Dorset Apple Cake with Chocolate Caramel – Best of British

English | 28th October 2012 | By

Dorset Apple Cake

Best of British comes back to the South West this month from London and has now reached the county of Dorset. The first and if truth be told, only thing that came to mind when thinking about Dorset speciality food was Dorset Apple Cake. Strangely, with all of my cookery books I didn’t have a single recipe for this. So, I resorted to the net and came up with this winner – voted the Dorset National Dish in 2006 by Greg Coomer.

Like many other people this year, I haven’t had nearly as many apples from my mother’s trees as normal, but I still have a few. I’d been mulling over an apple cake for a while and wanted to include a bar of Lindt Luscious Caramel in it. Easy peasy, I would adapt Greg’s cake of course. I made a larger quantity as I don’t have an 8″ cake mould, omitted the lemon peel, substituted chocolate for raisins and used cardamom sugar. I also substituted buckwheat for the specified cornflour and did my usual mix of flours. I also used, err, Cornish apples – shhhhh!

This is how I did it:

• Weighed out 10oz flour (4oz spelt, 4oz plain white, 2oz buckwheat) and sifted into a bowl with 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp bicarb of soda.
  • Added 5oz cardamom (caster) sugar.
  • Rubbed in 5oz unsalted butter until the mixture resembled breadcrumbs.
  • Peeled, cored and diced 250g of tart apples (Cornish variety – label missing) stirring into the mixture to coat as I went along so the apples didn’t brown.
  • Made a well in the centre and added 2 medium eggs and 2 tbsp milk.
  • Stirred until all combined.
  • Added a chopped 100g bar of Lindt Luscious Caramel and stirred in.
  • Spooned into a 21cm cake mould.
  • Cored and sliced one tart apple, but left the peel on.
  • Drizzled over 1 tbsp lemon juice to stop the slices from browning, then arranged the slices on top of the cake.
  • Scattered over 1 tbsp of soft brown sugar.
  • Baked in the oven at 180C for 35 minutes.
Luscious by name, lucscious by nature and the only way to describe this cake. The apple shone through and was complemented perfectly by the caramel chocolate. As you can see, we felt it was also complemented by a large spoon of Cornish clotted cream. I now feel the urge to stock up on this type of chocolate so I can include it in other apple cakes.
Best of British is sponsored by The Face of New World Appliances and hosted once again by Karen of Lavender and Lovage this month.

1. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)

28th October 2012 at 8:23 am

Gosh I love apple cakes but I’ve never added chocolate to them. Good idea!

29th October 2012 at 9:14 pm

In my rather, err, extensive experience, I’ve found chocolate chips / chunks work really well in apple cakes, much better than making the whole thing chocolate flavoured.

2. Katie

28th October 2012 at 8:25 am

Looks a gorgeous cake and great idea to use caramel chocolate. Sounds delicious.

29th October 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thank you Katie, that’s high praise coming from the Queen of apple cakes 🙂

28th October 2012 at 8:39 am

That’s a cracking looking cake, and of course the addition of chocolate is genius on your behalf. I am craving apple cake now though …

29th October 2012 at 9:28 pm

The one problem with it Chele, is that it just didn’t last long enough. I can feel another one coming on 😉

4. Suelle

28th October 2012 at 9:28 am

This looks really delicious, although I think I’d go back to adding raisins, as I don’t have your urge to add chocolate to everything! LOL!;)

29th October 2012 at 9:32 pm

Suelle, this cake would be excellent with raisins too I’m sure, but it wasn’t just any old chocolate, it was caramel chocolate which gave it a special toffee apple edge.

5. Chris

28th October 2012 at 10:55 am

With chocolate caramel … that is totally lovely. I know, that it is a good thing to post an apple cake for Best of British this month. 🙂

29th October 2012 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Chris. Just as well as it’s a good thing, because I think there might be a few apple cakes 😉

6. Karen S Booth

28th October 2012 at 2:14 pm

WOW! That is a STUNNER of a cake, and as Dorset Apple Cakes go, it is a BEAUTY! I have been working with caramal and chocolate today too…..for a secret TTT thing, but more about that later! LOVELY entry for Dorset and such a pretty cake too! Karen

29th October 2012 at 9:41 pm

Thank you Karen, that’s very kind. Now you are teasing – chocolate and caramel? Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

7. belleau kitchen

28th October 2012 at 4:04 pm

stunning cake!… love the apples on the top and the recipe sounds fab, I must have a go at this… and then to top it all off with that incredible caramel chocolate included in the cake… wow… need it, want it, must HAVE it!

29th October 2012 at 10:17 pm

You shall go to the ball!

8. mylittleitaliankitchen

28th October 2012 at 4:06 pm

A cake impossible to resist: apple cake is one of the best ones and yours is just perfect. Ciao!

30th October 2012 at 6:14 am

Thank you Alida, you are always very kind 🙂

9. The Caked Crusader

28th October 2012 at 5:06 pm

That is a cake of rare beauty – I adore how apples turn when baked, soft but firm and so delicious

30th October 2012 at 6:44 am

Thanks CC, I am always happy to see apple season come around.

10. Caroline

28th October 2012 at 6:34 pm

That is definitely my sort of cake. I love the generosity of the apple slices and they’re really well arranged on the top. I can’t say I’d have thought of adding caramel chocolate (though that sounds pretty good on its own!) but I’d love to try this with raisins. Yum.

30th October 2012 at 7:09 am

Thanks C, I really enjoyed having the different textures from the soft apple in the cake to the caramalised and slightly chewy apple on top. I’m sure this would be delicious with raisins too, but it did work well with that caramel chocolate 😉

11. Jo

28th October 2012 at 6:34 pm

What a beautiful cake. I love the sound of adding caramel chocolate to the batter. Yummy!

30th October 2012 at 7:22 am

Thanks Jo – I was thinking toffee apples and it really worked 🙂

12. Miss C Flash

28th October 2012 at 7:29 pm

Looks beautiful. Nothing quite beats an apple cake x

13. Phil in the Kitchen

28th October 2012 at 9:45 pm

I must confess that the first thing that I think of when I think about Dorset food is apple cake and, in my opinion, that’s no bad thing at all. I’ve never tried it with caramel chocolate, though. Sounds absolutely lovely.

30th October 2012 at 7:31 am

That’s very true Phil, it’s hard to beat a good apple cake, but adding caramel chocolate does make it that little bit more special.

14. helen

28th October 2012 at 10:26 pm

ooh that looks lovely…my lot would have to have that with custard!

30th October 2012 at 7:33 am

Yes Helen, custard would be lovely too.

15. Garden Tea Cakes and Me

29th October 2012 at 9:35 am

Now that’s what I call a cake, perfect for Autumn days with a hot cup of tea. Like your mum’s my apples trees have had a recovery year for fruit, which hopefully means a bounty crop come next year.

Angela

30th October 2012 at 7:37 am

Thanks Angela, lets cross fingers and hope so.

16. Katharine

29th October 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love any kind of apple cake and yours looks perfect! I bet the addition of the chocolate really adds to the flavour too.

30th October 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Katharine. Apple cake is just so right at this time of year. The chocolate is good, but it’s the caramel that really makes it.

17. Charlotte Charlotte'sKitchenDiary

29th October 2012 at 7:09 pm

Another great recipe Choclette! I will forgive you for using Cornish apples ; ) It looks absolutely gorgeous!

30th October 2012 at 7:19 pm

Oh thanks Charlotte, I feel much better for that 😉

18. rita cooks italian

30th October 2012 at 8:43 am

What a great cake! I like the tip of stirring the apple slices into the mixture to coat so the apples don’t brown. The chocolate carmel gives the perfect finish!!

30th October 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Rita, all I can say is the cake disappeared rather too rapidly!

19. laura@howtocookgoodfood

30th October 2012 at 9:36 pm

I really love your replacing the raisins with a bar of luscious caramel chocolate in this wonderful Dorset apple cake. I am with you on that one and now need to go and buy a bar just to check out how good it must be. Again, I love the flours you have used. I have just bought my first ever spelt flour so will be putting it to good use very soon although I am finding it very hard to have any time to myself this week, including commenting on blogs….half term you see :))x

31st October 2012 at 7:11 am

Glad you approve Laura, it was a particularly good combination. Good luck with the spelt. Hope you are enjoying half term, even if it is proving to be rather busy.

6th November 2012 at 11:13 am

caramel and apple is so perfect a combination and I just love this cake

10th November 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Johanna, it was such a delicious combination, I shall be using it again.