Chocolate Marzipan Cheesecake – Random Recipes 14

Dessert | 25th March 2012 | By

When Dom of Belleau Kitchen asked me to pick a number for his always exciting Random Recipes challenge, I was away from home and unable to follow his exact instructions – that’s my excuse anyway. So instead of counting my books, I picked my lucky number 17 instead. It seems that any blame for what you get sits on my shoulders this month – nice one Dom!

As Dom had honoured me by getting to pick the special number, I thought I really ought to try and do this challenge without cheating. NOT, I hasten to add, that I normally cheat; I’ve just interpreted the challenge to refer to my chocolate cook books only. But not this time, I was going to be intrepid and include all of my many cookbooks scattered around the house, open a page randomly and then take the first chocolate recipe that followed from the page I landed on. If, I reasoned, I got a book that had, god forbid, no chocolate recipes, I would move on to the next book.

Hoist by my own petard. No. 17 for me was Low-Carb Vegetarian by Celia Brooks Brown. Being a bit of a carb junkie, this book has been languishing on my shelves for many years largely unused. And what I got was something that sounded really quite strange – chocolate marzipan cheesecake. It doesn’t seem like an obvious match made in heaven, but I love marzipan, I love cheesecake, so why not?

CT also loves cheesecake and as he is going through a particularly tough time of it, I was hoping that this would be a welcome treat for him.

Reading through the recipe, I was rather dubious about a couple of things, both revolving around a loose-based cake tin. As some of you know, I’m a big fan of silcone moulds which has really made baking life sooooo much easier. I used to be put off by having to line tins, it just seemed one step too far. Now I don’t even think about it – not very often anyway. Cheesecake I felt really couldn’t be done in a silicone mould so I’d have to chance it using the stated tin. Firstly it didn’t say anything about greasing or lining the tin, so I hoped that only greasing it would be OK. Secondly, I was worried that the butter would just melt and leak out all over the oven. I did prepare for this eventuality by putting the tin on a baking tray just in case.

This is how I made my first ever baked cheesecake:

• Melted 50g unsalted butter in a medium sized pan.
  • Added 100g ground almonds, 2 tbsp Rapadura (my chosen sweetener), a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and a couple of drops of almond extract.
  • Mixed together than pressed down into a buttered 20″ round loose-based cake tin.
  • Placed in the fridge to set.
  • Melted 150g Green&Black’s dark 72% cooks’ chocolate in a bowl over hot water and left to cool a little.
  • Threw 250g mascarpone, 250g cream cheese, 2 duck eggs and 6 level tbsp of Rapadura (my chosen sweetener) into a bowl and beat with electric beaters until all combined.
  • Beat in the melted chocolate.
  • Spooned the mixture over the marzipan and levelled the top.
  • Baked at 150C for 50 minutes.

I was quite right, the butter leaked out all over the baking sheet. The top also cracked, not nice delicate cracks, but great fissures that really didn’t look very attractive. But it did come out of the tin without sticking too much and it was really quite delicious, in fact very delicious. The filling was smooth, creamy and comfortingly chocolatey. The base was chewy, slightly almondy and really rather nice. The two made for quite a delightful contrast and certainly didn’t detract from each other’s flavours. CT was very well pleased with it and it kept him going for some time.

Having heard so many horror stories about baked cheesecakes, I am really thrilled how well this turned out – what are a few fissures between friends anyway?

And as this is the month of mad March baking and contains Marzipan and Mascarpone as main ingredients I am also submitting this to the second ever Alpha Bakes where the letter is M. This is hosted by Caroline Makes this month, but alternates with Ros of The more than occasional baker.

1. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

25th March 2012 at 10:39 am

Wow. Chocolate marzipan cheesecake is a new one on me but it sounds incredible. Those cracks have always appeared on baked cheesecakes I’ve made so don’t worry too much. I’m glad it cheered CT up. A good cheesecake should always cheer people up. Glad you got to use a rarely used book and I’m loving your random picking style… Whatever works eh? Thanks again for always taking part with such gusto!

26th March 2012 at 7:18 pm

Gusto girl, that’s me – especially when it comes to eating!!! Very pleased to hear that crack are perfectly acceptable 🙂

25th March 2012 at 11:02 am

Your cheesecake looks lovely – I haven’t had baked cheesecake for ages but I would love a piece of yours – just to break the drought, you know! I am also a fan of silicone and using chocolate to cheer myself or anyone else up!

26th March 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thank you Johanna – great minds and all that 😉

3. Baking Addict

25th March 2012 at 1:56 pm

Thank you so much for entering this to AlphaBakes. Marzipan is a great unusual ‘M’. Your cheesecake looks delicious and I would love to have some but I don’t like marzipan. I think fissures are a sign of a great baked cheesecake… well that’s what I tell myself anyway! 🙂 I have not dared to count my books yet as I’m running out of time for random recipes but if I do I definitely know who to blame 😉

26th March 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Ros for the vote of confidence in my cheesecake and then the vote of blame 😉

• Baking Addict

31st March 2012 at 12:40 am

I really do have to lay blame on your shoulders as I picked my dreaded nemesis … macarons! Luckily they weren’t as disastrous as last time so thank you 🙂

4. Katie

25th March 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wow that looks gorgeous. I’ve never thought of using marzipan in a cheesecake, but I adore marzipan so will have to give this a go. I loved baked cheesecakes, they are so much more fudgey. Yours looks a treat, you’ll have to experiment some more!

26th March 2012 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Katie, it really was rather good – very different to an unbaked one, though I like those too.

5. Caroline

25th March 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’ve only made baked cheesecakes a couple of times, but oh yum! A chocolate version sounds lovely and all I’d have to do would be to find a different base 🙂 It looks deliciously fudgy.

26th March 2012 at 7:33 pm

Now I know it’s ok to have cracks, I will be more than happy to make this again, it was scrumilicious.And yes, this would be really good on a normal biscuit base.

6. Kit @ i-lostinausten

25th March 2012 at 7:35 pm

YUM! Looks heavenly & a very interesting recipe using marzipan. I preferred using silicone moulds too but for both my cheesecake I’ve used spring form pan. Don’t really have a choice actually. But anyway these chocolate marzipan cheesecake looks great & I’m sure it taste heavenly too. Have a nice day! 🙂

26th March 2012 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Kit – hmmm, not sure how, be we need some sort of a silicone spring form pan!!!

7. avillagepantry

25th March 2012 at 7:15 pm

I think it looks absolutely delicious, cracked or not 😉 Ive made baked cheesecakes a few times and not a fan, but anything with 70% chocolate could convince me. This one certainly sounds like a persuader. Have also awarded you with the ABC – Awesome Blogger Award because you’re blog is quite awesome!

26th March 2012 at 8:09 pm

Oh thank you Sheelagh that is very kind – cheesecake and award comments both. I shall have to start thinking seriously about X now!!!

8. Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

25th March 2012 at 8:02 pm

Mmmmmm – looks fab. I love the sound of the marzipan in there.

26th March 2012 at 8:10 pm

I was a bit dubious about marzipan to begin with, even though I love it, but it worked much better than I thought it would.

9. teawithhazel

25th March 2012 at 9:17 pm

well..i adore cheesecake..i think it’s well overdue for a comeback..and i adore marzipan..what a great combo..

26th March 2012 at 8:11 pm

Oh dear Hazel, am I a little behind the times? Hadn’t realised cheesecake had gone away!

10. celia

26th March 2012 at 3:13 am

I can’t believe anyone named Celia would write a low carb cookbook.. 😀

I get big cracks on the top of my ricotta cakes as well, and I think it makes them even tastier. I’m sure your baked cheesecake was the same, Choc!

26th March 2012 at 8:13 pm

You’re quite right Celia, I was a little shocked! And now I know cracks are perfectly respectable, i can stop worrying about it 😉 Really like the idea of trying a ricotta one.

11. thelittleloaf

26th March 2012 at 8:18 am

When I saw the title of this post I thought I might not like it because of the marzipan…but it just sounds like delicious chocolaty almondy goodness. I find cooking cheesecake in a water bath usually helps to prevent cracking, but unless you’re working as a pastry chef it doesn’t really matter – they still taste as good!

27th March 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh littleloaf, are you not a fan of marzipan? Thanks for your words of encouragement. I don’t think I’d ever have the patience to be a pastry chef!

12. Kath

26th March 2012 at 8:28 am

Well, you have sold me, as you know I am a big fan of both chocolate and marzipan. It sounds absolutely delicious. I hope things get better for CT soon. x

27th March 2012 at 8:08 pm

Kath, we could have sliced it up between the two of us, but I don’t think that would have helped CT. Thanks for the good wishes. His pain should be over soon (lots of crossing fingers going on)!

13. laura@howtocookgoodfood

26th March 2012 at 8:04 pm

The cracks would not bother me in the least, after all it’s the flout that counts. This is my kind of cheesecake, loving the sound of the marzipan base topped with lots of chocolate richness. Also, like Celia Brooks Brown as I have tried lots of her recipes from the “Books For Cooks” recipe books! xx

1st April 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thanks Laura. it’s funny since making this, I keep coming across CBB’s name all over the place. Interesting you have one of her books too.

14. Javelin Warrior

26th March 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’m so glad it turned out for you and what a unique recipe – you’re right, I never would have put chocolate and marzipan together… As for cheesecakes, I love them but I’ve never managed to bake one that did NOT crack 😉 And really, who does care? The best part is eating it!

1st April 2012 at 7:04 pm

Yay JW, I’m getting into the idea that cracks are good 😉

15. Clare

27th March 2012 at 7:52 pm

Wow, this sounds (and looks) like the most delicious cake ever! I love marzipan and chocolate and cheesecake! yum! I think I’ll have to make this!

1st April 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thanks Clare. Do let me know what you think if you do make it.

16. Susan's blog

27th March 2012 at 8:12 pm

I know baked cheesecakes are not suppose to crack but I love it when they do…its one of little things, so cracks is good in my book. An unusual recipe here that looks very tempting. x

1st April 2012 at 7:10 pm

Susan, you’ve all convinced me that cracks are GOOD – hooray!