In My Kitchen – February 2014

Uncategorized | 21st February 2014 | By

It’s been a long time since I participated in Celia’s wonderful In My Kitchen series over at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Since then I’ve had many comings and goings into my kitchen and store cupboards, the majority of course I haven’t documented. Here are a few of my favourite things … which are currently sitting in my kitchen.

A newly purchased block of Willie’s Indonesian Black -180g of solid 100% chocolate. This is a bit of a luxury, but it’s useful and I use it sparingly.

A vase of scented Cornish narcissi, a gift from yesterday’s visitors.

A few quails eggs remaining from this basket, given to me by fellow Cornish food blogger Jane Sarchet over at The Hedge Combers when I visited her earlier this week.

Some jars of blood orange curd I made a few days ago – bloody marvellous, though I say it myself.

An empty bottle of Cornish sparkling perry – drunk yesterday with friends. Or should I say, we drank it yesterday with friends. It was our first bottle of Polgoon Peren, but was so good, I hope it won’t be our last.

A half eaten loaf of a no-knead spelt & rye bread made with my new silicone bread maker.

My favourite Cornish Red side plates sitting in the drying rack, having been used for tea yesterday.

A jar of my mother’s just made Seville orange marmalade.

A Passion 4 Juice – a wipe clean booklet of juice and smoothie recipes that I won from Vanesther’s Family Foodies blogging event over at Bangers & Mash. It arrived in the post a couple of days ago.

Some drinking chocolate from Cornish company Mugz given to me before Christmas, but still awaiting review – oops!

1. The Ordinary Cook

21st February 2014 at 11:03 am

Drunk yesterday eh? Well I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.

2. Karen S Booth

22nd February 2014 at 10:45 am

All lovely items and home-made products and I need to live nearer you, clearly! Karen

22nd February 2014 at 4:06 pm

Haha, oh I wish Karen 🙂

3. Sylvia F.

22nd February 2014 at 12:46 pm

Lovely items Choclette! I have to buy flowers myself, will be nice to bring some spring to the house 😉

22nd February 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Sylvia, yellow daffodils are so cheery at this time of year – Spring can’t be far away now!

4. london unattached lifestyle

22nd February 2014 at 5:34 pm

there ARE things without chocolate there! something is WRONG!!!

22nd February 2014 at 8:03 pm

Haha Fiona, were you hoping I had a kitchen entirely made of chocolate?

5. bangermashchat

22nd February 2014 at 6:13 pm

You have so many lovely things in your kitchen! I love those quail eggs from Janie – tempted to pay her a visit too now, although it is a rather long way just for eggs 😉 And the orange curd looks gorgeous too.

22nd February 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Vanesther. I can highly recommend paying Janie a visit. We really must get this SW bloggers meet-up thing sorted out. The blood orange curd tastes gorgeous 😉

6. Jacqueline Meldrum

22nd February 2014 at 8:49 pm

I feel the same about Willies chocolate. Mine has sat waiting for a long time. I’m not sure what to do with it to make the best of it. I do have his cookbook, so maybe something from that.

24th February 2014 at 3:24 pm

I tend to use it for grating over things or for a little bit of chocolate luxury in savoury dishes. I did make Willie’s Cloud Cake once which used the whole bar – very extravagant, but my goodness it was good.

7. Morgan @ Peaches, Please!

22nd February 2014 at 9:02 pm

The curd and marmalade look divine! And I love the empty bottle – a remnant of good times.

24th February 2014 at 3:26 pm

Thank you Morgan. Glad you feel the same about empty bottles 😉

8. prwilson

23rd February 2014 at 12:46 am

That marmalade has a great colour.

2nd March 2014 at 8:48 pm

Real Seville oranges probably make the difference.

9. Deena Kakaya

23rd February 2014 at 8:43 pm

Fig jam and lime cordial, Indonesian choc, all sounds utterly glorious x

2nd March 2014 at 8:49 pm

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial absolutely is glorious Deena 🙂

10. Helen at Casa Costello

23rd February 2014 at 10:44 pm

Ooh I have forgotten all about “In my kitchen” I love linking up with it – it makes me tidy up!

2nd March 2014 at 8:50 pm

Now there’s another good reason for joining in Helen – nice one 🙂

11. Tina Anand

24th February 2014 at 1:23 pm

So many lovely items in your kitchen, I especially like the sound of your blood orange curd and those quail eggs from Janie.

2nd March 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thanks Tina, they were both fantastic.

12. Jane Sarchet

25th February 2014 at 6:54 pm

Love the red & white Cornishware, and glad you liked the quails eggs 🙂
    Janie x

2nd March 2014 at 8:52 pm

Ah, I’m rather in love with my Cornishware Janie, but I want more … Loved the quails eggs, thank you.

13. Lou, Eat Your Veg

27th February 2014 at 10:01 pm

Oh lovely, I’d like to be in your kitchen with that gorgeous little lot! Your curd sounds AMAZING.

2nd March 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Lou. The curd is rather amazing. Expect you’ve got lots of interesting goodies in your kitchen too.

14. celia

1st March 2014 at 7:57 pm

Choc, look at all your treasures! I’m still sitting on a couple of blocks of Willie’s cacao, trying to figure out what to do with it. Your orange curd is glowing and jewel-like! And I love the look of your speckled quails’ eggs, but I’m never buying them again – they’re an absolute bugger to peel! 🙂

2nd March 2014 at 8:56 pm

Haha Celia, you are so right about those quail’s eggs. I had a tea party and let people peel their own! It’s been really nice to link up to you’re In My Kitchen event again. Willie’s cacao is wonderful for just grating over things, but also makes a demon chocolate cake all in it’s own right.

15. heidiannie

1st March 2014 at 8:21 pm

Loving your IMK post- mainly because it looks like your pictures were taken outside. And your outside looks decidedly Springlike! The dishes from your tea are really great. I love red rims. And blood orange curd? Mmm!

2nd March 2014 at 8:58 pm

Oh, it’s not feeling much like spring yet, still cold and very very wet, but spring flowers are starting to emerge, so it can’t be far away!

16. Don't boil the sauce

2nd March 2014 at 2:00 am

Hi Choclette, you are right that curd looks bloody marvellous! I made lots of blood orange recipes last year but no curd, It’s straight to the top of the list for this years season.
    cheers
    Jason

2nd March 2014 at 8:59 pm

It’s so worth making Jason, gorgeous colour and tastes marvellous . What did you do with your blood oranges?

17. Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com)

2nd March 2014 at 5:55 am

I used some perry to make baguettes yesterday and then drank the rest! I love Willies cacao and I have to try making curd with blood oranges 🙂

2nd March 2014 at 9:01 pm

Perry in baguettes? Now that sounds interesting Tandy.

18. Tania @ The Cook's Pyjamas

2nd March 2014 at 7:38 am

I have seen a few posts for blood orange curd recently. It is something I have never thought to do but I am definitely going to give it a try when citrus comes back into season. Love your chocolate, and adore your narcissi.

2nd March 2014 at 9:02 pm

Thank you Tania. Do try making the curd, it has a lovely zingy flavour and the colour makes it special all by itself. The narcissi are still blooming and smelling sweet.

19. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

2nd March 2014 at 8:58 am

I love those blood oranges, made a boiled fruit cake recently and used that as the soaker instead of the regular orange juice and you can really taste it in the cake. I am now thinking like everyone else that I should have a go too, Wonderful!

2nd March 2014 at 9:04 pm

That’s really interesting that you could tell the difference in a fruit cake Jo. Blood oranges are quite flavoursome and you can certainly taste them in this curd.

20. Joanne T Ferguson

4th March 2014 at 7:50 am

G’day! LOVE seeing flowers and never tried that chocolate too!
    I have some quail eggs, but don’t know what to do with …will look and see what you create as a recipe!
    Cheers! Joanne

21. Anne

4th March 2014 at 3:31 pm

Ooooh your blood orange curd looks good. Think I shall have to copy you and make some too.

22. Sally - My Custard Pie

5th March 2014 at 5:06 am

All sorts of goodies but specially like the narcissi 🙂