Truffle Easter Eggs Or Cake Truffles At Any Other Time

Homemade Cake Truffle Easter Eggs

Have you thought about making your own Easter eggs? It can be easier than you might think. These homemade truffle Easter eggs have a nice crisp chocolate shell and a melt in the mouth filling. The filling is made from leftover cake crumbs, so they’re a brilliant ‘more food, less waste’ recipe. Shape them into balls, rather than eggs and you have cake truffles for any time of the year.

Once I spotted, this post for homemade Easter eggs, I was all fired up to attempt my own Easter eggs this year. Having looked at the recipe a little closer, however, I was undecided. I really can’t get my head around US measurements and what did two packages of Graham crackers equate to anyway? So, when I had some cake left over from trimming the chocolate matcha battenberg, I decided to use that as the base for a filling instead.

Truffle Easter Eggs

My usual aversion to faffing about came into play, so my chocolate eggs didn’t look in the least professional. I was, however, pleased that I’d made the attempt. Most people I know prefer homemade over commercial offerings and these certainly looked homemade. I did try to temper the chocolate, but it wasn’t as successful as I’d hoped. I will get this tricky process cracked this year, I will!

Luckily, my mother, for whom the majority of these were destined, was very impressed and thought them utterly delicious. CT also got in on the act. He thought they were the best Easter eggs he’d ever had. He could, of course, be a little biased. With their nice crisp chocolate shell and melt in the mouth innards, he reckoned they were just like a real egg. Hmm!

Easter Egg Platter

These cake truffles are best kept for the adults. Not only do they contain alcohol, but they’re not designed for an instant sugar hit either.. They are slow food to be savoured carefully and enjoyed at length. The bitter dark chocolate is a good foil to the softer sweeter filling.

I know these truffle Easter eggs are a little late in the day, but this is the last of my Easter platter posts. Although really, they don’t have to be Easter eggs at all. I think they’d make a lovely gift on any occasion, especially if you’ve mastered the art of tempering chocolate.

Easter Egg Platters

For Easter this year, I decided to give Easter egg platters rather than buy large eggs. I prepared two of them, one for my mother and one for CT. The platter did contain some bought mini chocolate Easter eggs, but also some of these truffle Easter eggs, some homemade Easter nests and one of my Amaretto Easter cupcakes.

Easter Egg Platter

Show Me Your Cake Truffles

Thanks for visiting Tin and Thyme. If you make these truffle Easter eggs, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below or via social media. Do share photos on your preferred social media site and use the hashtag #tinandthyme, so I can spot them. For more delicious and nutritious recipes, follow me on TwitterFacebook, Instagram or Pinterest.

Truffle Easter Eggs. PIN IT.

Easter Egg Platter

Truffle Easter Eggs – The Recipe

Homemade Cake Truffle Easter Eggs
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

Truffle Easter Eggs

These truffles have a nice crisp chocolate shell and a melt in the mouth filling. The filling is made from leftover cake crumbs, so they're a brilliant 'more food, less waste' recipe. Shape them into balls, rather than eggs and you have cake truffles for any time of the year.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Freezing Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Course: After Dinner, Snack
Cuisine: British
Keyword: dark chocolate, Easter, easter eggs, leftovers, truffles
Servings: 15 truffles

• 1 oz (30g ) unsalted butter
  • ½ oz (15g) golden caster sugar
  • 1 dsp fruit liqueur (I used homemade rhubarb liqueur)
  • 5 oz (140g) cake crumbs (blitz leftover cake into crumbs in a food processor or blender)
  • 150 g dark chocolate (I used 72% G&B Cook's chocolate)

• Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the liqueur.
  • Add the cake crumbs and mix until all is thoroughly combined.
  • Take walnut sized pieces and roll between the palms of your hands to form some semblance of an egg shape. I made 15. Put the pieces onto a tray lined with baking paper and place in the freezer for ½ an hour.
  • Melt 100g of the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of hot, but not boiling water. Remove from the heat and add a further 50g. Leave for a few minutes to melt, then stir. This is a very basic method of tempering chocolate. It should make the chocolate on your truffles look better for longer.
  • Dip the eggs into the chocolate and put back on the baking paper to set. As the truffle eggs are frozen, this shouldn't take long. Decorate as you see fit before the chocolate has set. I used mini sugar stars..

1. Jacqueline

3rd May 2011 at 6:24 am

I think they look great. Love the little stars on top.

I am very intrigued by the rhubarb liqueur. Where did you get it and is it rhubarby?

2. Dom at Belleau Kitchen

3rd May 2011 at 8:33 am

these look brilliant, so they’re a little like those daft cake-pops which are everywhere at the moment but yours actually look and sound like they’d taste amazing… and a little more inventive too! I also am intrigued by the rhubarb liqueur…sounds too good!

3. Kath

3rd May 2011 at 8:48 am

These sound so lovely. A great idea to use the battenberg trimmings up and mixed with that rhubarb liquer. Lovely, lovely. You will master the art of tempering, you will!

4. James Brewer

3rd May 2011 at 12:40 pm

I always to prefer home made things, to look just that – home made! Shows the love and care that has gone into it.

Rhubarb liqueur sounds great – did you buy it or make it yourself?

3rd May 2011 at 12:51 pm

Jac – thank you. I made the liqueur and yes, it tastes very rhubarby. Basically bunged some chopped rhubarb in a large jar with a sealable lid, put in a bit of sugar and topped up with vodka. Then left for a year.

Dom – so glad you said what you did about the cake pops – I have wondered why? See above for rhubarb liqueur.

Kath – thank you, so glad you’ve got faith in me – confidence usually needs a boost.

James – thank you. Good to hear you say that. I prefer the home made look, but there are so many amazingly profesional looking creations out there, I do feel sometimes undermined. Rhubarb liqueur I made myself.

6. Maria♥

3rd May 2011 at 4:25 pm

Those look so cute, love the stars!

Maria
    x

7. oxslip

3rd May 2011 at 6:02 pm

Oo booze-soaked, rhubarby cake plus chocolate. Yum
    But what is a cake pop? I clearly don’t read the right blogs

8. Andrea

3rd May 2011 at 6:06 pm

Yes, I generally think US measurements when I write out my blogs. Sorry for any confusion on the graham crackers. I think your eggs look like a big hit with the cake crumbs! Great idea!

9. MissCakeBaker

3rd May 2011 at 7:35 pm

Ooooh look lovely!

10. Brownieville Girl

3rd May 2011 at 8:19 pm

I think these sound delicious, far better than any commercial Easter egg!

4th May 2011 at 10:26 am

sounds delicious to me – I still have some white chocolate mud cake in my freezer and am thinking of doing cake pops – wish I had rhubarb liqueur to put in it

12. Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours

4th May 2011 at 9:31 pm

Rhubarb Liqueur!

This I need.

13. Gloria

4th May 2011 at 10:50 pm

I love these easter eggs, look delicious!!! gloria

5th May 2011 at 5:25 am

Maria – thank you. Can no longer remember where I got the stars from, but would like to get more as they are so useful for decorating cakes etc.

Oxslip – you’re obviously not out there in cakey world, cake pops seem to be the latest craze.

Andrea – thank you and thanks for the inspiration. How much is a package of graham crackers?

MCB – thank you.

BVG – thank you for encouraging words. Very pleased to see you back on the scene again.

Johanna – I’m going to have to get around to making some of this white chocolate mud cake.

Helen – do it now – so easy. It’s just the waiting :-S

Gloria – Thank you. In the unlikely event I have left over cake again, I shall have these very much in mind.

7th May 2011 at 5:50 pm

I am so stealing your rhubarb idea! Great truffle recipe too ;0)

7th March 2013 at 1:26 pm

And did you ever do anything with the idea Chele?

16. Mark Whittaker

6th March 2013 at 3:09 am

Fantastic recipe , I will try this next week. Do you have any advice on how to get the meted choc coating to the truffle. I tried to coat some last year and it just ran offr ! Does the freezing help. If I coated the truffle in cocoa would it give something for the choc to stick too ? Advice would be appreciated xx

7th March 2013 at 1:25 pm

Thank you Mark. Strangely, I’ve never had the problem you describe. I wonder what type of chocolate you used. A good quality chocolate shouldn’t rally be a problem. Freezing might help as the chocolate sets almost as soon as it touches the truffles.

17. Dee Johnson

16th March 2013 at 11:23 am

My Daughter introduced me to cake pops. What a fab idea they are. Sorry a bit of topic but was reading the comments lol. I really love the truffle easter eggs. Would love to have a go. Would also love to have a go making my own traditional easter eggs too.

18. Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce

9th March 2014 at 10:56 pm

Choclette, I attempted to make a battenberg today and have a lot of leftover cake!! A huge amount. This recipe sounds perfect for helping me use up this cake. Your battenberg looked great but I had trouble with my homemade marzipan too. If I can get a decent photo I may blog it but in the meantime I shall be thinking which liqueur is best to make these truffles!