Fruit vinegars make a wonderful addition to many dishes. Vinegar captures the essence of the fruit beautifully reminding us of the season in which it was harvested. This blackcurrant vinegar gives a flavoursome tang to sauces, salads and desserts. It goes particularly well with beetroot. A little poured over simple vanilla ice-cream gives a real wow factor and mixed with water, it makes a refreshing drink.
- 250 ml cabernet sauvignon red wine vinegar
- 200g blackcurrants
- 100g golden granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- Place all ingredients in a sealed jar and give a good shake.
- Leave to macerate for a month or more, shaking every other day.
- Drain the liquid through a fine sieve and pour into sterilised bottles.
- The longer the blackcurrants can macerate the better the flavour will be.
- Fills 3 X 140ml bottles.
This is also going to Ren Behan for Simple and in Season and even though blackcurrants are now over, blackberries could be used instead.
Some other flavoured vinegar recipes you might like
- Elderflower vinegar – The Ordinary Cook
- Spiced chocolate balsamic vinegar – Tin and Thyme
- Strawberry balsamic vinegar – United Cakedom