About a year ago, I tasted a chocolate cake made with Guinness. It was delicious and I’ve been wanting to have a go at making one ever since. I found a recipe for Chocolate Stout Cake in Green & Black’s, and had a go at making it for Easter Tea. It didn’t go quite according to plan, as there was too much mixture to fit into my biggest cake pan, so I made it into a sandwich cake instead. I then had to think of some sort of filling and topping to use at rather short notice and with no shops open!
- Creamed 8oz unsalted butter with 12oz soft brown sugar for ages.
- Weighed 10oz flour (6oz wholemeal spelt and 4oz white spelt), 2oz cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 tsp bicarb of soda.
- Beat in 4 duck eggs alternately with some of the sieved flour mixture
- Stirred in 4oz melted dark chocolate (85%)
- Stirred in 12fl oz Guinness alternately with the remainder of the sieved flour.
- Baked this in 2 23cm round cake pans at 180C in a preheated oven for about 50 mins.
- Whilst cakes cooling, melted 4oz dark chocolate (70%)
- Stirred in 4oz butter
- Added a good sloosh of Guinness and stirred fast.
- When thick enough used this to sandwich the two cakes together and to ice the cake.
- Decorated with little gold wrapped Easter eggs