Banana and Mincemeat Buns

Small Cakes | 27th March 2014 | By

Looking around my kitchen the other day (well more like the other week), two items caught my eye. An opened jar containing some chocolate mincemeat leftover from the mincemeat slices I’d made a few days earlier and one lost languishing banana which was about to expire. It was obvious there was no time to spare, I needed to use them quickly. What could I do, but make some banana and mincemeat buns. I based my recipe on the mincemeat buns I made a couple of years ago.

This is how I made them:

• Creamed 125g unsalted butter with 125g cardamom sugar (golden caster) until light and fluffy.
  • Broke in 2 duck eggs, beating well between each egg.
  • Added 1 mashed banana and beat until combined
  • Sifted in 125g flour (half wholemeal, half white), 1 scant tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Stirred until just combined, then stirred in 4 tbsp chocolate mincemeat.
  • Spooned into 12 muffin cases.
  • Baked at 180°C for 20 minutes until risen and golden.

The buns rose well and had a fabulous crumb structure. And more to the point, they were very tasty. Even CT liked these and he is not a mincemeat fan.

Using up leftovers and homemade leftovers at that, as well as rescuing a banana from the compost heap gives these simple buns the necessary kudos to be entered into Credit Crunch Munch with Camilla of FabFood4All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.

This month’s Family Foodies is all about getting something prepared fast – fast as in under 30 minutes. Well I reckon as long as your butter is soft and your ingredients handy, you could get these mincemeat muffins prepared in ten minutes allowing them 20 minutes to bake. I’ve also managed to get a healthy banana in their as well as lots of dried fruit and dark chocolate. Hosted alternately by Bangers & Mash and Eat Your Veg.

1. Kate Glutenfreealchemist

27th March 2014 at 10:00 pm

What a lovely combination of ingredients. And they look so moist and delicious! I have never made or used cardamom sugar. Is it easy to make?

27th March 2014 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Kate. Cardamom sugar is super easy to make. Just throw a handful of cardamom seeds in a jar of caster sugar and keep topping up after use. I dive the sugar and put the seeds back in the jar.

2. vohnmcg.com

27th March 2014 at 11:37 pm

Ooh – I’m liking the idea of mincemeat & bananas. I have mincemeat left too but it ain’t chocolate – I think I’ll throw in some chocolate chips! Vohn x

3. belleau kitchen

28th March 2014 at 12:30 am

I mean I think you really rescued those ingredients from a fate worse than death… You’re a good woman! Beautiful buns.

28th March 2014 at 1:05 am

Sounds like an excellent use of the mincemeat – I had mine leftover til last christmas last year and refused to make any this past christmas but I do look longingly at your recipe and thing maybe some leftovers wasn’t such a bad thing

5. riseofthesourdoughpreacher

28th March 2014 at 5:37 am

Oh lord this must be heaven!
    Never considered pairing mincemeat and banana but it mst be gorgeous!
    I have some leftovers from Christmas and will definitely try this one out asap.
    Have a nice day
    Lou

6. Karen S Booth

28th March 2014 at 9:23 am

LOVE these buns Choclette and especially as I am a BIG fan of mincemeat in baking, in cakes and bakes as well as the usual tarts! Karen

7. Deena Kakaya

28th March 2014 at 11:48 am

Oof, these sound like wonderful mouthfuls of celebration, gorgeous and succulent x

8. Tina Chawla

28th March 2014 at 1:23 pm

Its good to see more uses for mincemeat. Would never have thought to combine them with banana, now intrigued. They look moist and incredibly moreish.

9. Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

28th March 2014 at 1:28 pm

I am not a fan of mincemeat, but my husband is, so I know he will love these.

10. Alison

28th March 2014 at 1:29 pm

Chocolate mincemeat? Who knew. These looks gorgeous.

11. Alida

28th March 2014 at 3:04 pm

Another interesting combination. I think it could definitely gorge on these!!

12. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry

28th March 2014 at 4:49 pm

I am a cardamom addict so I am always excited to see some cardamom in goodies like these.

13. fiona maclean

28th March 2014 at 6:41 pm

As always they sound great! yum!

14. bangermashchat

28th March 2014 at 10:12 pm

Never thought of combining mincemeat with chocolate, but since I have a jar left over from Christmas and we always have chocolate and ripe bananas in the house, I’ve simply got to give these a go. They look absolutely scrummy. And a great entry for this month’s Family Foodies challenge. Thanks for sharing!

15. Sylvia F.

29th March 2014 at 10:19 pm

What a creative way to use mince meat! Sounds super tasty!

16. Kate@whatkatebaked

30th March 2014 at 8:33 am

I love that you felt there was no time to spare, I’m imagining you downing tools and putting into practice a “Cake State of Emergency” to urgently bake these lovely little muffins!

17. Pam Francis Gregory

30th March 2014 at 9:28 am

Another great use for mincemeat!

18. Lou, Eat Your Veg

30th March 2014 at 8:32 pm

I still have half a jar of homemade mincemeat that stares at me every time I open the fridge! Must use SOON, with banana in buns sounds like a very good idea.

19. Jane Sarchet

31st March 2014 at 6:46 am

Ooooh, nice combo of flavours choccy. They sound scrummy 🙂
    Janie x

20. Camilla Hawkins

15th April 2014 at 11:11 am

Banana, chocolate and dried fruits – a perfect comination, it’s so good to get odd bits of food used up which might otherwise have been wasted. Thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch with such a yummy recipe:-)