Triple Chocolate Buns for National Chocolate Week
Way back in 2011, I made these double chocolate buns and they proved to be quite popular amongst my readers. I’ve been promising myself to make them again ever since and I’ve finally got around to it. This time around, however, I upped the ante and turned them into triple chocolate buns. It seems only fitting as it’s the last day of National Chocolate Week.
Our neighbours recently gave us a desk they were getting rid of. I felt a little thank you seemed in order; I grabbed my trusty bowl and wooden spoon and knocked up a batch of these triple chocolate buns. The neighbours were delighted, especially their grandson, who I later learnt ate the lion’s share. As I made fifteen, there were a few extra for me and CT to try as well.
This recipe for triple chocolate buns is super easy and very quick to make. You really don’t need a mixer. The results are good and chocolatey. They’re not too sweet, but have little bites of caramelised white chocolate and melting milk chocolate to liven things up a bit. The sponge is surprisingly light, given that they’re made with wholemeal flour.
Triple Chocolate Buns
- 125 g unsalted butter - softened
- 125 g of golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (I used homemade)
- 250 g golden wholemeal flour (or half wholemeal, half plain)
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda.
- 250 ml kefir , buttermilk or sour milk.
- 60 g white chocolate - roughly chopped
- 60 g milk chocolate - roughly chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in, one by one.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat some more.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix in alternately with the kefir.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon into 15 muffin cases.
- Bake at 180℃ for 20 minutes.
And I mustn’t forget Bake of the Week at Casa Costello.
Other National Chocolate Week posts you might like
- Chocolate peanut butter swirl Halloween cake via Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Hotel Chocolat cocoa gin & dark chocolate giveaway via Tinned Tomatoes
- My #NationalChocolateWeek posts from this and previous years.
If you like the recipe for triple chocolate buns, why not pin it for later?