Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies & a Review

Cookie-Dough Brownies

When asked if I’d like to review a copy of The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook, I was intrigued. A whole cookbook dedicated to raw cookie dough? Well it appears that the author, Lindsay Landis, is a cookie dough fanatic. I have to confess some sympathy here as I often think licking out the bowl is the best bit.

The book is spiral bound, but with a hard cover and spine which makes it much easier to file in the bookshelf. It also makes for easy use with the pages staying firmly open where you want them. There is a short introduction on cookie dough and what the book is about. Reassuringly, the first thing you learn is that the dough is eggless so there is no need to worry about eating it raw. Bearing in mind that cookie dough is the whole purpose of the book, this is just as well. There are chapters on: candy, cookies and brownies, cakes, custards and pies, frozen treats, indulgent breakfasts and party fare. Every recipe contains cookie dough either in, on top or underneath. Who would have thought cookie dough was so versatile? Peanut butter and chocolate thumbprint cookies anyone? I found the recipes fun and inventive but also well written and easy to follow.

Although not all recipes have a picture of the finished product, there is a goodly number that do. The photographs are attractive and not as artificial looking as some; they make you immediately want to cook or eat more than is good for you. They make the book a real feast for the eyes and were taken by Lindsay herself. More of her recipes and photography are available on her blog Love and Olive Oil.

I was a little surprised to see the measurements are all in cups; I hadn’t realised the book was aimed primarily at the US market. Luckily I had the wonderful measuring spoons that Jac gave me, so it wasn’t as difficult as it might have been. I was a little disappointed though.

There were several recipes that appealed to me, but I opted to try out the chocolate chip cookie dough brownies first. I made about half the amount specified, though it was hard to split the cup measures. As a result, I made slightly more than half of the brownie mixture. I also used wholemeal spelt instead of white flour in the brownies as I like the texture and slight nutty quality it brings. For the cookie dough, I omitted the vanilla as I was using cardamom sugar.

This is what I did:

• Melted 75g unsalted butter in a medium sized pan over low heat with 50g dark chocolate (G&B 70%).
  • Removed from the heat and stirred in just under 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar.
  • Added 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder and 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt and mixed until smooth.
  • Beat in two medium eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Stirred in 1/4 cup of plain white flour.
  • Poured into a 2lb loaf mould and baked for 15 mins at 180C.
  • Left to cool.
  • Creamed 75g unsalted butter with 1/2 cup light muscovado sugar and 1/8 cup of cardamom (caster) sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Mixed in 1 tbsp milk and 1/8 tsp salt (Himalayan pink).
  • Added 3/8 cup of flour and stirred.
  • Chopped 50g milk chocolate (G&B 35%) & added to the cookie dough.
  • Spooned this onto the brownies and tried to spread as evenly as possible.
  • Melted 25g unsalted butter in a pan over low heat with 50g dark chocolate (G&B 70%) and stirred until smooth.
  • Poured this over the cookie dough and placed in the fridge to set.
  • Turned out of the mould and cut into 18 1″ pieces.

I had a feeling my brownies wouldn’t look anything like as good as the ones in the book and I was right. I know part of that is my own impatience, which is perhaps why I am neither a stylist nor a photographer.

The first thing I noticed when biting into these, was that brownies straight from the fridge are not nearly as nice as those at room temperature. They have less taste and a cold hard texture – I won’t make that mistake again. I also realised that I prefer my brownies straight and not with extras on top of them. The cookie dough and chocolate were a great combination, but all three together just didn’t do it for me.

The brownies reminded CT of cake truffles. He thought they were delicious, but later admitted he preferred eating the layers separately. The brownie worked as a brownie, whereas the cookie was redolent of Ben & Jerry’s cookie dough ice-cream which is a firm favourite of his. So in essence, I think he agrees with me.

I will certainly be making cookie dough again, but next time I will be trying out Lindsay’s cookie dough truffles, which I think will work much better.

1. Baking Addict

3rd July 2012 at 5:55 am

I love cookie dough and I can’t wait to try something from this book as I’ve only had a very quick flick through before I left. I think I’ll try the cookie dough truffle first. I suspect I would like each component separately as well.

6th July 2012 at 11:06 am

Yes Ros, I’m going to try those next because I think the dough would work really well on it’s own covered in dark chocolate. It’s a fun book though with some fun ideas.

2. Juliet

3rd July 2012 at 6:40 am

How intriguing! I can’t say I understand the concept of cookie dough, but like you adore licking the bowl. But those brownies looks yum!

6th July 2012 at 11:07 am

It’s an interesting concept Juliet and it’s worth a try I reckon 🙂

3. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

3rd July 2012 at 8:11 am

I know this makes me sound ancient but ‘what will they think of next’… so there’s a whole book dedicated to the concept of raw cookie dough… this is fabulous!!… I think your brownies look incredible but I too would eat them layer by layer… great review x

6th July 2012 at 11:10 am

Ha ha, I’d rather you weren’t quite so obsessed with “ancient” and age in general at the moment Dom!!! Thanks for the kind words. I do intend to try some more raw cookie dough out though – even if it does sound a bit weird.

4. Working London Mummy Working London Mummy

3rd July 2012 at 9:04 am

what an idea! so fun. And your brownies look delicious. I agree with dom I would eat layer at a time!

6th July 2012 at 11:14 am

Thanks WLM, eating they layer by layer seems to be the general consensus.

5. debby emadian

3rd July 2012 at 10:36 am

I think that your look yummy Choclette. I’m glad to see that you used spelt flour and it worked ok. I’ve just ordered a 25KG sack of spelt flour as I bake spelt bread every other day…It’s arrived and looks so big that I wonder if I was over zealous when ordering! So I’m on the look out for lots of new ways to use it…like you I’ll make simple ones and serve warm.
    Deb

6th July 2012 at 11:33 am

Gosh baking every couple of days is quite a big feat, but if you are doing it that often, you should get through the flour in no time. I love spelt in baking as it gives texture and a certain nuttiness and it’s less harmful than many other types of flour. I’ve been using it for years, although when it comes to bread, I make rye sourdough these days.

6. A Trifle Rushed

3rd July 2012 at 12:02 pm

What a great idea, I love it, as I’m always telling my (just turned) 6 year old she can’t eat dough because of the eggs! She’d love this and it might be fun for all those sleepovers I have ahead of me!! Aaaah!

6th July 2012 at 11:34 am

Oh Jude, you’ll love having those sleepovers. And yes, I can see cookie dough would be a big hit.

7. Alida

3rd July 2012 at 1:48 pm

Look lovely Choclette like all your recipes.

6th July 2012 at 11:35 am

Thank you Alida, you know how to cheer someone up 🙂

8. thelittleloaf

3rd July 2012 at 4:58 pm

I’ve been wondering whether to buy a copy of Lindsay’s book – I like cookie dough but I’m not sure if I could eat a whole recipe book’s worth! These do look rather delicious though…there goes another book on the Amazon wishlist 🙂

6th July 2012 at 11:36 am

Yes, I’m not sure there are that many recipes I’m keen to try, but I have bookmarked a couple.

3rd July 2012 at 8:13 pm

Fun to see your recipe just after I made mine. I have to say I thought some of the recipes would be a bit OTT and would agree that the brownie combo was probably a step too far. The truffles being only cookie dough and chocolate were as far as I wanted to go. I do fancy making some of the icecreams though, maybe you should too, if it is the favourite of CT!

6th July 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh bother Janice, I think you’re probably right – ice-cream it will have to be! I’m quite keen to try your truffles, but I can’t see that I will be making masses of things from the book. It’s a fun concept though.

10. hungryhinny

5th July 2012 at 8:21 am

I think yours look really good, I don’t see any signs of impatience!

I’ve wanted to make cookie dough brownies for a while, but straight up brownies are so good I can see how the extra layers might take away from that… I made the other half a cookie dough filled chocolate birthday cake this year though and that turned out well!

6th July 2012 at 11:40 am

Ahh, you say the nicest things – thank you 🙂

Have I seen your chocolate cake post I wonder – my memory is atrocious so I will be over to look. I can see cookie dough would make a good filling.

11. wrystarr

5th July 2012 at 4:45 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

12. celia

5th July 2012 at 7:01 pm

What an intriguing notion, to use cookie dough raw as a filling. I’ve seen it in icecream, but never in a slice or brownie. Does the rawness of the flour come through at all?

6th July 2012 at 11:03 am

It is an intriguing notion Celia, but it does work quite well and no, neither CT nor myself noticed the flour. I think it would work best as a truffle filling with dark chocolate – it is quite sweet.

13. Jo

6th July 2012 at 12:12 am

A whole cookbook dedicated to cookie dough? Wow! Shame the brownies didn’t quite hit the spot for you, although I know what you mean. I like my brownies to be brownies, I’m never very sure about adding toppings or layers to them.

6th July 2012 at 2:26 pm

Yes, it’s quite an odd idea, but certainly an interesting one. I think it would work much better as truffles and in some of the other recipes.

14. Charlotte Pike

6th July 2012 at 6:08 am

Oh wow, these look fantastic. One worry I would have is how the finished product would look, but yours look wonderful!

You have inspired me to get cooking with spelt – I have stocked up to start using it more in my cakes : )

Charlotte

6th July 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Charlotte, mine have a certain rustic charm compared to the originals 😉

I think spelt is a wonderful flour – hope you get on well with it.

15. Kit @ i-lostinausten

6th July 2012 at 7:15 am

These looks heavenly divine that I must give this a try! So tempting & delicious! Wish I can take these brownies out of the screen! LOL

16. Tamsin

6th July 2012 at 9:03 am

Now I love brownies and I love cookie dough but I’m not sure I could handle them together, I’d probably eat them separately too. That said David Lebovitz’s cheesecake brownies are wonderful; I guess I should try before making up my mind:-)

6th July 2012 at 2:30 pm

Ahh, got me there, because I love cheesecake brownies too. Always worth a try though Tamsin 😉

17. The Caked Crusader

8th July 2012 at 10:23 am

Looks a nice book but I’m still turned off books that only have US measurements – I have cups, but they just seem imprecise to me, compared to scales.
    Your finished baking looks awesome…so maybe I should review my prejudice!

6th February 2013 at 6:22 pm

CC, I understand entirely – I too am put off when I see cups as measurements. it doesn’t mean I won’t bake, but it does mean I am a lot less likely too.

18. talesofpiglingbland

6th February 2013 at 4:50 pm

I like the idea of cookie dough in brownies, but maybe as chunks in the batter?

6th February 2013 at 6:24 pm

I am so in love with that idea – fantastic 🙂

19. Tracy K Nixon

5th March 2013 at 9:20 pm

omg anything with cookie dough makes my mouth water! I love it – often buy the cookie dough mix and eat it in it’s sticky and uncooked form! Naughty – soooo naughty but nice yummy!

20. mummy24

14th March 2013 at 8:35 pm

Cookie Dough sounds great!

21. Tracy K Nixon

22nd July 2013 at 3:53 am

I bought this! Thanks for the recommendation!

22. Maya Russell

20th November 2013 at 8:19 am

That’s so unique to use cookie dough raw as a filling! Sounds yum.

23. Laura Caraher

28th April 2014 at 7:48 pm

I love the sound of this book as I adore cookie dough, I’m off to go track it down on Amazon 🙂