We Should Cocoa #69 – The May 2016 Challenge

I’m a bit of a flapjack devotee. Flapjacks were one of the first bakes I ever made by myself and as they were full of oats, they weren’t too frowned upon. Actually I’m a fan of pretty much anything with oats in. I was bought up with proper oatmeal porridge slow cooked overnight in the aga. So I’m a bit astonished to find that after 68 months of We Should Cocoa we’ve never had oats as the ingredient chosen to accompany chocolate.

We Should Cocoa BadgeLet this be remedied right away. This merry month of may is going to be all about OATS. Oats come in many forms: sprouted, whole, flour, oatmeal, so don’t feel limited to rolled oats alone. Chocolate in one of its various forms must be one of the main ingredients, but whether it’s flapjacks, a smoothie, granola, cake or something else is entirely up to you.

Just in case you need an oaty inspiration, you can see some of my oat recipes. I can’t be the only one who is keen on flapjacks as these raspberry and white chocolate flapjacks are one of my most popular posts.

If you haven’t caught up with April’s red or pink round-up which was kindly hosted by Helen at Casa Costello, do take a look. If you fancy guest hosting one month, please do get in touch.

Here’s a reminder of the guidelines for entering #WeShouldCocoa:

1. Post your recipe on your blog – accompanying photographs would be nice. Do please make sure you have permission to use any photos that are not your own.
  2. Mention “We Should Cocoa” in your post and link back to Tin and Thyme.
  3. Only one entry per challenge please and it must be posted this month.
  4. Entry is via linky at the bottom of the post.
  5. Entries should be submitted no later than midnight of the 28th.
  6. The round up of entries will be posted on or before the last day of the month.
  7. Please use the #weshouldcocoa hashtag on Twitter and I will endeavour to retweet.
  8. Feel free to add your entry to the We Should Cocoa group board on Pinterest. If you are not already a member and would like to join, please ask me, Choclette.
  9. By linking up you are giving consent for your image to be included in the monthly round up as well as possibly being shared on social media channels such as Twitter and Pinterest.

1. Elizabeth

1st May 2016 at 11:47 am

I can hardly believe oats have never been included as a challenge theme either! I will get my thinking cap on for this month. 🙂

1st May 2016 at 4:11 pm

Splendid Elizabeth. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

2. Kate Ford

1st May 2016 at 4:11 pm

Ooh, you’ve made me want to make some choc-chip flapjacks! Great theme – watch this space…!

1st May 2016 at 4:59 pm

Oh right Kate. I shall be watching … very closely 😉

3. Rebecca

1st May 2016 at 4:11 pm

Fantastic! We are big oat fans as well. Flapjacks are a recent discovery for me and I’m crazy for them!

1st May 2016 at 4:58 pm

Great to have you on board, as ever Rebecca. Always appreciated. I’ve never quite grasped what flapjacks mean to Americans, but I know it’s not the same as what we Brits mean 😉

• Rebecca

2nd May 2016 at 11:56 pm

Ha ha! Yes, by “flapjacks” we in the US usually mean pancakes or griddle cakes. Your flapjacks are more similar to our granola bars, but a softer consistency and more oat-y.

3rd May 2016 at 8:23 am

I agree, similar, but different. They are generally sweeter than what we’d term a granola bar too, as those are considered to be healthy.

4. Cuisine Fiend

2nd May 2016 at 8:12 pm

Hi Choclette, I’m keen to participate with my OATS. Are breads all right or do the entries have to be cake and choc-related?

2nd May 2016 at 8:21 pm

As long as oats and chocolate feature as main ingredients, you can make anything you like. It would be great to have a bread entry – look forward to it 🙂

5. Cuisine Fiend

2nd May 2016 at 9:16 pm

Right – forgot that small detail, chocolate… A bit of a challenge to include it in bread! See what I can do;-)

3rd May 2016 at 8:29 am

I made a chocolate, chilli and lime loaf once. I seem to remember it being rather good. Now you’ve reminded me, I might have to try it again.

6. Cuisine Fiend

3rd May 2016 at 8:51 am

Yes, it would have to be a tea bread. Yours sounds very nice indeed.

3rd May 2016 at 9:11 am

No, mine was a full on savoury yeasted loaf, but with a few chunks of dark chocolate in it. I keep meaning to try a loaf with the chocolate melted into it, but as with many of my plans, it hasn’t come to fruition yet 😉

7. Cuisine Fiend

3rd May 2016 at 9:43 am

I see – I’ve made this black bread with treacle and cocoa, it might have been similar and was certainly interesting.

3rd May 2016 at 10:23 am

Oh gosh, that’s quite different and with vegetables too. Sounds very interesting. Here’s my chocolate, chilli lime bread – /2010/05/chocolate-chilli-lime-bread/

8. Cuisine Fiend

3rd May 2016 at 11:05 am

That sounds like a good combination and something I’d like to try out:-)

9. Emily C

3rd May 2016 at 11:41 am

A fantastic round up! I must get involved more! Will get thinking about oats recipes… xx

3rd May 2016 at 1:05 pm

It would be great to have you involved in #WeShouldCocoa Emily – oats and chocolate are such a great combination 🙂