In My Kitchen One – August 2011

Awards Plus | 28th August 2011 | By

And now for something a little different. Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial does a superb monthly series of In My Kitchen and it’s a firm favourite of mine. There is always so much going on in her kitchen and she has such delightful things to show and tell. She has generously invited others to do their own In My Kitchen and finally, I have got my act together to do so. Welcome to In My Kitchen One.

In My Kitchen One

Rose Cupcakes

To start, it had to be something chocolatey. In my kitchen, one last remaining rose cupcake from the We Should Cocoa challenge.

Rosehip Syrup

One of the bottles of rosehip syrup recently made from rosehips which have been languishing in the freezer for a year. They were gathered from Rosa rugosa scrub on a nearby beach. The hips of this species are particularly big and juicy. This reminds me, it’s about time to go and gather some more.

US Cup Measures

Some gorgeously coloured US cup measures, very thoughtfully sent from Jac of Tinned Tomatoes after I was bemoaning the fact I couldn’t get my head around using cups.

Homegrown Garlic

Some garlic cloves gleaned whilst sorting through the 80 bulbs of garlic we grew this year.

Organic Eggs

A bowl of organic hens eggs I’m lucky enough to be able to buy locally.

Biscuit Cutters

A couple of cute little biscuit cutters a friend sent me for my birthday, but for which I haven’t yet found a home.

Dill Flowers

A vase of dill flowers from our plot.

Early Apples

A bowl of delicious eating apples from my mother’s best tree. Unfortunately none of us can remember the name.

Rye Sourdough Bread

Two loaves of my weekly no frills rye sourdough, fresh from the oven. If you haven’t read about my bread making adventures with Andrew Whitley, here’s the post, Bread Matters.

Water Egg

Our water egg. This was a present from CT nearly a decade ago. It’s a ceramic egg which, due to its shape, is said to keep liquids stored in it fresh. It includes a copper spiral set in beeswax in the lid which contains imploded water. It comes from the Centre for Implosion Research which claims imploded water has subtle energetic properties.

Homemade Crème Fraîche

A jar of home made crème fraîche just set and about to be put in the fridge. It’s simplicity itself to make.

Steenbergs Organic Drinking Chocolate

And I really must end on a chocolate note. In my kitchen, one tin of organic chilli hot chocolate which arrived unexpectedly in the post from Steenbergs for me to review.

In My Kitchen October 2010

What a delightful surprise awaited me back in October. Over the past year or so, I’ve been a lucky recipient of some of Katie Christoffers excellent tea chocolates. If you’re interested in any of my Matcha Chocolat reviews, here they they are: Emperor Selection, Jade SelectionLotus Selection, and Mother’s Day Selection.

Box of masala chai salted caramels from Matcha Chocolat.

I got even luckier and was thrilled to win a box of her Masala Chai Salted Caramels courtesy of fellow chocoholic Judith Lewis.  Judith’s Mostly About Chocolate blog does pretty much what it says on the tin; she reviews some of the best chocolates out there.

Tray of masala chai salted caramels from Matcha Chocolat.

Now I found myself faced with the eternal dilemma. Be generous and pass these masala chai salted caramels on as a gift or scoff the lot myself. Guess which path I followed? I assuaged my guilty conscience a little by allowing CT to participate. In my defence, I’d heard a lot of favourable reports and felt it was my duty to sample one of Matcha Chocolat’s latest offerings.

Masala chai salted caramel from Matcha Chocolat.

Could it be possible to outshine the chai truffles that I’m so enamoured with already? Well yes it can. Turns out these masala chai salted caramels are even more delicious. The chocolate was dark and powerful and the caramel was, quite frankly, to die for. The spicy chai meant this was much more than a mere salted caramel, good as they are. For CT they conjured up Christmas, he liked the contrast between the crisp and slightly acidic shell with its resilient texture and the gloriously soft and spicy sweet caramel.

Thanks to Judith for the prize and to Katie for making them. We very much enjoyed savouring each and every one.

Stay in Touch

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. I hope you enjoyed this in my kitchen one post. For further kitchen inspiration follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

28th August 2011 at 8:17 am

You’ve had a busy month. Love all the homegrown and homemade treats.

2. celia

28th August 2011 at 7:59 am

Choc, I love this! Thank you for playing and I’m in awe of your treasures, particularly the homegrown garlic. Ours never seems to grow particularly big. Your water egg is almost sculptural!

3. MissCakeBaker

28th August 2011 at 9:09 am

I love all your locally sourced and homemade products.

4. Kath

28th August 2011 at 10:20 am

I love this post. 80 heads of garlic – wow. We didn’t do garlic this year and I am really missing it. I am intrigued by the ceramic egg. I have a big bush of flowers like that outside my door but I thought it was fennel not dill – are they similar or have I been wrong all this time?

5. Kath

28th August 2011 at 10:24 am

I have googled dill and fennel and they are remarkably similar – now I wonder which one it is I planted outside?

6. C

28th August 2011 at 10:27 am

Lovely pictures, and a lovely peek into your kitchen and what’s happening there. I love these posts and it’s really interesting to see the ‘not chocolate’ side of things!

7. Karen S Booth

28th August 2011 at 10:54 am

I LOVE posts like this and what a wonderful idea too…..love all the photos but especially the garlic!
    Karen

8. Jacqueline

28th August 2011 at 11:28 am

What an enjoyable post Choclette. I’m very impressed with your garlic growing prowess. It is something I have never tried. Mind you I am not very green fingered. I am however pleased you like your cup measures.

9. Working london mummy

28th August 2011 at 12:07 pm

lovely way to do it and showcase what is important to you in the kitchen – starting with something chocolate of course!

28th August 2011 at 12:14 pm

The water egg is certainly unusual. Some fun stuff in your kitchen.

28th August 2011 at 1:35 pm

nice little insight into your kitchen – I love that photo of the eggs – they look so pretty in that bowl

12. heidiannie

28th August 2011 at 1:47 pm

I love your kitchen and gadgets- especially the egg! That is so intriguing and Celia is right- rather sculpturally fine!
    I made a chocolate zucchini (courgette) cake yesterday and used only whole wheat flour in it. I thought it might be a little dense, but it was great (of course, it also had 1 cup of chocolate chips in it).
    Thanks for sharing!

28th August 2011 at 3:00 pm

Celia – thank you. It’s our new plot (3 yrs old now) we have to thank for the garlic, the soil is amazing and we’ve never grown such big garlic before we took it on, even though we’ve kept the same ones going for the last decade. We love the look of the egg, it used to sit on our mantle piece when we were renting.

Chele – that was a busy couple of days 😉

MCB – thank you. I’m lucky to be able to source so much locally.

Kath – the problem we have with the garlic is where to store it all!!! Yes fennel and dill are very similar, but the dill heads are somewhat finer. If it comes up in the same place every year, it’s probably fennel. Dill is an annual. I’d not had much success in growing it until last year and now it’s seeded itself all over the plot – fine by me!

C – thank you. Yes, I do like to have an opportunity to do non chocolate from time to time 😉

Karen – it’s good fun being able to see what other’s have and get up to in their kitchens. I’m really pleased with our garlic – those were by no means the best, we have some enormous cloves.

Jac – I do like my cup measures. They hang in pride of place in the kitchen, but I haven’t managed to use them yet ;-S

WLM – he he, I couldn’t not start with chocolate really. But it was really nice to be able to include lots of non chocolate things for once.

Janice – Thank you. I think it’s always fun seeing what’s in someone else’s kitchen.

Johanna – thank you. It’s not the most practical of egg containers, but I like it and that’s the important thing.

Heidiannie – thank you. I think wholemeal flour is much underrated in baking. I always make my brownies with wholemeal and no-one has ever done anything other than scoff them as fast as they can!

14. girls who like to gorge

28th August 2011 at 4:03 pm

This is such a great hoard! x

15. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

28th August 2011 at 6:12 pm

oh my god, i think i’ve just bought a water egg!… i’m SUCH a sucker for anything holistic… I love this post, lovely to find out a little bit about you… i’ve been thinking about asking everyone to show a picture of their kitchen when my kitchen is finally ready so that we can all share where we cook from…? I also love Jac for sending you those measuring cups… genius!

16. Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

28th August 2011 at 9:59 pm

How lovely to see your bread! They look beautiful, this is the Andrew Whitley one that you told me about, is that right?

And those apples look so ripe already, wonderful colour against the stones.

And like everyone else, hugely impressed by the garlic harvest, Fantastic !

17. Christine

29th August 2011 at 12:01 am

Wonderful happenings in your kitchen. I am really interested in your water egg and have just checked out the link. To have a tree with delicious eating apples – how wonderful. And 80 bulbs of garlic, this be my idea of kitchen heaven! 🙂

18. tandysinclair.com

29th August 2011 at 7:28 am

This is such a lovely collection – are those flowers from a fennel?

19. Shelley

29th August 2011 at 9:24 am

I’m very jealous of those cup measures. And what I would give right now for that rose cupcake to magically appear in front of me….!

20. The Caked Crusader

29th August 2011 at 9:29 am

Fantastic – I love seeing what’s going on in other people’s kitchens!

21. cityhippyfarmgirl

29th August 2011 at 10:08 am

Choclette all those kitchen happenings are wonderful. Great to finally see your rye 🙂
    And all that garlic…lucky bugger!

29th August 2011 at 6:56 pm

Girls – very well spotted. I am a bit of a hoarder which doesn’t work well in my small kitchen 😉

Dom – ha ha, you know that egg would look so good in your new kitchen – maybe :-S Wasn’t that so lovely of Jac, it was a really nice surprise.

Joanna – yes, that’s the bread I learnt to bake with Andrew Whitley, though I expect it’s changed somewhat in the nearly two years I’ve been making it now. I also add pumpkin and sunflower seeds. The apples are amazingly sweet and juicy and have done better this year than they have in a long time.

Christine – I’d love to have an apple tree too, but at least I have a generous mother. The theory behind the egg is all very interesting – I wear the earrings too.

Tandy – very close, the flowers are from Dill which has seeded all over our plot.

Shelley – yes, I really must get around to using those measures.

CC – It’s a great idea to have a peak into other food blogger’s kitchens – I’ve really enjoyed having a look.

CityHippy – I have to say, you are right; we do feel lucky with the garlic. Until we moved to our current plot (3 yrs ago) our garlic was OK, but now it’s brilliant.

23. Maggie

29th August 2011 at 7:47 pm

Some interesting stuff here Choclette, I particularly love that you make your own creme fraiche.

30th August 2011 at 8:03 am

Maggie – thank you. It’s very easy, the main problem is remembering.

25. Hannah

30th August 2011 at 7:58 pm

A lovely little tour of what you’re up to!
    I’m considering having a go at rosehip syrup this year as we have so many in the garden.

26. Baking Addict

30th August 2011 at 11:37 pm

Great post. I love having a peek into other people’s kitchens/homes. I am most intrigued by the water egg!