Sticky Toffee Chocolate Puddings – Random Recipes 15

Pudding | 28th April 2012 | By

It’s Dom’s second anniversary at Belleau Kitchen this month and to help him celebrate he asked us all to randomly select a recipe from one of our baking books. Hooray. This narrowed things down and made the task somewhat easier as I didn’t have to search through every bookshelf and stack in the house. Including my chocolate books, this gave me twenty in total. I asked CT to choose a number and as it was Friday the 13th at the time, 13 was the number he chose. Luckily 13 was my lovely grandmother’s lucky number, so I don’t feel in the least bit filled with gloom by this particular integer. And I was right not to be gloom filled as the book turned out to be Green & Black’s Ultimate. Flicking through the pages with my eyes closed I landed on a recipe for pudding – Chocolate Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake to be precise. Given that there is often a piece of cake lying around the house to be had, I rarely make puddings, but a friend coming over for supper a couple of night’s ago provided the perfect opportunity.

This very friend had persuaded me just a few days before to buy these cheery little ramekin dishes when we were out and about. So rather than make one large cakey pudding as suggested, it seemed more apt to make individual ones and use these colourful ramekins. As we still had quite a bit of cake left over from my first Clandestine Cake Club event, I only made half of the amount specified in the book.

This is how I did it:

• Chopped 75g dried dates and placed in a medium sized saucepan.
  • Poured on 150ml boiling water and simmered for a few minutes with the lid on. Turned the heat off and left to soak whilst I found and greased my ramekin dishes.
  • Added 50g unsalted butter, 75g light Muscovado sugar and 75g dark chocolate (85%) and left those to melt.
  • Sifted 120g wholemeal spelt into a mixing bowl with 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda. Made a well in the centre.
  • Stirred the chocolate mixture until all incorporated then poured into the flour and mixed.
  • Broke in 2 smallish duck eggs (probably medium hens eggs) and beat well with my wooden spoon.
  • Spooned into the ramekin dishes filling them to just over 3/4 – I also had enough to nearly fill to mini loaf moulds.
  • Baked for 20 minutes at 180C.
  • Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan with 2 large tbsp golden syrup.
  • Stirred in 100g light Muscovado sugar.
  • Poured in 100ml double cream and stirred.
  • Bought to a simmer and let it bubble for a few minutes, stirring from time to time.
  • Poured some toffee sauce over each of the puddings as soon as they were out of the oven.
  • Spent an inordinate amount of time trying to take a photograph in the gloom without a flash until everyone was well and truly fed up with me.
Luckily the puddings were still warm and quite delicious. The dates and spelt combined to give them quite a chewy texture and substantial presence, just what was needed for the damp and cool weather we are experiencing. The sponge wasn’t overly sweet, so the toffee sauce was by no means saccharine overkill.
Tags: ,

1. A Trifle Rushed

28th April 2012 at 11:13 am

Scrumptious! Every time I look at your blog my mouth waters, such delectable puddings!

2. Green Dragonette

28th April 2012 at 1:02 pm

Chocolate and sticky toffee-oh my goodness….

3. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

28th April 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oooh. Sticky Toffee Pudding! Divine!! I live the brightly coloured ramekins too. They just look so summery and fresh which we really need now eh? These are such a yummy treat and they happen to be The Vikings favourite pudding I may just make them for him if he’s nice! Thanks so much for joining in the celebrations with me. Xx

28th April 2012 at 2:23 pm

I just love sticky toffee pudding – and I am sure chocolate would work with it so well – I often serve dinner and then spend far too long photographing my own serving but I think that making the others wait for this pudding was probably wise and saved them burning their tongue on puddings straight out of the oven! See, blogging is kind – ha ha!

5. Vanessa @ Cakes and Teacups

28th April 2012 at 2:38 pm

Oh geez!!! I loveeee, loveeee, loveeeee sticky toffee pudding! Thank you for sharing your recipe. Bookmarked it!

6. Caroline

28th April 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh yum! They look delicious. I had sticky toffee pudding recently and was reminded of how much I like it. I bet chocolate is a great addition. Green and Black’s Ultimate is a great recipe book isn’t it – I like to just browse and imagine all the deliciousness! Love your little ramekins too – where did you get them from?

7. Angela

28th April 2012 at 7:26 pm

Looks lovely. I am afraid I missed out on Random Recipes this time as life got rudely in the way. It is nice to see that other people made:)

8. Javelin Warrior

29th April 2012 at 2:55 am

I’ve never had sticky pudding of any kind, but a chocolate version sounds like the way to go – and I hate taking photos. It’s the bane of my blogging experience. 😉 A very creative and RR for Dom’s 2nd anniversary…

9. cityhippyfarmgirl

29th April 2012 at 6:07 am

now I’ve got a thing for lovely little ramekins and these are just lovely. Glad your friend convinced you to buy them Choc. Extra added goodness of the sticky puddings being in there too 🙂

10. Lauralovescakes

29th April 2012 at 8:26 am

These look gorgeous…suitably sticky! I love the ramekins too! I think sticky toffee puddng must be everyone’s favourite but I’ve never tried a chocolate version! 🙂

11. Kit @ i-lostinausten

29th April 2012 at 10:43 am

YUM! These looks delicious! Great idea using individual ramekins. 🙂

12. Debs @ The Spanish Wok

29th April 2012 at 12:53 pm

These sound sooooo delicious.

I have added your event to my blogger event list, here

13. Alida

29th April 2012 at 2:10 pm

These are so yummy and I have never made them before. Thank you for this lovely recipe X

14. Gloria

29th April 2012 at 2:51 pm

look amazing love chocolate pudding!

15. The Caked Crusader

29th April 2012 at 4:08 pm

Oh yum – send one (or two) this way please!

16. MissCakeBaker

29th April 2012 at 6:13 pm

Wow delicious! X

17. chrisreid

29th April 2012 at 10:23 pm

The puds look lovely, like you said just what you want on a wet miserable day.

18. thelittleloaf

30th April 2012 at 9:51 am

Sticky toffee pudding is probably one of my favourite desserts in the whole wide world. I don’t like tampering with what I know and love, but the idea of adding chocolate to them does sound deliciously decadent!

19. GG

30th April 2012 at 3:57 pm

Great dessert, really rich and chocolaty. GG

30th April 2012 at 8:10 pm

Ha! I’ve just commented on Lavender and Lovage about my favourite pudding – Sticky Toffee Pudding and here you are mkaing it even better by adding chocolate! Love the bright ramekins too.

21. Sanchita

1st May 2012 at 7:44 pm

Delicious ! I got to try this! I love the different colour ramekins you have used. Beautiful!

22. JaynesDen

13th March 2013 at 11:12 am

Yum. A recipe I can use those ramekins for ! The ones that have been lying at the back of the cupboard for so long.