mslisk

5th December 2011 at 8:21 pm

Choclette you are a lifesaver! Thank you so much for this suggestion, I made it for a birthday party this weekend and it was (and I quote) a ‘triumph’! Being a novice baker I was quite nervous and all the recipe books cakes looked daunting or uninspiring, but having a recommendation to try this one was great. I loved the stars which look fab, unfortunately couldn’t find any myself so I supplemented with gold sprinkle stars which looked quite classy! Also doubled up the recipe and ended up with three tiers, which added to the effect. Thanks again, very much enjoying the leftovers!

5th December 2011 at 9:48 pm

MsLisk – Thanks for letting me know. So glad it worked out well for you. Three layers and gold stars makes it sound super special.

34. Maya Russell

25th July 2013 at 7:13 am

The lemon curd in it is interesting. Thanks for the recipe.