Real Chocolate Brownies – We Should Cocoa #42

As some of you have probably gathered, this month We Should Cocoa has teamed up with Random Recipes for a decadent extravaganza of chocolatey love. My pick really was decadent. I decided to put all of my books into the mix as most of them will have a chocolate recipe or two. I adopted my usual method of generating a random number and then used Eat Your Books to get the selection. Real Chocolate by Chantal Coady was the result. CT did the honours of picking a page number and low and behold I got a nice easy recipe, Chocolate Brownies – hooray. Not only do I love to eat brownies, but they are a joy to make too. Simple and quick, but with delicious results. The recipe originated from someone called Mandy who married an Italian and went to live in Italy. All I can say is, if she took this recipe with her, she will have made herself one very popular woman.

Full of butter, sugar and eggs, this recipe looked decidedly wicked. It was tempered a little by lots of bitter cocoa powder and the addition of walnuts. I tempered it further by using wholemeal spelt flour rather than white or even my usual half and half. I’ve always found wholemeal works well in brownies, adding somehow to the fudgy consistency and taking a slight edge off the guilt factor. I halved the quantities as best as I was able as just looking at the mega amount of sugar (675g) nearly gave me a heart attack. Despite this, I still managed to produce 16 pieces that were big enough to satisfy without feeling you’d overdosed.

I made these to take with us to a friend’s where we were going for dinner. Somewhat annoyingly I under-baked the brownies. I say somewhat, because actually I much prefer an under-baked brownie to an over-baked one and usually by the next day they have firmed up to form an exceptionally good squidgy brownie. However, as I made these shortly before leaving, I didn’t feel I could take along a plateful of dripping goo, so I took the edge pieces and left the middle ones at home for us – that’s my excuse anyway.

This is how I made:

Real Chocolate Brownies

• Melted 175g unsalted butter in a pan over a low heat.
  • Whisked in 70g of G&B cocoa powder and left to cool a little.
  • In a large bowl whisked 3 duck eggs with 330g caster sugar and 1½ tsp vanilla extract until all incorporated.
  • Folded in 125g wholemeal spelt flour.
  • Carefully stirred in the butter mixture followed by the 100g chopped walnuts until just incorporated.
  • Spooned into an 8″ (20cm) sq cake mould and baked at 180°C for 25 minutes (although 30 would have been better).
  • Left to cool then cut into 16 squares.

The brownies were some of the best I’ve made in a while, they were beautifully fudgy  and tasted devine. What more can I say?

I am submitting this to the joint We Should Cocoa and Random Recipe challenge with myself and Dom over at Belleau Kitchen.

I’m very excited to have duck eggs available again – those lazy ducks like to have an extended Christmas holiday I’ve noticed – several months. Anyway to mark this bake made with duck eggs from a local small holding which has real free ranging birds, I am submitting this to Shop Local over at Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.

Tags:

1. belleau kitchen

17th February 2014 at 2:45 pm

i am SO completely with you there, I love a gooey brownie that has set the next day, I put mine in the fridge and they go all fudgy… oh hell yes!… your brownies look so delicious and I was wondering what you would pick for this challenge…. and lucky you to have a plate to come home to too… hope you’re not too wet and oozing (like your brownies) thanks for being a really fun partner this month xx

17th February 2014 at 3:10 pm

It’s been a real pleasure Dom. Setting brownies in the fridge for faster consumption is an ace idea. Although, I have to confess I have been known to eat them warm and gooey straight from the oven.

It’s a bit soggy and the house has sprung a few leaks, but thankfully there is no flooding around our way.

2. hungryhinny

17th February 2014 at 3:02 pm

675g of sugar?! I don’t think I could ever bring myself to bake something with that much in, but even halved they look like pretty hefty chunks of brownie! Bit sad they traveled to Truro but none made it to my door…

17th February 2014 at 3:12 pm

Yes, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the sugar too. Truro Nat? No, it was the ancient capital of Cornwall, Launceston we were off to (one of the many).

3. Karen S Booth

17th February 2014 at 3:15 pm

I LOVE gooey brownies and these look LUSH! What a GREAT RR and WSC recipe, I must make mine soon! Karen

17th February 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Karen. Looks like the gooey brownie camp is in the ascendent – for the moment anyway 😉

4. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

17th February 2014 at 6:00 pm

It was the perfect excuse. Gonna try that next time..

17th February 2014 at 9:07 pm

Haha, well you have to try 😉

5. Catherine

17th February 2014 at 9:03 pm

These look wonderful. I like the brownies gooey and rich.
    Perfect that you had some of these left over to enjoy at home.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

17th February 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Catherine, I suspect secretly most of us like them like that.

6. Jacqueline Meldrum

17th February 2014 at 9:25 pm

I love fudgey brownies. They should always be fudgey & never cakey in my opinion. You can’t beat them

7. Fish fingers for tea

17th February 2014 at 9:40 pm

Gooey all the way for me! I tend to underbake mine as well and either sling them in the fridge or just leave them until the next day, fudginess guaranteed!

8. Madeleine Morrow

17th February 2014 at 10:28 pm

You can come round to mine for dinner anytime with a plate of these! Lovely

9. The Kitchenmaid

18th February 2014 at 3:45 am

Yes, I’m an under-baker too – you can always set very underbaked ones in the freezer (though the discovery that they taste good frozen will set you on the path to wrack and ruin!) Love this mash-up with Random Recipes, but I can’t find the linky for the life of me. Can you help?

10. prwilson

18th February 2014 at 4:02 am

Oh, wow, they look amazing.

11. Alexandra Bellavista

18th February 2014 at 8:34 am

gonna try next time..gnammy!

12. Sylvia F.

18th February 2014 at 11:12 am

Since I made my first brownie I’m craving more! Yours looks scrumptious!

18th February 2014 at 12:10 pm

675g of sugar – youch! halving makes recipes seem so much more approachable – these brownies look fantastic – hope your leftovers sliced up nicely the next day. I am not sure I will manage WSC this month – most of my baking recently is to satisfy lunchbox requirements and they are tough 🙂 plus I am not good with random recipes – much as I love the event.

14. Jane Sarchet

18th February 2014 at 1:37 pm

Yum, yum, slurp 🙂
    Janie x

15. vohnmcg.com

18th February 2014 at 8:04 pm

YUM! I love squidgy brownies and these look heavenly! Vohn x

16. cupcake girl

18th February 2014 at 10:39 pm

I love brownies, yours look delicious I like the idea of having some nuts in there. I totally get what you mean about the underbaking and them being ready for the next day. I made some salted caramel brownies the other day and to leave them overnight they were too squidgy but very yummy!

17. Susan Lindquist

18th February 2014 at 11:57 pm

The gooey-er the better, as I detest a brownie pan with too crisped edges … these look pretty darn good,dearie! Now all we need is the vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and walnuts! Brownie Sundae , anyone ??? Yum!

18. fiona maclean

19th February 2014 at 1:31 pm

so I wonder what the ratio of chicken eggs to duck eggs is? I’m a bit of a brownie fan…even though I don’t bake too often!

19. Angie Schneider

19th February 2014 at 2:08 pm

I love this is made with my favourite whole spelt flour. They look divine!

20. GG

19th February 2014 at 2:11 pm

These look so delicious and gooey, pretty irresistable. GG

21. PinkSugar Goodies

19th February 2014 at 9:50 pm

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

22. Christian Halfmann

20th February 2014 at 11:29 am

A lovely random selection for a chocolate recipe, but then again, where could you possibly go wrong with chocolate. I wouldn’t mind having some brownies.

23. Morgan @ Peaches, Please!

22nd February 2014 at 7:29 pm

Looking at all the comments about loving the gooey middle, I have to say that I love the edges. Chewy, a little crisp…so good.

24. Tina Anand

23rd February 2014 at 12:14 pm

They look gooeylicious! I love chocolate brownies and can never just stop at one.

25. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours

24th February 2014 at 5:35 pm

What a great idea to put some spelt in too. I’ve never baked with duck eggs – I am not keen on them oon their own, but I know they are meant to be good for baking.

26. lawstudentscookbook

1st March 2014 at 4:41 am

A gooey brownie is the best type 🙂

27. Antonia

2nd March 2014 at 10:46 am

Great-looking brownies! I tend to prefer brownie recipes that use cocoa rather than melted chocolate – not sure why. I am yet to find my ‘perfect’ recipe but this sounds like a great one. I like them gooey and squidgy too but a little chewy at the edges!

28. Elizabeth

13th March 2014 at 11:40 am

oooh these sound heavenly! Thank you for sharing with #ShopLocal 🙂

29. Isabelle

2nd April 2014 at 6:19 am

Very nice recipe, It looks really great ! As I don’t have any duck eggs (and can’t find any around here !), do you have any “conversation table” to suggest ? To be honest, I have no real idea of the size/weight of a duck egg …
    Thanks in advance.

2nd April 2014 at 7:53 am

Hi Isabelle – sorry, I usually put the alternative and forgot this time. Just substitute large hens eggs for the duck eggs.

30. Marie

24th August 2015 at 6:46 pm

Hello Choclette,

I would like to try these very tempting brownies (and maybe by this way break my addiction to your double chocolate buns): what would be the right amount of walnuts to use to make them?

25th August 2015 at 11:36 am

Gosh Marie, I do apologise. But thank you so much for pointing out this omission. I hate making mistakes. I’ve amended the recipe now, but it’s 100g walnuts. Brownies are my addiction and each batch I make I reckon they are the best ever. Maybe it’s time to make these ones again 🙂

31. Marie

26th August 2015 at 6:57 pm

Thank you very much for your answer Choclette. When all my chocolate buns will be gone, I think your brownies will be the next treat I’ll make. 😉

26th August 2015 at 9:38 pm

Brownies are my go to bake and it’s rare that more than a couple of months pass by without me baking some 🙂